Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

My latest snag. 01 TURBO 1000

5K views 51 replies 17 participants last post by  Just_Nick 
#1 ·
New member here. Furthermore time posying. But just wanted to get people's opinions on my bike. Be honest with me lol

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Any plans to run that at the strip? Don't care for the chrome. OG is our resident turbo guy and moderator here. He'll have the the best opinion and will likely chime in when he gets a chance.

#5 ·
Cant see much of the turbo goodies,but the bike looks ratty..and no air filter on the intake of the turbo is a bad idea. Pull the plastics,pop the tank and lets have a look at whatchu gots.

Reactions: fuzzdangerous
#11 ·
I still have a Lil bit to do to it yet. I got the filter on it today the guy had really fine mesh over the cold side of the turbo when I got it. Also have license plate bracket and other this to make it "street legal". Luckily the cops around here in Ohio don't really mess with motorcycles at all. But for what I paid I'm extremely happy with it.

#13 ·
:eek
@oldgixxer look at those welds.

:facepalm

OP, as long as you are happy, that is all that matters.

#14 ·
Oh man:eek
If you just bought it,first thing Id do before riding it,is bring it to a reputable shop that has turbo tuning experience and have them put it on the dyno to check the tune. If your AFR is even slightly off,shit will start to melt and real fast.

#17 · (Edited)
Agree with everything @HeJason posted:fact
Once you go through the bike and make sure everything is sorted,you may have to take a road trip to a good tuner. Once you enter the realm of turbo bikes,the game changes...everything is now expensive,premium parts are a must&staying on top of maintenance is a must. Since you say you're only making 5psi Im guessing it's a stock engine. Which makes the tune even more important.

I've seen some home made kits cobbled together,and you'd think that he bike is never gonna run right or make power..but as long as a few concepts are executed properly,they can make big power:cheers

You can go here and ask the guys for a good tuner in your area;
Quality Turbo Install Centers.. | Page 7 | Hayabusa Owners Group

#16 ·
Usually Turbos and good deal used in conjunction sometimes means the previous owner knew something was up. I would do a compression test before you do anything. Does it burn oil or fill up the coolant overflo tank when you run it. Did you do an oil change, does it look like there is goldschlager in the oil? Maybe you got a good deal because the plastics are beat up, and hopefully that is the case and the motor/turbo are fine. Welcome to to the forum and keep us posted :cheers

#21 ·
I've already done a oil change and there was no metal or chocolate milk that came out. The previous owner had a magnetic oil drain plug in there. But I went threw everything on the bike and it is all checking out good. I've changes spark plugs. I went with stock plugs just made the gap a little smaller. Turbo is in goo shape with 0 shaft play. Have a rear tire on the way. Paint is not as bad in person. He had it done at a shop not just rattle canned in the back yard. Also have turn signals and license plate bracket as well

#23 ·
At first I hated the skull lol but the more I have the bike it grows on me more. I get tons of compliments on it. But if I wanna change it I have to get a new tail section and a undertail kit. Since it is hand molded in there. I've been looking at red vinyl decal kits to give the bike a Lititle bit more eye appeal.

#24 ·
When the turbo spools is there a noticeable kick in throttle response? What I mean by this is there are times you want the throttle to be as smooth as ice (in turns or doing a wheelie), are there times where you are doing movements like this and the turbo spools and interrupts the smoothness of the throttle? Just curious. I never rode a turbo bike.

#26 ·
It's more of a cruiser but I do plan to take it once or twice like I do all mike bikes just to see what she has lol. As far as throttle I haven't rode it enough to tell you. I have only gone about 3/4 throttle though. I don't wanna give all it has or ride to much on that p.o.s. rear tire lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.