Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

01-03 Pistons to 04-05 600 Interchangeable?

2K views 10 replies 3 participants last post by  chevybutcher 
#1 ·
Since these generations have the same bore x stroke, I was wondering if the pistons themselves were interchangeable?

Not sure of what differences there are, the newer ones seem to be lighter, same with the rods.

But I was wondering if a set of 01-03 Wiseco pistons would be a simple drop-in for the 04/05 600 using the 04/05 rods?

Or are the wrist pins and off-sets different? Even though they have the same stroke, I suppose the rod lengths could be different depending on the crank and wrist pins?

Anyone know?

#2 ·
Start matching part numbers. And I hate to say it, starting to use different rods and Pistons will add some playing around! Unless your part numbers match up. Suzuki is decent about using parts in the next gen that will work, and bolt up! A lot of the parts are interchangeable! Yet, this question, you would have to Mic the crank, rods, pistons and rings.. If your off just by .5 your going to have a bad day.

#3 ·
Ron ayers . Com

#4 ·
Part numbers are different, of course. There was some enhancements to the newer ones.

But that being said, Wiseco would be an improvement over stock either way, so I was trying to find out if the 03 Wiseco pistons would drop into a 04 motor.

I just do not have any 01-03 pistons to check with..

#5 ·
Trav, hate to say it, but check with Wisco... Just for fact bore and stroke are same, does not mean connecting rods and bearings are. Yes, improvements are great.. And sometimes it works.. But, to be 100%, I would not take anyone's word, but call them directly, and ask. They will be the ones to say yes or no, and if no, why! And what to do to overcome.

Guessing, if the cranks the same.. Bore and stroke.. You'll prob have to just match the rods and bearings. Wish I had one taken apart to measure.

#6 ·
Pretty sure as with the 750's , the 600's will have the same issue with pistons having to match the combustion chamber . I do know that the 00-03 gsxr 750's have a different combustion chamber than the 04-05 gsxr 750's . The 04-05 ti valve head has the valves portuding slightly into the cylinder bore so the pistons are even different . I built my 00-03 bottom end with 04-05 pistons and the 04-05 head which also required me to use a manual cam chain tensioner because the oil feed from the early cylinders doesn't mate up with the newer head . I know some will wonder why I did this and it was because I got tired of dropping valves when using the older 00-03 heads .

Now I'm using 05-06 gsxr 1k throttle bodies and 06 1k intake cam with the 05 750 intake on the exhaust side . Basically using all stock Suzuki parts with a Yosh full ti system PC 3 and full tune for 137hp a pump gas . Think if I had it to do all over again I'd just start with a complete 04-05 engine but I had a bunch of parts in boxes and it was something to do for the Winter .

Good luck with your build !

#7 ·
Wait.. Chevybutcher.. Your using a 00-03 bottom, with 04-05 pistons, and 04-05 head. 06 1000 TB, and your cams are for 06 1k for intake, and 05 750 for exhaust.
1. how does the 05-06 TB's work with the set up? connector difference? What year is your frame, and ECU? and why use a 00-03 block? whats the advantage? Sorry, this just got cool! And did you degree your cams? or just install?

#8 ·
The 05-06 1k tb main injectors have the same plug as the 00-03 750 injectors so it was p&p and a member on here made the plug in diode set up for the secondary throttle bodies so the CEL wouldn't come on as I removed the butterfly valves . Kinda a pain starting when it's cold outside . The 1k tb's are 2mm bigger . So yes ,also running the 00-01 750 wiring and black box and the frame is a 01 750 frame . Just had to cut and space the bottom rh / lh frame engine mounts a bit then brace and plate them . Cams were degreed conservative at 103in/107ex . Was really no advantage building a 00-03 over a 04-05 block it was that fact that I had shit ton of extra parts and wanted to see how if it would work . I spent years building 1st and 2nd gen gsxr's so I wanted to do something new and different . It's nice to know that the gsxr's are still decent parts bin bikes .

#9 ·
Should also note too that the rh / lh bottom frame / engine mounts had to be cut and spaced down about 1/4" and then re welded and then braced and plated . the lh hole through the frame rail for the cylinder head bolt was the same so no modes needed there . Some would say I could have just put a 1k engine in it but if I wanted a gsxr 1k then I just go buy one . I made do with the bike and parts I had and being a gear head I never leave anything stock .

#10 ·
Not to bad at all. I have a few more questions. So, you did await with the secondary throttle plates? I thought these were to prevent a vacuum issue? Did you dyne tune?

#11 ·
Yes the secondary throttle plates have been removed but they just control for choke start up and control for low throttle openings ie.... intake charge to make better bottom end power and smooth throttle response . Bike was extensively tuned on a dyno and the PC3 has been tuned to give a bit more fuel at lower throttle settings to deal with more air coming in . It still doesn't have the snappiness off the throttle to 2k rpms like the stocker would but from 4k up it jumps all over the stock set up which is great for a track bike but for back road riding you can't be lazy and lug in out of corners at 3k :lol . It's much akin to big 39-41mm flatside carbs on a older gsxr engine where you just can't wack the throttle full on at 3k and expect it to pull real hard and clean .... not on a 750 anyway .

Here's the deal with the the valve issue on the 00-03 gsxr 600, 750 and 1000's .The have a small 3mm diameter valve stem and the the stem is machined or cast with the groove for the valve spring keeper retainers . Over time because of spring pressure and the high rpms that stress on the small stem will cause a failure at the groove area and it will pop off and drop a valve . The 600's don't have such a large valve but they still fail but not as much as the 750's and the 1000's not as much because they don't run the same spring pressures or the 14+k rpms that the 750's do . The 04-05 heads have Titanium valves with a larger 5 or 6mm stem and they don't have the issues of dropping valves . This the reason I wanted the engine built with those parts as it was going to be a track bike that was going to get the shit reved out of it .

To the OP , I personally wouldn't do all the work of installing 04-05 pistons and head on a 01-03 bottom end when I could just find a 04-05 engine and build it to the specs I wanted and also update to a better ECU and throttle bodies . Now if you had a bunch of parts you got for basically nothing and you worked with a well known engine builder who would help with assembly and also had a machinist that would do ya a deal on machining then ....:dunno ? Not really practical but sometimes it's fun to see what can be done .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.