• 1 Post By Just_Nick
  • 3 Post By SSGSXR

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 05:25 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Motorcycle: K1 1K
Garage
My K1 1K

Been using the forum for a while and decided to get my R and get more in depth in the forum. Here my bike.
Picked it up last spring. Put about 5k miles on it this past season. It's stretched 8", pc3, full yoshi exhaust with shortened can(modified myself), Barnett clutch with hd springs, lowered 2" front and rear, led headlights, integrated taillight with safety blinker, hot bodies undertail with custom plate mount and a full custom fairing kit(race inspired livery).
I had the faring kit custom made for me(nose, sides, tail, front fender). They were made by a Chinese company but after much research and communication, this builder had 100% positive feedback and great reviews, plus was willing to do a custom kit. They are excellent quality, fit was perfect, paint is spectacular, material is on par with oem and builder was very good with communication and sending me pics of each step as he went along to make sure it was what I wanted. Took about 2 months to receive, but well worth it I think.

I'm more into the drag racing scene, so I'm currently in the process of installing a Zex nitrous kit aswell.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0039.jpg (93.4 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0581.jpg (121.5 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0161.jpg (51.8 KB, 15 views)

I'm a gsxr rider for life.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 05:57 AM
I CAN tell the difference between a squirrel and a monkey...

Location: In the garage, smoking one of Anthony D's cigars...
Motorcycle: None, gave them all to Anthony D...
Re: My K1 1K

Looks good. Always been a fan of the K1/2. Never been a fan of Chinese plastics,but if you're happy and if they don't fall apart by next year I guess you got your money's worth.
Nitrous...ah yes. I've danced that dance a looong time ago and,never again.
How much are you spraying and what supporting mods have you done?

Personally,I feel spray on a street bike sucks,you make a few pulls against whomever and once that 1lb or 2lb bottle is empty might as well head home cause your racing is done.

Last thing...is the shock stock or re-valved? Being 8" over and spraying isn't gonna work too well unless you have the right chassis set-up. And that tire isn't gonna hook well at all.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-Fueled the fires towards the Great Banning Of 2016
'82 GS 1100E
'97 DS 80
'00 Turbo Busa
'05 Turbo GSXR 1K
'09 Busa
'13 GSXR 1K-192rwhp sold

R.I.P. Junior,your time with me was not enough. You will forever be in my heart,as a part of me has now been lost.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

10/04/2009---10/12/2015
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 08:03 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgixxer View Post
Looks good. Always been a fan of the K1/2. Never been a fan of Chinese plastics,but if you're happy and if they don't fall apart by next year I guess you got your money's worth.
Nitrous...ah yes. I've danced that dance a looong time ago and,never again.
How much are you spraying and what supporting mods have you done?

Personally,I feel spray on a street bike sucks,you make a few pulls against whomever and once that 1lb or 2lb bottle is empty might as well head home cause your racing is done.

Last thing...is the shock stock or re-valved? Being 8" over and spraying isn't gonna work too well unless you have the right chassis set-up. And that tire isn't gonna hook well at all.

K1/2 are my favorites for sure.
The plastics have been on for almost 8 months now and seem to be very solid. It sits outside at work in the sun, rain ect and they haven't waivered. But I wash and polish it weekly. I was skeptical about them at first, but so far so good. People love the look.
As for the nitrous, I only plan on like a 15 shot with a 2# bottle, just for fun for me. And as far as I know the shock is stock. The motor is supposed to have a cam swap and headwork. But I have no proof of this without actually opening her up and no local k1 1ks to compare it to. Also yes, the tire doesn't hook up very well even just on motor, I find myself spinning pretty hard with out a decent burnout. I'm gonna try something else next. The previous owner was into racing it aswell, he had it more as a sleeper(hiding all the factory 1k badging, less flashy). For me it's more just to have a fun toy to jump on a ride wherever, but still hold its own against some of its younger siblings, and eventually be able to take to the track and put down some decent numbers. I'm not as competitive as I used to be(got it out of my system when I drag raced classic cars). I'm more so perfectly good with just taking it out for a cruise/ride and just opening it up a bit for fun, if/when I find a decent back country road. I've got a lot to learn yet, but that's why I finally just joined the group on here. Already see a good amount of mods and setups I've never considered.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 09:31 AM
Drill baby, DRILL!!!

Motorcycle: '05 GSX-R1000
Garage

Welcome

Your bike looks really good.- My favorite colors

I've never rode a stretched bike though- have heard not great for the deep cornering- which is more of what I prefer.
And yes, I understand you prefer some 1/4mi. track runs, where I'm sure it helps.

* if you could- maybe post a link/website to that Chi-Com fairing maker?
I'm not in need (yet anyways), but I'm sure others would like it after your feedback

Last edited by Todd_Sails; 01-08-2017 at 02:23 PM.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 02:20 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd_Sails View Post
Welcome

Your bike looks really good.- My favorite colors

I've never rode a stretched bike though- have heard not great for the deep cornering- which is more of what I prefer.
And yes, I understand you prefer some track runs, where I'm sure it helps.

* if you could- maybe post a link/website to that Chi-Com fairing maker?
I'm not in need (yet anyways), but I'm sure others would like it after your feedback
Thanks, it's my first stretched bike. So it's s bit different to me also. If I try and hard charge a corner, I've had it try to plow the front tire out several times instead of turn. Doesn't help the front tire is a q1 also. But yeah for me mostly on the street and hopefully the occasional drag strip weekend, it's a good thing to have. I just corner a bit slower now. I plan on picking up a cheap k1 600 for the twisties later this year, but other projects are my focus now.
As for the company that did my fairings they are NT-Fairing.

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 12:23 AM
Drunkz again

Motorcycle: 2006 GSX-R1000
Garage

Welcome man. Lots of us around here love the K1 1000 if only for nostalgic reasons. Problem is...there ain't that many of them left running around anymore. Anyway, you'll get along just fine around here. Just be sure to keep us posted on all your future mods.
fastlifekm likes this.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 10:22 AM
Lifetime Premium

Motorcycle: 2013 GL 1800 Lvl 3 Super Comp Kawaski 1425 Drag Bike 1425 Kawaski Turbo NOS pro Street 2012 DR 650 2001 GSXR 1000
Garage

I like the K1 and K2 as well...HaHa... Nice bike...and welcome to the Forum...

John
fastlifekm likes this.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 11:53 AM
Likes Diiiiiiiiiiiiiiicks

Motorcycle: 2006 GSXR "250"
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastlifekm View Post
Thanks, it's my first stretched bike. So it's s bit different to me also. If I try and hard charge a corner, I've had it try to plow the front tire out several times instead of turn. Doesn't help the front tire is a q1 also. But yeah for me mostly on the street and hopefully the occasional drag strip weekend, it's a good thing to have. I just corner a bit slower now. I plan on picking up a cheap k1 600 for the twisties later this year, but other projects are my focus now.
As for the company that did my fairings they are NT-Fairing.
If it's not strictly a drag bike, I think you need to ditch that stretch. It sounds completely dangerous, which is the whole reason we recommend against stretching bikes.
fastlifekm likes this.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 11:48 PM
Provisional Novice

Motorcycle: GSX-R1000 K2

Quote:
Also yes, the tire doesn't hook up very well even just on motor, I find myself spinning pretty hard with out a decent burnout. I'm gonna try something else next. I'm more so perfectly good with just taking it out for a cruise/ride and just opening it up a bit for fun, if/when I find a decent back country road.

Nice bike...

What's your best quarter mile time so far?

As a comparison for you, I've run my stock OEM suspension GSXR1000 K2 (stock OEM exhaust at the time too) a couple of times down the quarter just for fun a few years ago, no burnout required at all... just rode around the water straight up to the line, to keep the tyre's totally dry.

Never had any issues with traction what so ever, zero spinning up of the rear tyre. All I had to deal with was keeping the front wheel down thru 1st gear, without backing off from over doing it. Did heaps of runs and any runs that I did where the front wheel came up too much and I had to back off, totally wrecked the run... Being less aggressive and smooth (feathering throttle thru 1st) worked the best for me.

My best time was a 10.3 seconds @ 139.55mph or 224.6km/h, which I was more than happy with for my street bike. (BTW no cams, no tune, no exhaust, stock gearing, 100% stock OEM....)

Its your bike and you can do whatever you want with it......... But if it spends most of its time on the street and only the odd weekend at the strip, I'd put a standard length swing arm back on it, and set it back up for street duties IMO, you'll get alot more fun/use out of it on the street and thru the twisties, and it'll ride 1000% better than it does now... No need to buy the 600 then... Win.. Win...

Plus the long swing arm, and even less grip on the street than the strip, it'll be useless on the street, as it is ATM. All looks, but no traction and no handling...

Setup up street use, you get the best of both worlds... works awesome on the street where it'll spend the majority of the time and you can still take it to the strip for the odd blast... instead of both Street & Strip duties being compromised....
oldgixxer, JGDJR and fastlifekm like this.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 02:02 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Garage

It took a bit to get used to, but for now, and what I'm doing with it, and my power plans. I'm gonna leave it as is. I've been riding it for 8 months or so now.
So I know pretty well how she reacts in situations and it's limitations. There's not a ton of twisties by me as it is, so I'm not carving up much anyway. Plus another bike in the corral is always good. And I love the full throttle pulls off the line. Originally before I lowered the front, on full twist take off, I had had the front tire coming off the ground about 3" and carried threw first gear and half of second. As for the back tire I went to tall this time(190/60-17) over the 190/50-17 it had, so direction changes are quick, but straight line traction is meh.

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 02:18 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnage View Post
Welcome man. Lots of us around here love the K1 1000 if only for nostalgic reasons. Problem is...there ain't that many of them left running around anymore. Anyway, you'll get along just fine around here. Just be sure to keep us posted on all your future mods.
Thanks.
Yeah that's for sure, by far my favorite body style of gsxr 1k. But incredibly hard to find in good shape these days(much like the TL1000R). Most I see pop up for sale are crashed, backyard scratched together or just weren't cared for. I had a blue/white k1 750 about 8 years ago that set me on the path I find myself on now. It took me about 7 months of searching, before I found this 1k. Definitely was worth the wait. That first day(cold/raining) when I picked it up and rode it home(mind you it had been several years since I'd been on a sport bike and never an inline 1k), I was grinning from ear to ear. Definitely a keeper.

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 04:03 AM
Provisional Novice

Motorcycle: GSX-R1000 K2

Quote:
It took a bit to get used to, but for now, and what I'm doing with it, and my power plans. I'm gonna leave it as is. I've been riding it for 8 months or so now.
So I know pretty well how she reacts in situations and it's limitations. There's not a ton of twisties by me as it is, so I'm not carving up much anyway. Plus another bike in the corral is always good. And I love the full throttle pulls off the line. Originally before I lowered the front, on full twist take off, I had had the front tire coming off the ground about 3" and carried threw first gear and half of second. As for the back tire I went to tall this time(190/60-17) over the 190/50-17 it had, so direction changes are quick, but straight line traction is meh.
You missed my only question, I should of put it at the end, instead of the start...

What's your best quarter time so far, out of interest?
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-14-2017, 10:42 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGSXR View Post
You missed my only question, I should of put it at the end, instead of the start...

What's your best quarter time so far, out of interest?
No recorded time in. I got into the weekend street racing, so we don't have times, just winners and losers. It's no slouch, I've put away much newer cbr 1k's, r1's, zx's ect. The plan is to take it to the track this year and keep her off the street.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode