Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

6th gear slip

7K views 19 replies 6 participants last post by  Hanceformer 
#1 ·
Hi all I finally have an issue on my k2 1000 39000 miles.
Every time I go to 6th it slips and grips again slowly getting worse.
It's not clutch as every other gear is fine.
Anyone had any experience with this on any bike?

Thanks.

#2 ·
6th gear would most likely be the first gear to show signs of clutch slip due to the high load/low rpm nature of it.

I would check the clutch fibers and steels and see what they look like.

#3 ·
Exactly. Pull the clutch and have a look.

#13 ·
You would have been better off if it was just slipping. The dogs are probably rounded and shift fork bent/worn. Wont know until you take it apart. To replace, requires engine removal and cases to be split. Luckily the gsxr 1000 engine is very easy to do this with due to the 3 layer cases. Just had mine apart a couple months ago to have the tranny undercut. Get a manual and send the tranny out to be undercut and they will measure everything for you and wont reuse any parts that are beyond spec. Also replace the shift fork that is used for 6th and inspect the shift drum for wear. If you fix everything and the shift drum is worn, it will just wear out the shift fork again, although if the dogs are undercut, I doubt they could get rounded again unless it was really bad. :cheers

#15 ·
They take the gear dogs and re-shape them so they lock together under load. What you do is before you split the cases, take the clutch basket and drive sprocket off. Then take the lower case off with the engine upside down and take the 2 sides of the tranny out. Wrap them up, box them and send them to APE. They will take care of the rest. They will send them back to you ready to bolt back in.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.