Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

gsxr1000 k2 clutch problem

3K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  kendizx9r 
#1 ·
Hi all
the clutch on my k2 thou is very stiff to operate, not had the bike long but when i purchased it i rode it home about 20 miles and i did notice the clutch was hard to use but assumed it had to do with the shorty levers to which i replaced with standard length soon as possible, anyway the clutch is still hard work i also have a new cable installed plus the worm gear i think its called that pushes the rod that as also has been cleaned and re-greased but still i have this problem, also noticed when pulling in the clutch lever i can hear something like rough scraping sound down near the clutch mechanism any ideas?

#2 · (Edited)
Have you checked to see if the PO installed HD/stiffer clutch springs? Maybe give him a call and ask.
Also check the clutch basket/hub for notches and/or grooves as this will bind up the plates and cause a host of funky clutch issues. How many miles are on this bike?

#3 ·
what oldgixxer is talking about is (in photo) were the two pointers are pointing at are wear points on a clutch basket or primary (the outer) and the hub (the inner) of the clutch housing .
the metal disc wear the sliders of the hubs and the fiber plates wear the outer primary .
if you run your finger on the contact areas of the hub and primary they should be smooth . over time they will get groves in them from the clutch discs . this will like stated give you some funny feelings with a clutch . you can get a notchy feeling if bad enough you will get the clutch hanging up and it will be hard to pull the lever as the grove will hold the discs from moving freely in and out .

another thing to look at is the clutch release spring on the clutch cam lever . that is the part you stated you greased .
on my car i had no feel with the clutch as it's a foot peddle not a lever . i upped the spring rate to give me more feel of the peddle . the sad thing is people do hack things because they know nothing about what they are doing so your spring could have been replaced with a non stock spring rated spring .

you may check the cable routing too if the cable makes some kind of hard bend for the cable being routed the wrong way this will also give a bad feeling clutch pull .
get your self a cable lubing tool they are low cost and you can lube your cables quick and easy with one . (blue thing in photo)

also the set of springs in the outer pressure disc could be aftermarket ones that are of a heaver spring rate . i did find on one of the spare GSXR motors i have the PO installed washers under the clutch springs. my guess is he or she though it would do some thing for better clutch lock up ??? to me all it did was make the clutch feel like dog crap !

Attachments

#6 · (Edited)
Modern clutch cables doesn't get lubed, they run through teflon lines. If Worn out just replace it. Lube doesn't get teflon back, which is what makes cables run smoothly.
Shorty clutch levers are certainly bad for shifting since I personally use all fingers.
Start replacing this two, a new clutch cable could be like night&day If high on milleage

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.