Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

Gauge Cluster Flashing

4K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  BillV 
#1 ·
Today while riding my 06 1000 I noticed that the cluster started flashing on and off. Everything would go blank and start again as when it cycles through when you turn on the ignition. It did that about five or six times within 15 seconds. Now the interesting thing is that it only did it when running between 120 and 130 mph and the motor continued to run normal. Once I throttled down the system went back to normal. At first I thought it could be a loose connection that got moved around a little with the wind and since it all worked well shortly after I continued on. Well about three hours later I hit the 120 mark again and the exact same thing happened. I throttled down under 120 and it all went back to normal. The only thing different this time and I am not sure if this has anything to do with this, is that the seating area was real hot around the same time it happened. Now it was a hot day today (in the 90s) but I have never had to lift myself from the seat just to get some cool air down below before they fried.
I will be checking the cluster connections for sure, but the fact that it only happened between a certain mph range and the heat issue I’m thinking it could be something else. As for the electronics installed on this bike, I have a power commander, HIDs and a speedo DRD. I recently changed the stator cover and the stator looked good. No FI codes.
Any Suggestions what to look for?

See less See more
#3 ·
You could be exactly right BillV, that may be it. I may have loosened that connector when I removed the fairing for the Stator cover exchange. I did notice that connector moving around some while riding at one point today. I will check it out and secure it. Thanks for the help.

#4 ·
Sorry to revive an old thread but I think I'm having the same issue and I think I have the same problem but I'm not sure which connector BillV is referring to...do I need to remove the left fairing to get acccess to this connector? I tried to follow the harness coming from the instrument cluster, looks like there's two connectors which I tried unplugging/replugging and then it looks like it goes into the actual left fairing...can someone confirm or provide any photos? Thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.