Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

2 stroke dual sports

4K views 30 replies 9 participants last post by  FreelancerMG 
#1 ·
What do you guys think of them? Specifically There is an 09 Husqvarna WR300 for sale that is street legal. I haven't riden 2 strokes in a long time but this bike intrigued me. I plan to trail ride in the northeast with occasional street riding and trips in nyc. Just not sure how the bike would be on the street considering the gearing and oil mix factor. I was originally leaning towards a Yamaha WR250R which seems to be a little more street friendly. Thoughts?

#9 ·
I want one too. I wish Suzuki would make it a 450 or even a 500. By the time they boost the displacement and change the fueling I think it'll be out of my price range though for an extra bike. I'd still settle for the current version since they are shitloads of fun.

#10 ·
The other annoying thing you're going to have to take into consideration using that Husky on the street will be the maintenance intervals. Having maintenance intervals of just hours, I don't think I'd want to try and cross state lines with one. I also don't think that you'd be able to make it street legal and wouldn't even want to try to ride one through NYC. I love my WR as it's maintenance intervals are ridiculously long @ 26.6k miles for the top-end and it's power isn't too bad for a four stroke 250. If I want power, I have the GSXR 750 to do it for me. A much more updated DRZ though with fuel injection and a sixth gear would be a huge seller I think.

#13 ·
Most modern 2 strokes have oil injection. Sometimes people remove it and mix the gas themselves.

I'd find a place to stick some oil bottles. If you need to buy more you can find a dealer, small engine shop, Tractor Supply or Home Depot somewhere nearby.

How big is the tank? What is your range on fuel? That's the biggest concern for me. Group rides to NYC, are you going to make everyone have to stop every 75 miles so you can fill your 2 gallon tank again?

#15 ·
Yeah that's the major con for me. The 09 wr300 has a stock tank of 2.5 gallons. So with the fuel economy nothing special that is not a lot of riding before filling up.

And I don't do group rides usually. :p

#14 ·
Full-on enduro bikes (2T and 4T) are never much good on the road...apart from ruining your knobbies, they generally are really vibey on-road and will send your hands numb in short order plus the low gearing plus they are designed to be on the power and generally don't take well to prolonged cruise operation. Generally, most will have a note in the owners manual warning against prolonged road use.

Personally I had a Husky WR250 of around the same year and loved it. She was a lot of work trying to keep the back wheel under me with the throttle WFO, but boy was she fun, you gotta love that manic 2 stroke power!

#17 ·
When you get one,come up by me and lets do some off-roading ;)

#19 ·
Came across a 2013 wr250r, most stock, new sprockets and tires. Has 14,000 mostly street miles though. He is asking 3500 and seem to want to budge much on price. I'd have to travel 4 hrs one way to pick it up. What do you think?

I know valve clearance inspection is due but i was ideally looking for something with less miles even if it was older.

#20 ·
Valve inspection isn't due for another 11.5k miles. Road miles are actually much easier on the bike than off-road miles as the bike gets a lot of abuse off-roading it. If he's just commuted on it, the motor's doing just fine. The big things to look at are the standard, was the oil changed? Do you see signs of it being abused? Another big thing to check on these bikes is the pivot pin area on the swing arm. Has an odd design and the chain stay can wear on that pivoting area. I also think that $3500 isn't too bad of a price since at least in my area, they're very hard to find used. I had to go new because at the time, no one had one that wasn't wrecked for sale used. I sure as hell wasn't going to do a cross country trip for one either.

#22 ·
What?

'never seen a street legal 2-stroke?' You're kidding, right?
'You always have to mix your own oil?' again with the kidding, right?
Really?

Nearly ALL the street legal 2 strokes for the American market, had a separate oil induction, and you put the 2 stroke oil in a separate tank.

You may be experienced now,
but by those statement, you are really showing how long you've been around, and what you've owned/ridden before, etc.

When I was young, we where riding around on 100cc bikes (In TX at 15y/o you could have a license/street for a 100cc or less.) big time. Sure there were 4 strokes too.

You've never ridden a A Kaw Mk III? too bad.
Here's a wiki of them:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kawasaki_triple

Or, the Yamr series? The RD350? The RD400? The RZ350? ( I shosed pics of one I saw last week in my 'bike night' thread!
Ya ever heard of Kenny Roberts?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yamaha_RZ350

Ah, to be young again! Although I still feel pretty damn good, and in decent shape at my ripe 'ol age of 56!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.