Serious KTM Super Duke Vs K3 ? - Page 2 - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 06:53 AM Thread Starter
Provisional Novice

Garage
Re: Serious KTM Super Duke Vs K3 ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnage View Post
I was thinking the same thing while reading this thread. You could always do those completely unnecessary upgrades on the KTM later.
I know those stated upgrades are complete rubbish and not needed, LOL and I had originally planned on keeping the K3 yet I have a buddy of a riding buddy coming down on Thurs to drop a deposit off for it so I'm almost locked in to selling it.

Hell, even my GF wants me to keep the K3 as she doesn't think she'll be as comfy on the back of the SDR compared to the K3....
Todd_Sails likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 04:11 PM
Drill baby, DRILL!!!

Motorcycle: '05 GSX-R1000
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktm300exc View Post
He had the RSVR, I did a plug change (4) on it (PIA) so I just messed up the designation that I originally called it in one of my replies. Bonkers bike but ultimately disappointed him because of the power delivery which he was aware of when purchasing. As for the 160, as irresponsible as it is, it has occurred highly infrequently at the best possible times (Yes I know I'm a dumb irresponsible twat to both myself, others and the random wildlife that may be on the desolate highway at 1am) and I'm hoping that the KTM can get to that speed if not a bit higher, and if it can will it be highly difficulty to lay flat? I'm wondering if the headlight will help deflect some of the blast up and over? So are yo guys saying you don't think the SDR has the power\gearing\weight to get to 160MPH?
160mph? I thought a nearly stock Gixr 600 will do that?
post #23 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 05:00 PM
Drunkz again

Motorcycle: 2006 GSX-R1000
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd_Sails View Post
Actual top speed on a 600 should be in the low to mid 150s.

post #24 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 05:20 PM Thread Starter
Provisional Novice

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd_Sails View Post
I have no idea what a stock 600 will do.

Only know what the indicated Speed I've seen on my K3 (163MPH) yet don't know how realistic it is?

And just want to make sure I'm not jumping ship to a significantly slower bike.

I did watch the Losail videos of the SDR going full steam down the straight and I think it hit an indicated 260KPH which is around 160MPH?, I don't know if this is all the SDR had in it, if the rider let off due to running out of tarmac or what have you, just trying to figure out what the SDR is capable of....In the end Top Speed won't matter as its not something that happens much during the riding season yet I just want to make sure it's capable of hanging with the 08, 15 and 02 Gixxer 1000's I ride with. Actually all I'm really concerned with is the 08 as the '15 rider is a relatively new rider and stays within his pace, and the '02 rider could give a fuck less about any sort of bro type competitions, the '08 rider, who I bought my K3 off of is wickedly fast.

Have you learned the lessons only of those who admired you, and were tender with you, and stood aside for you? Have you not learned great lessons from those who braced themselves against you, and disputed passage with you?
Walt Whitman
post #25 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 07:31 PM
Drill baby, DRILL!!!

Motorcycle: '05 GSX-R1000
Garage

I've been over 400mph several times!

I always wait for the signal from the captain before reclining my seat back ;-)

Get the KTM, I'm sure you'll love it. I like the orange too!
I'm a TX Longhorn- Hook 'em Horns!
School color is Burnt Orange
post #26 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 10:29 PM
Expert

Motorcycle: 02 GSXR turbo 1k, 02 GSXR 1070, 86 GSXR 750 (92 1216 motor), 89 FZR 1000 (1070 motor), 94 GSXR 750 (95 1146 motor), BigBore 00 Busa
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnage View Post
Actual top speed on a 600 should be in the low to mid 150s.
Modern 600s can hit a legit 160 and maybe a little more depending on make/model.
post #27 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 12:07 AM
Track Day Winner

I looked at buying one 6 months ago, joined a few forums and FB pages. Started to see things like the speedos being way out and being an expensive fix needing new ABS rotors to sort it. Saw some pics of a broken 1290GT frame only a few weeks old.

I went to another city and rode one. Felt like a dirt bike. I just didnt click with it.

So I ended up buying a very low miles GSX1250FA and threw the entire Holeshot Performance catalogue at it. For me I love it. I do rider mentoring from it and tour on it as well as plod to work. Obviously nothing like the power and madness of the 1290 but also has a better road feel. It also allowed me to pick up the Gixxer and get powercommander, QS etc. And I still have 10k from the budget in the bank.

If I was going to head back to the idea of the super naked, Tuono Factory 1100 is stunning. I rode one and they are brilliant. But I couldnt ride it all day.

My 2c anyway from an old fart.
post #28 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 08:12 AM Thread Starter
Provisional Novice

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZSpokes View Post
I looked at buying one 6 months ago, joined a few forums and FB pages. Started to see things like the speedos being way out and being an expensive fix needing new ABS rotors to sort it. Saw some pics of a broken 1290GT frame only a few weeks old.

I went to another city and rode one. Felt like a dirt bike. I just didnt click with it.

So I ended up buying a very low miles GSX1250FA and threw the entire Holeshot Performance catalogue at it. For me I love it. I do rider mentoring from it and tour on it as well as plod to work. Obviously nothing like the power and madness of the 1290 but also has a better road feel. It also allowed me to pick up the Gixxer and get powercommander, QS etc. And I still have 10k from the budget in the bank.

If I was going to head back to the idea of the super naked, Tuono Factory 1100 is stunning. I rode one and they are brilliant. But I couldnt ride it all day.

My 2c anyway from an old fart.
That's some very good insight, thank you.

I'm assuming you test rode a '15/'16 Model? The '17 has some minor changes from my understanding, instrumentation (New TFT Display), wickedly awesome LED Headlight, less body work, a few more rider aids, that are more adjustable\configurable and last 4 more HP.

I actually like the thought of it feeling like a Dirt-Bike, that's when I feel the most comfortable, best thing I ever did for my K3 was put the Dirtbike bars on it, all day comfort.

If I'm going odd ball manufacturer, and naked I'm going with KTM due to my brand loyalty. I have heard that the Tuono is a great bike however after working on the RSV4R and there being no dealer close to me I'm planning on sticking with the KTM purchase.

Trust me, I have thought about taking the cash I have on hand and either keeping the K3 and throwing CF Wheels on it, a Full Ti Exhaust, and maybe a Turbo kit and having a lot of cash left over, or keeping the K3 as it is and building a used Turbo Busa....Whats drawing me to a new bike purchase is that I haven't bought a Brand New bike since my 96 750 SRAD, I haven't owned a bike as sophisticated as the SDR, or as sophisticated as any of the modern bikes for that matter so being lucky enough to so-call scratch this itch I'm trying to figure out if any of the down sides of buying the SDR are enough to keep me from buying it?

Have you learned the lessons only of those who admired you, and were tender with you, and stood aside for you? Have you not learned great lessons from those who braced themselves against you, and disputed passage with you?
Walt Whitman
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode