Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

I am stumped. 01 750 only runs on starting fluid.

7K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  maniac1886 
#1 ·
2001 GSX-R 750, 24,000 miles, most likely was a parts bin bike before i got it.

So it has spark and compression. Dealer mode shows `c00. Fuel pump is priming and pumping. It fires right up on starting fluid. New plugs, Its not the roll over sensor, and no fi light. So its gotta be some obnoxious reason the injectors aren't spraying.

I am stumped, every form I've read ends with something I checked already. So I was wondering if a few people could just throw a list of all the things they would check? Or any ideas I may have overlooked?

If I can't fix it I'm gonna sell it and take the loss, I just don't want to sell it and have someone fix it in my driveway and ride it home haha thanks everyone.

#2 ·
I'd suggest approaching this methodically, by checking:

• whether the pump is flowing an adequate volume of fuel,
  • whether the pump develops adequate pressure (which is likely not to be the case, if the internal seals have all dried out from sitting around),
  • whether any of that fuel is making it past the injectors by (can be done by visual inspection I believe, by disconnecting the STVA, gently pulling the secondaries open if there are any, then pulling the primaries open via the throttle grip and cranking while shining a light down the intake tracts),
  • whether power is making it to the injectors, by checking whether there's battery voltage on all the common-colored (probably Y/R) leads going to each injector (I think that the ECU would throw a code if the injectors weren't powered, but checking is easy),
  • whether the individual grounds linking each injector with the ECU are intact (although again, the ECU would probably throw a code)

#3 ·
Well, I guess obviously it has gas in the tank.
You said the pump cycles with key on- right?
I'd try and do the easier things first- (plugs are not easy btw), and do a fuel flow test.
Do you have the manual for it- it's in there.

The pump will cycle with key on when the filters are clogged too.

Try the pump flow test and get back

Good luck

#4 ·
Since it fires up on starting fluid it's likely the fuel pump but you should still run all applicable test just to be sure. Doubt it's the injectors since the thing starts. I'm assuming your blasting the airbox with the fluid which would be before the injectors. My money is on the fuel pump all day. Good luck. :thumbup

#7 ·
Since it fires up on starting fluid it's likely the fuel pump but you should still run all applicable test just to be sure. Doubt it's the injectors since the thing starts. I'm assuming your blasting the airbox with the fluid which would be before the injectors.
Isn't starting fluid just sprayed into the intake? It's not fed through the injectors, is it? I mentioned the injectors, because they might be clogged and not flowing fuel, not because they might be somehow obstructing the induction of fresh charge.

#5 ·
if you put enough starting fluid in it with no gas it should run tell it burns the starting fluid out. Lift your tank but make sure you have at lest a half tank and pull the fuel line off the fuel rail and see if the pump pumps fuel. If it dos you can pull your fuel rail off with injectors still hooked up and see if they spray and they are spraying good. If it's not flowing fuel then it's your pump or filter. I have a 01 gsxr 750 and I cut the filter out and plastic welded the case back together. I have pics but don't know how to post them on here

#6 ·
I just want to make it clear I'm new to the forum and I am mechanically inclined but I'm not a pro at working on bikes. But I did just get my bike and I had a fuel problem and that is what fixed it. I back flushed it first and all kinds of stuff came out. But it still ran bad. Then I took the filter out and it runs way better. Not perfect but way better. And I put a inline fuel filter on the line that gos from the tank to the fuel rail.

#10 ·
Thankyou everyone for the posts so far! The weather has hindered my ability to work on the bike in the last day or so. But after reading what has been said, I'm going to try and get my hands on a pressure tester. If I can't, does anyone have the breakdown for the "pump flow test? If not I'm sure I can find a video.

I also want to check the voltage on the injectors. Besides power to the injector what else should be checked on the electrical side? ( specific voltage, is there a pulse or signal wire I can check, could the tps cause it?) If I'm breaking out the ohms meter I wanna check everything haha
Thanks again!!!

#12 ·
Thankyou everyone for the posts so far! The weather has hindered my ability to work on the bike in the last day or so. But after reading what has been said, I'm going to try and get my hands on a pressure tester. If I can't, does anyone have the breakdown for the "pump flow test? If not I'm sure I can find a video.

I also want to check the voltage on the injectors. Besides power to the injector what else should be checked on the electrical side? ( specific voltage, is there a pulse or signal wire I can check, could the tps cause it?) If I'm breaking out the ohms meter I wanna check everything
I'd suggest starting by locating a service manual and studying the related chapters (fuel injection and fuel system mostly).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.