Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

Is my tps built back to front ????

2K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  dpapavas 
#1 ·
I have been having issues with my bike running rich, so after a lot of testing I found this interesting result from my TPS while going through the manual. Basicly when I hook everything up to test the open & closed throttle position I could not get a reading so I decided to swap the two outside terminals keeping the positive on the center wire and this is what i got. ( ). when the throttle is in closed position I get the open value and when it is open I get the closed value. Any thoughts would be appreciated and if you think this was a Friday afternoon lets get this finished quickly part then maybe I should contact Suzuki, its only been in there since 2003.

Attachments

See less See more
1 1
#2 ·
I'm not sure I understand correctly, but basically you have the TPS out and when you hook up the wires as mentioned in the manual, you get nothing, but when you hook them up in reverse you get the reverse of normal behavior? Is that it?

The TPS is just a pentionmeter, meaning a resistance with a wiper sliding across it. Now if you hook up one probe to one end of the resistance (one of the outside terminals) and the other to the wiper (the center terminal), you're going to get minimum resistance when the wiper is close to the probed terminal (because there's less of a resisting material between them) and the maximum resistance when at the other end. As you can see, swapping the probed terminal should indeed reverse the behavior of the TPS, so that part is normal.

Not getting a reading while probing the other terminal isn't though. Try putting one probe at each outside terminal. You should read the total resistance of the TPS, somewhere around 5KΩ presumably. If you read nothing, one of the outside terminals has failed internally and you'll have to replace the part. Make sure you're measuring properly and have selected an appropriate range.

#3 ·
In the manual you connect the centre to pin and the bottom pin, when I do this I get nothing. When I connect the centre pin and the top pin I get 5 KV at closed throttle and 0.8 KV approx at open throttle. There's is only one way to attach the TPS to the main throttle body. I don't even know if it would be possible to insert the internal parts upside down but that is what it appears to be to me. Maybe the manual is written wrong.

#4 · (Edited)
Ok so i measured the resistance between the 2 outside pins and they read 0.98 and if i twist the inside of the pedometer i get 5.24. That sort of makes sense. Do you think that the picture in the manual is incorrect and I should be probing the two outside pins not the center and the bottom one shown in the manual.? I have just downloaded the K5 manual and it says to test the two outside pins to check the correct settings, maybe the k4 manual is wrong. Did I stuff around with this thing for hours because of some desk jockey's printing error?

#5 · (Edited)
I have connected the TPS back up to my main throttle body, when i test the resistance at closed throttle i cannot get a lower reading than 1.3 KΩ with it installed in the bike( 0.98 KΩ ) out of bike, manual says 1.1KΩ. I can adjust the open throttle reading to 4.3 KΩ which is the open throttle setting in the manual, ( 5.24 KΩ ) when remover from bike. My question is does this mean anything really as i will need to manipulate the TPS to set it up anyway to get the C00- setting on the dash.? do I really need to get the 1.1 KΩ in the closed throttle position.

#6 ·
Sorry, I can't speak from experience, as I don't have a K3/4 1000. I've checked the wiring diagram for your model and all wires are routed to the ECM, so it's hard to be sure what is what. Based on the colors, the two outer wires (red and black/brown) should be +5V and sensor ground and the middle pink/black wire should be the TPS output. The K6/7 750 manual confirms that, as it has a schematic of the TPS to ECU connection on page 4-44. It also indicates that the TPS is just a potentiometer with the wiper in the center terminal as I've assumed.

If that is the case you should get ~5KΩ on the outer terminals and between ~0ΚΩ (1KΩ in your case it seems) and ~5KΩ when probing the center and either of the outer terminals and turning the TPS shaft. You don't get that and I can't imagine why that would be, unless you're either measuring wrong or have a fautly TPS. Make sure your aligator clips aren't touching. When you say that you "could not get a reading" when probing as described in the manual, what do you mean exactly? What to do you get? Because if you get 0Ω no matter where the TPS shaft is, that would constitute a reading and even start to make some sense. In that case the center terminal and one of the outer terminals would seem to have somehow shorted. Try to put the meter in continuity mode and see if you can get a beep when probing the terminals you can't get a reading of. Move the TPS shaft around and see if anything changes.

Regarding the K5 manual telling you to measure the outer pins, are you sure it's not just saying that you should measure the sensor input voltage accross those terminals? In the end, I suppose you should aim to have the bar before C00 in the middle, when the engine is warmed up and idling. You should also check to make sure that the bar goes to the high position as soon as you crack open the throttle (there will be a slight time delay until the bar responds). I have a feeling it might not...

#7 ·
Please check the wire colors to your TPS. Is it P/B top, R middle, and B/Br bottom? If so the second diagram on 4-34 of the service manual is in error. The A-B measurement shown should be a constant 4.68 KΩ (about). To check the throttle closed/open resistance, measure the resistance between the outermost terminals (you might as well also measure between the top and middle terminals). The resistance should smoothly and continuously vary between the listed values as the throttle turns (will be opposite for the top/middle terminals). K3/K4 uses the same TPS as K5/K6.

#8 ·
Thanks, I have sorted it all out now. I checked on the K5 manual to confirm that some guy on crack cocaine must have drawn that picture in the K3/4 manual, that's a few hours of my life I will never get back trying to figure that one out.

#9 ·
Still, your measurements don't seem consistent, no matter what the terminal configuration on your TPS is. You should be able to measure some resistance, no matter which pair of terminals you're probing. The resistance should be changing as you turn the shaft on two of the pairs and be constant and equal to the maximum value on the other.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.