Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

K4 Engine swap into K1

8K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  kwaka10r 
#1 ·
Hi All

I have just gotten my paws on a k1 GSXR1000 with a siezed motor (previous owner ran it without oil).
Now, I can get a k4 motor in good nick. Will I have any issues fitting the K4 engine, or would I need the ecu as well?

I will start a thread this weekend on the build up with photos,and hopefully be up and running pretty soon.

#4 ·
If you want to use the original K1 electrics, before you swap the motors, you have to take the crank position sensor rotor off of the original K1 engine and put it on the K4 motor. It might be easier to swap all the electrics though as it is behind the cam chain and cam chain guides (head must come off). :cheers

#5 ·
^^^^Uggh thats a big job

#7 ·
^That's just what came to my mind. The parts fiche shows the K1 as having the two upper mounts on the head while K4 has one on the head and one on the block. Off hand, you might have to give up a mount or swap heads or something else.

"in good nick". Are you in the UK?

#12 ·
I believe you are correct.

I'm pretty sure a manual CCT must be used with a K3/4 head on a K1/2 block. The 03/04 hydraulic CCT feed is from the block to the head.

The 01/02 feed is an external oil line from the block. It may be possible to use the K1/2 OEM CCT on the K3/4 head. Haven't look into that.

#11 ·
IIRC, without researching it again, there is an extra unused mount on the K1/K2 head that is not on the K3/4 head.

EDIT: Both the K1/2 and K3/4 use one head mount and one block mount each side.

So a K3/4 head should fit a K1/2 frame or vica versa. It better as I have a Tim Radley ported K3/4 head to go on my K1.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.