A couple weeks ago I was at the track when my 01 600 started having issues shifting. First issue was hitting a false neutral between 4th and 3rd. Did it again between 3rd and 2nd the next day, then started acting really weird. I could only shift between 3rd and 5th. During the next session it turned into only getting 3rd and 4th, then finally just stuck in 4th. I figured it was a bent shift fork or something, but was pretty clueless. So I decided to take a look. If anyone has any questions I'll try to answer them.
Here's a thread about it copied from another forum...
This was my bike a week and a half ago:
This was my bike as of yesterday:
The second day of my Jennings trip I couldn't shift out of 4th gear...pissed me off but at least it gave me one less thing to think about as i headed into a few of the turns...
Since I'm not made of money and want to preserve as much as possible for trackdays and essentials, I decided I'd fix it. Well, it was interesting getting things apart (I've never had anything torn down this far before) but I documented everything to help with reassembly, so I should be ok. I also found another problem when pulling it apart - the drive sprocket was loose, as was the speedometer rotor...i guess the guy who did the 520 conversion forgot to tighten things...
Anyway, I figured the problem was something with the shift shaft or maybe a bent shift fork, but it turned out to be something even simpler: a loose bolt The bolt holding in the shift plate (the star shaped plate with pegs that the gear shifter fork moves to turn the shift cam - damn that's confusing) was loose, letting the shift plate move enough that the full range of motion on the shifter wasn't enough to push the shift cam over to the next gear...I tightened it up and it worked just fine
What it looked like:
What it should look like:
Now I just have to wait on gaskets and a replacement speedometer rotor and put things back together...I'll be back on the track in no time