Please help! - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Motorcycle: 2003 GSXR 750
Garage
Please help!

On my k3 750 I've been having a bit of electrical problems. The bike will start 75% of the time, but occasionally when I turn the key none of the dash lights come on and the fuel pump's infamous buzz does not occur. However if I move the bike around and bounce it some, it will kick on. I believe it is a ground issue, however I cannot figure out where the issue would be or if it even is a ground issue. Twice in the past month the bike has died while I've been out on it and when I pull over it starts right up. Any info on my problem would be greatly appreciated.

Yes I have checked the battery, stator, and rectifier and all are in good working order. I've also cleaned all of the connections.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 05:31 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Garage
Re: Please help!

Also when the bike has started and I've been out on it I've been hearing an electric buzz come from the bike. Almost like the fuel pump, but quieter. Is this normal and I'm just now noticing it? Or could it be an issue?
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 05:36 PM
Drunk Again

Motorcycle: L5 600, '15 Victory Vegas 8-Ball

Sorry to hear about your problem. I agree about it being a grounding issue and I personally wouldn't know where to start, but someone else might. You mentioned that you cleaned some electrical connections, but did you make sure they were all securely connected?

I had a similar issue where my bike would randomly NOT turn over. I could fiddle with it like you mentioned and it would magically start. Turned out to be a bad connection on my starter ground wire for me, but I'd be looking around for a loose connection somewhere.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 07:28 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatersalad314 View Post
Sorry to hear about your problem. I agree about it being a grounding issue and I personally wouldn't know where to start, but someone else might. You mentioned that you cleaned some electrical connections, but did you make sure they were all securely connected?

I had a similar issue where my bike would randomly NOT turn over. I could fiddle with it like you mentioned and it would magically start. Turned out to be a bad connection on my starter ground wire for me, but I'd be looking around for a loose connection somewhere.
Yes all connections I've cleaned have been securely reconnected. Have you ever heard anything about a bike having problems with the ignition? My key, once in the ignition, doesn't really like to turn and will NOT turn to "LOCK". I used to have a problem like this on my old Grand Am and it wouldn't start sometimes due to the security system. The starter would be a good place to look though, thanks!
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 09:59 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Garage

Was messing with the stator connection, and now the fuel pump doesn't engage when I turn the key. I've checked the stator connection now multiple times and its secure and clean, what could be causing this?
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 12:11 PM
Track Day Winner

Motorcycle: GSX-R 750, Versys 650

The stator has nothing to do with the fuel pump priming; the fuel pump will prime when you turn the ignition on but the engine is still off, that means it is drawing power from the battery. IOW; even if the stator is unplugged the pump will prime.

When you turn the key does the dash turn on? Make sure it's in neutral; if it's in gear with the kickstand down the pump won't prime.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 12:48 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Süsser Tod View Post
The stator has nothing to do with the fuel pump priming; the fuel pump will prime when you turn the ignition on but the engine is still off, that means it is drawing power from the battery. IOW; even if the stator is unplugged the pump will prime.

When you turn the key does the dash turn on? Make sure it's in neutral; if it's in gear with the kickstand down the pump won't prime.
Yes the bikes in neutral. I hadn't had a problem with the fuel pump until I messed with the stator connection which is what led me to linking the two. The bike powers up 75% of the time, and the rest of the time there is absolutely no power (no dash, headlights or anything). I'm stumped on what it could be. I've checked the battery and all hookups and connections and everything seems to be good, just sometimes there wont be power and when there is power the fuel pump isn't priming. Before when I was riding it I heard a buzz coming from the bike, almost like the fuel pump priming, but it was quieter. Is this normal and I'm just noticing it, or could that be a sign of a problem?
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 02:33 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Garage

Starting to think it could be a bad ignition switch but I'm not 100% sure. I'm going to replace this and see what happens
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 04:56 PM
Rectum Rupticus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryce101896 View Post
Starting to think it could be a bad ignition switch but I'm not 100% sure. I'm going to replace this and see what happens
Stop guessing It will cost you a fortune using the shotgun approach. Do you have a manual? Get one if not . I agree you may have a bad ground . First check that the safety switches at the clutch lever and the kickstand are working correctly. Next did you check the ground cable where it attaches to the frame or engine block ? I'm not sure where it attaches to be honest . Another thing to check is the Kill switch . I don't know if it can be taken apart to the point that you can clean the contacts inside it but it would be good to check it .

"Well hopefully its something as simple as reversing the shift linkage, we'll probably never know. He's probably out side slapping puppies and kittens bout now. "
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

R.I.P. Dad Love you and miss you. 6/1/1939 - 3/30/2016
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-23-2017, 11:46 AM
Provisional Novice

Motorcycle: 2003 GSX-R600 (K3?) Alstare

remove the Rectifier, Key bike on. is the Neutral light active? what is your battery voltage? 12V? remember that number.

With Everything Plugged in and key on... add a battery charger if you need to maintain battery while testing, Voltage drop must be done with circuit loaded.

First lets verify its not a primary ground issue. Negative Voltmeter lead to the battery negative terminal. this is the direct battery terminal, must be on the lead lead of the battery. Positive lead on the top cable contact that you would connect to the battery. This should be 0V, anything over 0.5 ish volts is going to be a concern. Anything more the contact is the problem, if not then primary ground is not a concern

Next take the fairing off and find your ignition switch connection. get a sewing T Pin, or piercing probe. Again key on, Voltmeter to battery ground, if primary ground was deemed good then a connection there is okay, dont have to connect direct to battery, the wire is okay.

back pin or pierce check on the bike of the ignition switch connector. You should see the same voltage number on all wires, except 1 I bleive with out looking. but write down voltage and what wire it was on. check the same voltages on the other side of the connector, are they all the same, is 12V present on all wires other than the B/W (typically) this should be 0V. If yes this is has tested your ignition switch is functioning normally and the connection in the connector is good.... now you have to dig elsewhere... IE computer powers and grounds.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode