Serious KTM Super Duke Vs K3 ? - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 09:29 PM Thread Starter
Provisional Novice

Garage
Serious KTM Super Duke Vs K3 ?

1st and foremost I bleed KTM Orange. I've owned many of their 2 Stroke Off road Dirt bikes (Mostly 300EXC's) and have loved the brand for a variety of reasons.

I currently have a very nicely sorted and set up to my preference 2003 GSXR 1000. It has the LSL Super-bike Bar kit on it and various other SATO and Yoshi bits. Its a wickedly fast bike and does everything I could ever really want it to, certainly it exceeds my abilities at every measure on the streets. With the LSL kit its very comfy for my 43 year old beat up body and short stature. With the gearing I have on the bike its a beast in the city and makes my daily commutes highly entertaining.

However, I've always wanted a KTM Superduke since it was 1st released. Recently I've been fortunate enough to have the cash to be able to purchase a Superduke outright, couple that with the Styling upgrades (To me that new headlight is orgasmic), along with the Electronic Rider Aide Suite additions to the 2017 version had me rushing to put a deposit down on one.

I've ridden Twins and V-4's and understand how differently the power characteristics are compared to an inline four's, what I'm wondering is, after some soul searching, is will I be disappointed with the 2017 Super Duke R 1290 compared to my sorted 2003 1000?

I wonder just how much difference their will be in top speeds?

I wonder how badly the lack of wind protection and ability to tuck in will be?

I know I'll love the Torq. increase and the ability to power wheel in any of the 1st 4 gears but will I be discouraged when messing around with my buddies who ride a 2002, 2008 and 2015 GSXR1000?

Again, none of us go to the track, and only occasionally do top speed blasts, most of our rides are spent on twisty, lonely country back roads where I think the nimble, and slim KTM will be at an advantage.

I worry about the lack of a top end Howl, the Top end rush of the 1290 SDR not comparing favorably to my current ride?

Then I think even if it doesn't compare, the new~ness of it, the sharp styling, my brand loyalty and desire to own it will overcome any shortcomings?

Thoughts? Should I pull the trigger? If I do, I will also add, at the time of purchase a set of BST Carbon Fiber Rims, a Shorai Battery, the Full Akrapovic Ti Exhaust and the associated Dealer ECU reflash which all added together should make the bike considerably lighter and add about 12HP bringing the claimed HP up to 189HP.

I guess I'm just trying to avoid buyers remorse.

Thanks for any insight.

Have you learned the lessons only of those who admired you, and were tender with you, and stood aside for you? Have you not learned great lessons from those who braced themselves against you, and disputed passage with you?
Walt Whitman
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 10:35 PM
Amateur

Motorcycle: 03 GSXR 1000
Re: Serious KTM Super Duke Vs K3 ?

I think you will be fine keeping with your buddies on one of those.

For years I battled it out with two superduke 990 riders and they rode um plenty fast...and in the really tight stuff, I had no advantage.

They've really taken that model to the limit..should be a riot. Buy it for the different riding experience. completely different class of machine

Last edited by Gixan; 01-11-2017 at 07:11 PM.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 11:17 PM
Likes Diiiiiiiiiiiiiiicks

Motorcycle: 2006 GSXR "250"
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktm300exc View Post
1st and foremost I bleed KTM Orange. I've owned many of their 2 Stroke Off road Dirt bikes (Mostly 300EXC's) and have loved the brand for a variety of reasons.

I currently have a very nicely sorted and set up to my preference 2003 GSXR 1000. It has the LSL Super-bike Bar kit on it and various other SATO and Yoshi bits. Its a wickedly fast bike and does everything I could ever really want it to, certainly it exceeds my abilities at every measure on the streets. With the LSL kit its very comfy for my 43 year old beat up body and short stature. With the gearing I have on the bike its a beast in the city and makes my daily commutes highly entertaining.

However, I've always wanted a KTM Superduke since it was 1st released. Recently I've been fortunate enough to have the cash to be able to purchase a Superduke outright, couple that with the Styling upgrades (To me that new headlight is orgasmic), along with the Electronic Rider Aide Suite additions to the 2017 version had me rushing to put a deposit down on one.

I've ridden Twins and V-4's and understand how differently the power characteristics are compared to an inline four's, what I'm wondering is, after some soul searching, is will I be disappointed with the 2017 Super Duke R 1290 compared to my sorted 2003 1000?

I wonder just how much difference their will be in top speeds?

I wonder how badly the lack of wind protection and ability to tuck in will be?

I know I'll love the Torq. increase and the ability to power wheel in any of the 1st 4 gears but will I be discouraged when messing around with my buddies who ride a 2002, 2008 and 2015 GSXR1000?

Again, none of us go to the track, and only occasionally do top speed blasts, most of our rides are spent on twisty, lonely country back roads where I think the nimble, and slim KTM will be at an advantage.

I worry about the lack of a top end Howl, the Top end rush of the 1290 SDR not comparing favorably to my current ride?

Then I think even if it doesn't compare, the new~ness of it, the sharp styling, my brand loyalty and desire to own it will overcome any shortcomings?

Thoughts? Should I pull the trigger? If I do, I will also add, at the time of purchase a set of BST Carbon Fiber Rims, a Shorai Battery, the Full Akrapovic Ti Exhaust and the associated Dealer ECU reflash which all added together should make the bike considerably lighter and add about 12HP bringing the claimed HP up to 189HP.

I guess I'm just trying to avoid buyers remorse.

Thanks for any insight.

Well, considering the older Superduke in stock form is making the same power to the wheel as your current bike is, and the new one is even more powerful, power is not your issue. It also makes more torque across the RPM range, so lifting the wheel is going to be far more frequent.
What you'll need to decided for yourself is if you're okay with the amount of wind you'll deal with. Because it's fully naked, there shouldn't be much or any buffeting, but the drag from your body is going to be greater. This means that you're going to have to grip tighter to the bars than you would on a bike with full fairings. The wind noise shouldn't be any different, and may even be quieter because the wind moving around your helmet is going to be clean, undisturbed air.
So, go ride one on the highway and see how you do with the increased pressure from the wind on your body. If you can live with it, you're going to be getting an awesome hooligan bike that will lift the wheels and be a blast.

2006 GSXR 250 with an Akrapovic full exhaust and a flashed ECM. 162whp, 77ft-lb. Slow-lane certified
2000 Honda VTR 1000. Practically a 250.

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 06:57 AM Thread Starter
Provisional Novice

Garage

Thanks Just_Nick for the reply.

I wish I had the opportunity to go take one, even a used one for a ride however I don't know anyone who owns one nor do I think the dealers will allow a test ride, guess I could ask though.

I'm OK with having to grip the bars tighter to hold on. I suppose extended Highway rides will be a bit more tiresome.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 07:01 AM Thread Starter
Provisional Novice

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixan View Post
I think you will be fine keeping with your buddies on one of those.

For years I battled it out with two superduke 990 riders and they road um plenty fast...and in the really tight stuff, I had no advantage.

They've really taken that model to the limit..should be a riot. Buy it for the different riding experience. completely different class of machine
Gixan, thanks for the reply. When I use to ride my Ex GF's '95 GS500E I would have a blast as I loved the feel of the Pararell Twin and could flog the smaller CC bike mercifully. Now I know the 1290SDR is far and away a different Exp. from the ole GS however perhaps that's just what I need, something different.

The 2017 model does seem to be, at least from reading the spec sheets and watching the Losail videos, to be completely bonkers.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 04:07 PM
Amateur

Motorcycle: 03 GSXR 1000

Quote:
Gixan, thanks for the reply. When I use to ride my Ex GF's '95 GS500E I would have a blast as I loved the feel of the Pararell Twin and could flog the smaller CC bike mercifully. Now I know the 1290SDR is far and away a different Exp. from the ole GS however perhaps that's just what I need, something different.

The 2017 model does seem to be, at least from reading the spec sheets and watching the Losail videos, to be completely bonkers.

10-4

Curious .. did you consider RC-8 ?

Seems it would provide a similar experience as the motors are very close.

a) Big V-twin
b) lighter and more nimble than SDR
c) adjustable riding position
d) windscreen
e) bitchin to look at ! SDR looks like a carnival..sorry lol

you got me browsing um lol.

post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 04:24 PM

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixan View Post
10-4

Curious .. did you consider RC-8 ?

Seems it would provide a similar experience as the motors are very close.

a) Big V-twin
b) lighter and more nimble than SDR
c) adjustable riding position
d) windscreen
e) bitchin to look at ! SDR looks like a carnival..sorry lol

you got me browsing um lol.

He wants comfort, that model would require him to buy riser bars because it's as aggressive as a GSXR.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 04:25 PM
Drill baby, DRILL!!!

Motorcycle: '05 GSX-R1000
Garage

That RC8 is badass looking.
There is one that shows up to bike nights in the summer at Quaker State in New Berlin WI.

I was out with my crew and a few of them were saying that KTM quit making there road bikes b/c they were too fast? I didn't want to start an argument, but I hadn't heard that.

I actually read a post that they have poor build quality- again- I have no idea, and I actually doubt that either.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 04:38 PM
Drill baby, DRILL!!!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd_Sails View Post
There is one that shows up to bike nights in the summer at Quaker State in New Berlin WI.

I was out with my crew and a few of them were saying that KTM quit making there road bikes b/c they were too fast? I didn't want to start an argument, but I hadn't heard that.

I actually read a post that they have poor build quality- again- I have no idea, and I actually doubt that either.
Well, I did find this that does n fact state they're only making a track model in 2017

KTM RC8 to Be Ditched, Replaced by Track-Only V4 Superbike - autoevolution
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 04:39 PM

Garage

Quote:

No More Superbikes for KTM - CEO Says They're Too Dangerous For Public RoadsTheRideAdvice.com
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 06:11 PM Thread Starter
Provisional Novice

Garage

There have been times were I've drooled over the RC8, and in more general terms drool over KTM's street going efforts however I do require something with a moderate amount of comfort due to some neck and back issues. 1st thing I did with the K3 was add the LSL Superbike Bar Kit....All day comfort with 1000cc devastation.

My co-worker who sold me the K3 to get a used RSVR Aprilia is going back to the a Gixxer, picking up a nice low mileage 08 model....The Aprilia was his dream bike, he lusted over it and while he had a tremendous amount of fun owning it (When parked no one came over to look at the 3 various yeared Gixxers, always to look at his machine) it never truly satisfied him like his 03 Gixxer. I'm fearing that I might find a similar fate.

I'm following my heart with this potential purchase but my brain is slowly intruding in on this purchase. This co-worker keeps stating that he agrees with all of the reasons why I plan on buying the KTM (New Bike Smell, Fancy Electronic Package(I'll probably shut most of them off though, LOL), Styling that I find awesome, and the upright seating position), what he thinks is going to happen is that it will be extremely difficult to hold onto the bike for extended periods on the highway, at higher speeds as there is nothing to tuck in behind. To an extent I know he's right but I've lusted after the SDR since it's introduction as a 990 and at this point I am lucky enough to be able to pull the trigger on one and figure you only live once, right?

I've had 3 Gixxers (95 1100, 96 750 SRAD and the 03 1000) and all of them have been amazing and made me very happy during ownership, I'm just hoping trying something new doesn't bite me in the ass.

Anyone hazard to guess the top speed of the new SDR? Not that it matters much.

As for the reliability I know there have been some issues with the various SDR (Rear Wheel Bearings? or something?) however the numerous Dirtbikes I've owned from them were nothing but bullet proof with top notch components on them from the factory. Although I was the type to strip the bike down to the frame after each season so maybe that had something to do with the longevity and happy ownership?

Keep it coming guys, love the thoughts, comments and insight.

Have you learned the lessons only of those who admired you, and were tender with you, and stood aside for you? Have you not learned great lessons from those who braced themselves against you, and disputed passage with you?
Walt Whitman
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 06:30 PM
----------------

Motorcycle: 2008 SV650S

I'd love to own a 1290 SDR. Read a lot of great reviews on it. How bout you keep the gixxer too? - best of both worlds.
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 06:42 PM

Garage

Quote:
There have been times were I've drooled over the RC8, and in more general terms drool over KTM's street going efforts however I do require something with a moderate amount of comfort due to some neck and back issues. 1st thing I did with the K3 was add the LSL Superbike Bar Kit....All day comfort with 1000cc devastation.

My co-worker who sold me the K3 to get a used RSVR Aprilia is going back to the a Gixxer, picking up a nice low mileage 08 model....The Aprilia was his dream bike, he lusted over it and while he had a tremendous amount of fun owning it (When parked no one came over to look at the 3 various yeared Gixxers, always to look at his machine) it never truly satisfied him like his 03 Gixxer. I'm fearing that I might find a similar fate.

I'm following my heart with this potential purchase but my brain is slowly intruding in on this purchase. This co-worker keeps stating that he agrees with all of the reasons why I plan on buying the KTM (New Bike Smell, Fancy Electronic Package(I'll probably shut most of them off though, LOL), Styling that I find awesome, and the upright seating position), what he thinks is going to happen is that it will be extremely difficult to hold onto the bike for extended periods on the highway, at higher speeds as there is nothing to tuck in behind. To an extent I know he's right but I've lusted after the SDR since it's introduction as a 990 and at this point I am lucky enough to be able to pull the trigger on one and figure you only live once, right?

I've had 3 Gixxers (95 1100, 96 750 SRAD and the 03 1000) and all of them have been amazing and made me very happy during ownership, I'm just hoping trying something new doesn't bite me in the ass.

Anyone hazard to guess the top speed of the new SDR? Not that it matters much.

As for the reliability I know there have been some issues with the various SDR (Rear Wheel Bearings? or something?) however the numerous Dirtbikes I've owned from them were nothing but bullet proof with top notch components on them from the factory. Although I was the type to strip the bike down to the frame after each season so maybe that had something to do with the longevity and happy ownership?

Keep it coming guys, love the thoughts, comments and insight.
Your friend probably wasn't happy with the Aprilia because it's a V-twin. As much as I like their torque delivery, the V4 brings the best of both worlds from the I4 and the V2.

As far as the holding on thing, I had a ZRX1100 and would go on plenty of 110+ mile rides where the majority of it was spent above 70. You get used to holding on, and it really only gets bad if you're doing 100+ and trying to sit up normally.
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 07:07 PM
Drill baby, DRILL!!!

Garage

I know you've had some great bikes, and an 03 R1000, right?
While it's not worlds different, have you by chance spent any time on a K5/6 LiterBike?
ONe with at least a muffler, SET valve delete, and a TRE mod? Not too shabby a feel, I'm telling ya.
Just asking

Whatever you decide to do, I'm sure you'll like it
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 09:23 PM Thread Starter
Provisional Novice

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinc View Post
I'd love to own a 1290 SDR. Read a lot of great reviews on it. How bout you keep the gixxer too? - best of both worlds.
Financially I could however selling it will allow BST wheel purchase along with more than a few HArd Parts upgrades right out of the gate....But don't think the thought hasn't crossed my mind.
post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 09:27 PM Thread Starter
Provisional Novice

Garage

Quote:
I know you've had some great bikes, and an 03 R1000, right?
While it's not worlds different, have you by chance spent any time on a K5/6 LiterBike?
ONe with at least a muffler, SET valve delete, and a TRE mod? Not too shabby a feel, I'm telling ya.
Just asking

Whatever you decide to do, I'm sure you'll like it
I known the K5 is regarded as Mythical in the GSXR world and to be honest I've never thought of another Gixxer, my 03 fits me like a second skin, when I ride it, its like I konw what its going to do, and it knows what Im going to do, before either one of us do it, if that makes any sense. When I ride the 03 I'm so damn comfortable and confident I couldn't really see me moving on from it....Yet fate has allowed me to entertain purchasing a new motorcycle, pretty much anyone of my choosing and being that I use to bleed Orange, and have lusted after the Duke I figured why not, why not now.....Then I start to over think it.

Walt Whitman
post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 09:33 PM Thread Starter
Provisional Novice

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Nick View Post
Your friend probably wasn't happy with the Aprilia because it's a V-twin. As much as I like their torque delivery, the V4 brings the best of both worlds from the I4 and the V2.

As far as the holding on thing, I had a ZRX1100 and would go on plenty of 110+ mile rides where the majority of it was spent above 70. You get used to holding on, and it really only gets bad if you're doing 100+ and trying to sit up normally.
The Aprilia is a V-4 and the Katoom is a V-Twin.....There was this one day my Buddy and I wwere riding and I intently recall coming around a sweeping right hander where I went by him "On The Boil" with the K3 Screaming catching him out a bit....And though it wasn't a race, and we were both doing our own thing as far as coming through the corner me and the K3 hit it so hard, the wail was so loud, I passed him so quickly, that I think he finally realized that he just wasn't happy with the V's power delivery characteristics. Certainly his bike had an amazing sound at idle and taking off, but it just didn't rev like a I4 does and for him, he misses that, I'm trying to figure out if I will miss it too? I'm thinking about holding on at 160+ and how much of a chore that will be?

Walt Whitman
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 10:37 PM

Garage

Quote:
The Aprilia is a V-4 and the Katoom is a V-Twin.....There was this one day my Buddy and I wwere riding and I intently recall coming around a sweeping right hander where I went by him "On The Boil" with the K3 Screaming catching him out a bit....And though it wasn't a race, and we were both doing our own thing as far as coming through the corner me and the K3 hit it so hard, the wail was so loud, I passed him so quickly, that I think he finally realized that he just wasn't happy with the V's power delivery characteristics. Certainly his bike had an amazing sound at idle and taking off, but it just didn't rev like a I4 does and for him, he misses that, I'm trying to figure out if I will miss it too? I'm thinking about holding on at 160+ and how much of a chore that will be?
If he had an RSVR, that's a V-twin. Only the RSV4 is a V4. As far as what revs faster, that depends on the flywheel weight.
As far as doing 160, if the bike is even capable, you can do it by laying yourself as flat on the tank as you can. It's like tucking on the GSXR, except you're trying harder not to be ripped off. It's not very comfortable, but that should extend your life because you don't want to do those irresponsible speeds (assuming you're in the US).
post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 05:13 AM
Drunkz again

Motorcycle: 2006 GSX-R1000
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinc View Post
How bout you keep the gixxer too? - best of both worlds.
I was thinking the same thing while reading this thread. You could always do those completely unnecessary upgrades on the KTM later.
post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 06:50 AM Thread Starter
Provisional Novice

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Nick View Post
If he had an RSVR, that's a V-twin. Only the RSV4 is a V4. As far as what revs faster, that depends on the flywheel weight.
As far as doing 160, if the bike is even capable, you can do it by laying yourself as flat on the tank as you can. It's like tucking on the GSXR, except you're trying harder not to be ripped off. It's not very comfortable, but that should extend your life because you don't want to do those irresponsible speeds (assuming you're in the US).

He had the RSVR, I did a plug change (4) on it (PIA) so I just messed up the designation that I originally called it in one of my replies. Bonkers bike but ultimately disappointed him because of the power delivery which he was aware of when purchasing. As for the 160, as irresponsible as it is, it has occurred highly infrequently at the best possible times (Yes I know I'm a dumb irresponsible twat to both myself, others and the random wildlife that may be on the desolate highway at 1am) and I'm hoping that the KTM can get to that speed if not a bit higher, and if it can will it be highly difficulty to lay flat? I'm wondering if the headlight will help deflect some of the blast up and over? So are yo guys saying you don't think the SDR has the power\gearing\weight to get to 160MPH?

Walt Whitman
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode