Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

Help needed

2K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  mazzla 
#1 ·
Hi guys and girls. I got myself in a bit of trouble this weekend - went to change the oil in my newly bought KTM EXC-F 250 ('06), took the sump plug out, drained the old oil, but cannot re-install the plug. I think the outer (the very last) ring of thread in the engine case (there's no sump casing) is damaged, so that ring of thread on the oil drain bolt is not catching. The thread on the bolt and the rest of the thread in the engine is fine. There's very little space between the oil drain hole and the frame on this bike - just about enough to get the bolt out, so there's no way any tool that would re-cut that first ring of thread would fit in there. Is there anything I can do to get that bolt in - I don't want to have the bike sitting there dry for any length of time - I don't have a garage?

#5 ·
Hmmm, that looks bad... I wonder if there's a reliable way to clear the damaged part of the threads out of the way, so that the plug can engage in the part that's intact. As most of it is intact, I suppose it could take the tightening torque without problems (perhaps somewhat reduced just to be on the safe side), but I don't have enough hands-on experience to suggest any definite method.

One idea, if it's physically possible, might be to pull the oil pan, and screw the plug, or a longer bolt of the same thread from the other side, hoping that it will restore the damaged threads enough to allow the plug to get past them, when it's screwed in the right way. I don't suggest trying it though, unless someone more experienced confirms it isn't nonsense.

#6 ·
Cheers fella. The problem with this particular bike is that there's no sump/oil pan - it's a part of the engine casing. Not only that, the drain hole is ~4cm from the frame (not easy to see in the pictures), so it will be impossible to get a drill bit to remove the start of the thread. I think I may have to get the bike to a workshop in the end and get the engine out... I really didn't expect such odd design from the Austrians (albeit there's a fair share of my fault in it too)

#10 ·
Buy a bolt of the same pitch/diameter. Put it in a vise. Take a dremel tool and cut two grooves lengthwise down the bolt. Bevel the end of the bolt. Run this through the drain hole with some cutting fluid or penetrating oil.

Reactions: grtfast
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.