Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

K3 600 barely legal Project.

11K views 92 replies 16 participants last post by  The13thangel 
#1 ·
Good day Gixxer Riders.

I'll be honest, situation in my garage is one I would get killed by either of the brand riders - I have a Kawasaki ZX10R, a Honda CBR 954 and GSXR 600 K3, looks like no brand loyalty here but - hey, I just choose what I can get my hands on at the time - Any bike is a good bike.

So here I am, about to do my first somewhat serious Project. Bought a K3 600 after a crash, forks are bent, frame looks good so far (you never know, ofc), fairings mostly gone. Thus I decided to do a trackday bike that's barely street legal. (here in Malta we don't have bike MOT's ((do not laugh)) thus I kind of have all roads open for modifications.

Goal (somewhat) :

(I know I know, please no hate for Honda pic in the thread, but this build just serves me for a landmark.)

What I am planning to do?

Forks - First thing's first, the old ones are bent and not that good either, so I will do a front end swap and here I will have a few questions. I've read some info of interchangeable parts and will figure out exactly how I want it shortly.

Rear swing arm - that's going to be changed for a 750 one because it has the upper bracing, silly reason but with the tail I have in my mind - it's a must.

Front fairing - The original fairings are gone, so I will use actual racing fairings, but only front +sides, not the tail.

Tail - this one is the biggest part of the build. I plan to attach a Honda RS 125 racing tail to the bike. Meaning the rear subframe is going to be rebuilt completely or possibly created from scratch as it doesn't have to be bing and super strong as there will be no space for pasangers on the bike.

Exhaust - that I will look into later on, but it will most probably mean some cutting and welding as well as the placement of it might be different from what it is oringinal.

And yes, some smaller bits and peaces, like power commander, indicators, headlights (this will be an interesting one), grips, chain and sprockets, and some overall clean.

I wonder how the pictures I've added will be visible as it's really my first post, but either way, the Yellow Gixxer is the one and no, i'm not the lady on the bike. And the crazy cool looking Blade is my landmark for the general idea of build.

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
Hehe well not many people reading but i've been slow with it. Will just keep this for my own records at least.

Got my new clip ons from germany GP Light , just test fitted.

Also got the upper yoke from k7 750.

And also the stem nut, some german stuff - Extreme racing.

Next plans: Yamaha R1/R6 brake calipers, braided brake lines, fork seals and for referbish.

See you next time. :)

Attachments

#6 ·
In Case someone's reading, i have a question:

The 750 k7 fork tubes are longer and in order for everything to fit properly i needed to increase ride height for about 2 cm in front, what do you think it will change and can it be "minused" / neutrulised if i'd lift rear by a little?

#8 ·
Thanx for the answer, I will check that tomorrow, probably interesting read.

The reason fro that is that the fork tubes are not the same width everywhere. If I put the tubes up same as original height, due to tubes being linger then the originals - clip ons are partially on the tick part of tube and partially on thiner. It's like 50mm and 42mm or similar. I'll see if there's anyway i can bypass that.

#9 ·
Long time no news on this one huh.

So found this cool dude right here in gixxer forum who's parting out his race bike k7 750, bought his brake calipers, swingarm, front hugger, rear brakes, radiator and some other bits, waiting to receive them soon.

The swingarm wont fit for sure so will need some metal spinner help, same thing for the clip ons, to lower the whole thing - i'll need to make some washer/spacers for them to fit half of them on the thinner part of fork tube. (the k7 750 forks are longer/higher).

The plan is to get the bike completely mechanically sound firs and then deal with visual. Changed oil to new W10-40 Motul i think and filter and NKG irridum sparks, starts and idles nicely. Radiotor left, then some frame welding on the left footrest mount, and adding the new parts and i'm close to done. Ah, right, still want a k7 rear shock.

Attachments

#10 ·
Hey!

Small update since last time:

-Cleaned up engine with the plastic brush, looks much nicer, can see it in the pic with the shiny exhaust pipe.
-I have fork seals, now creating forks compression tool so I can change them.
-Welded in thermostat from the old rad in to a K7 750 rad, the mounts are about 1 cm wider, but i'll just space them, a pretty easy fit, will need to make a bracket for the bottom mount.
-Cleaned up and prepaired for painting front and rear brake calipers, will go in gold.
-Got industrial paint remover and am in process of removing paint from rear swinger. As frame will remain alu color, so will look much nicer if everything's similar/same.
-Got GSXR k6 600 rear shock.
-almost done cleaning up exhaust pipes, but had to put them back for now so I could jack the bike up to remove the forks.

Plans for soonest progress:
*finish fork seal replacement, fork oil. And paint the buttom part of the forks (where axle goes trough) matt aluminum color.
*brake calipers painted in gold.
*remove rear swingarm to see what parts I need to make to make it all fit.
*finish removing all paint from swinger and polish it and then buff it so it has nice look to it. Same for exhaust.

Below some pictures on what's going on.

Attachments

#25 · (Edited)
VHT has a "Flat Aluminum" exhaust paint. Use that or something similar and it will protect the steel and still give you that bare metal look you want, but it will make the finish nice and even and help hide any blems.

As for protecting the plastics, use some exhaust heat wrap in the are causing the problem.

#27 ·
On another note here's yet another small update. I know it's going pretty slow but i do what i can, do what i can.

Got some new tools to make it all go faster and easier.

1) Sprayed front and rear calipers. Cleaned , sprayed, clearcoated, should be pretty resistent to chipping.
2) Sanded/polished the swingarm. Ended up sanding down the rough pattern some part of it has as well, so it looks nicer. Not yet a finished work, need to smoothen it out.
3) While sanding came up to the This (in pictures) small fuc*er. So the swingarm will be off to weld it.
4) Got a new rear brake rotor, not a brilliant one at all, but it's the rear, not that responsible for bike's stopping power.
5) Well also made new shelves in garage, not that it goes towards the project but sure helps a lot when things are a bit more at hand. Considering i recently started with an empty grarage and not much experiance with any of this.

Thanks for reading peeps. I'll try to make a video update soon.

Attachments

#39 ·
This one's not a very useful update again. Reaaaaaaaely hope to get more work done next week when i'll have mornings till midday available so I can go to some places as there are things I can't do in my garage. Need to weld the damn swingarm and gear shifter side rearset mounting bracket for one bolt needs welding.

Done righ:
*So, Christmas came early this year, got new Rossmoto (Italian, since it's close why not) rearsets, superb quality.

*Removed tank so I can take it to a friend and we can take out the dent. Yes.. a guy did that with his balls. (see pic)

*Ordered the crazy sharky tail just like in the picture in first page from Honda RS125 race bike.

Done wrong:
Wanted to service the forks, created a DIY tool for forks compression. Slipped out of the place while rachetting (compressing the spring) and fuck*d the plastic spirng spacer - ordered that new. Tool - needs some work. :D

Attachments

#40 ·
Hey!

Another small, not very efficient update. Did some first fiberglass work in my life! Pain in the butt really. This is 1 layer of fiber cloth on top of the original rear hugger. Will afterwards have 2 layers inside of fiberglass and a layer of carbon cloth on top -cheapo Carbon part.

Other then that - taking all parts off the bike as I decided to drop the engine out, so I can conveniently measure the size of the bushing i'll need to machine to fit the K7 swingarm. + will polish the frame same time to give it the nice finish of brushed alu, same as the rear swinger.

Other then that, also took the rear subframe off - Trying to figure out what and how i'm going to make there. Will probably make a box of cardboard and weld it from Aluminium plates. With the cardboard box I stand the best chance of pre fitting the tail for the best fit.

Also ran into the problem of the fuel tank being so far back that when adding the tail - it reaches too far over the rear wheel and doesn't give the look i want. Guess there will be some cutting of the tail and figuring out. Simply cutting it shorter wont work, as there wont be enough seat space.

But yes, finally getting some progress in! Soon, I promise, soon there will be some actual stuff to show!

Attachments

#41 ·
Hey,

I guess it's time for another quick update.

What i've done.
-the carbon mudguard failed slightly, good try but i managed to sand trough the carbon cloth, gna have to do it again.
-took the tank to fix the dent, getting it back today.
-made sockets for engine and swingarm removal.
-got some more goodies - new fuel pump, front cowl and belly from 2011 GSXR, 2011 front bracket, air filter, TRE ignition retard module, Ohlins steering damper, a black screen, screen bolts and some other bits.
-extended ignition switch wiring to fit the new top yoke from k7.
-Prepared the front mudguard for a carbon attempt.
-Did some testfitting and cutting of the tail.
-Started making the plan for rear subframe.

So for now i have procrastinated forever the measuring and machining the bushings for the swingarm, that's next in plan. I will do all that by dropping the engine out. Want to clean up the frame a bit and do some other work.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.