Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

2003 GSXR 600 Overheating Have done everything I can think of

4K views 52 replies 12 participants last post by  oldgixxer 
#1 ·
So about a month ago I was riding my bike and my chain snapped off cracked water pump bent sprockets. I replaced all of the broken pieces have made sure they were in good working order. But since then my bike overheats to the point it's unrideable. I've flushed the coolant, made sure there was no air in radiator, and even bypassed the fan with a switch. What happens is I start the bike up and at idle it will go up to 216 then drop 2 degrees and then it starts overheating to 230 and will go to 280 if I leave it on. I'm not sure what I need to check or do at this point. There are no leaks or anything else. Could it be a blown fuse or thermostat? I just don't understand why it's doing this now when it wasn't before.

#4 ·
I replaced the pump. Flushed oil and everything when repairing oil was clean no flakes flushed coolant no flakes no gunk in water pump. I just don't get how me replacing the chain sprockets and water pump would make the bike start overheating when the only thing hat could have anything to do with that is the pump I replaced but that part is fine. I've quadruple checked all of that.

#9 ·
I just don't understand why it would start doing this now when i've never had an issue until I replaced those parts.. The block is ok engine sounds normal no leaks anywhere.. I just don't wanna go out and buy a new motor when it could be something simple that maybe I'm just overlooking. Might have to suck it up and take it to a shop to be evaluated I suppose.

#13 ·
Highest temp its reached is 245, I was just saying it would go to 280 if I left it on because of how fast the temp was rising. I've researched for about 2 weeks now on why it could be overheating. Made sure water pump was circulating, made sure it was lined up correctly, bought pump new as well as brand new sprockets and chain. The bike when it idles will get up to 216 drop 2 degrees then proceed to overheat until I turn it off. I've flushed the coolant multiple times changed oil to make sure it didn't look bad i've taken the water pump off and placed back on multiple times to make sure it was correct and no gunk. The fan hasn't worked on its own since i've owned the bike I just made a manual switch that I would turn on around 180f but it's never had a cooling issue until my chain broke and I replaced these parts. Could I need to take the radiator completely off the bike and run water directly through there with no hoses attached to ensure no blockage? I've notice that on the left side of the radiator it stays cool but the right side gets hot. The reserve tank never overflows or dumps into the bike when overheating. I'm really completely out of ideas i've probably spent 100+ hours on this site trying to find a solution since it seemed to randomly happen after my chain situation.

#15 ·
Well when it's sitting idle once it gets around the 180-190 range I'll turn the fan on then it will go to the 216 temp go down a couple degrees then start rising until I turn off.. BUT i've also let the bike idle without turning the fan on and it still does the same thing goes to 215-216 drops couple degrees then starts overheating

#19 ·
If your fan can't get the temperature down, or even slow the rate at which it goes up, your coolant is probably not circulating, as tatersalad says. Have you checked that the thermostat actually opens? The manual prescribes a simple procedure to test it. Also, does the expansion tank not vary its level at all, as your engine heats up, even though the radiator is full to the brim and free of air?

#21 ·
I doubt the radiator is the issue. It is either the thermostat, water pump, or like I said, you have a blown head gasket or warped head due to it getting so hot.

Before you start throwing money at it, do a compression and leakdown test, and post up the results.

#22 ·
This sounds like its the stat,especially since you say one side of the rad is hot while the other side is cool. This means coolant isnt circulating. Take the stat completely out and then start the bike. This should solve the issue. If it does,then order a new stat. There is nothing wrong with your radiator. Rad's just don't go bad.

Also,from here on out: never,ever let your bike reach 245f!!! WTF,why would you even allow that to occur? You're gonna pop your headgasket:hammer

#24 ·
Fair enough.
Pull the thermostat out,fill the system and run the bike. Im confident your problem will be solved if the water pump you replaced is working properly.

Reactions: Johnny English
#26 ·
Thermostat should be here Thursday I'm hoping thats the issue in going to pull the radiator off as well and directly flush the radiator to ensure no build up if it doesn't work then it looks like I'll be upgrading to a 1000 motor to put back into this bike. I'll let you guys know more on Friday.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.