Picked up a new Ruger - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 01:13 PM Thread Starter
Not really old,just Vintage

Motorcycle: Dromaius Novaehollandiae
Thumbs up Picked up a new Ruger

I love this thing, Ruger 22/45, now I just have to wait for the silencer & mount my red dot sight.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 003.jpg (131.1 KB, 12 views)

Last edited by oldfart01; 04-22-2017 at 01:15 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 01:19 PM
Currently using pedals..

Motorcycle: L5 600, '15 Victory Vegas 8-Ball
Nice rig!
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 01:23 PM
Track Day Winner

Re: Picked up a new Ruger

That is one beautiful gun. I was playing around with these a few weeks ago.
Smith & Wesson MP, Ruger CG100, Ruger AR15

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 01:25 PM
Track Day Winner

AR from 80 feet, no scopes.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 02:36 PM
Stupid. Who's with me?

Motorcycle: Anniversary Edition 600 & Million Edition 1000
Garage

Nice. The IV is so much easier to take down too. I was checking the IV Hunter at Gander and popped it apart and the sales guy was in awe.... I actually told him way more about it than he knew.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 08:11 PM
Sirijus Indelxsjul Diskushuns Onley

That's a damn nice looking pistol. I have an old Browning Buckmark that's the tits. Love shooting that gun. Why a silincer? You taking out squirrels in the burbs?
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 08:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGeek View Post
Nice. The IV is so much easier to take down too. I was checking the IV Hunter at Gander and popped it apart and the sales guy was in awe.... I actually told him way more about it than he knew.
It's amazing how it just pops apart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Bojangles View Post
That's a damn nice looking pistol. I have an old Browning Buckmark that's the tits. Love shooting that gun. Why a silincer? You taking out squirrels in the burbs?
Thanks. I've had a Ruger Mark 2 Target .22 forever & always liked it, especially to teach people with.Silencer is just for fun.

I got the Vortex Viper mounted on it & put about 100 rounds through it this afternoon. Shoots really well, about 1 1/2" at 25 yards so far. I know I can get it better yet. I was real happy with that for a small pistol.

The bad news is I'm sending it back to Ruger on Monday, something is VERY fucked with the safety on it. I've been shooting around 50 years now, never had an unintentional discharge. I HAD TWO TODAY!!! The safety doesn't have a clear click like it normally does, it feels a little mushy with no clear stop on either end. I didn't think too much of it at first.

After shooting for a while, I put the gun up on target, dropped the safety, pulled the trigger & it made more of a "thunk" than a click & didn't fire. I pulled the gun in to look at it & saw the safety was only about 3/4 of the way off. When I moved it fully off IT FUCKING FIRED!!! Never touched anything other than the safety & the grip. Thankfully it was pointed into the berm at the range like it's supposed to be & it's only a .22. I figured it must be some crazy fluke. 20 minutes later the same thing happened again, at least this time I half expected it & was waiting for it to fire when I moved the safety so it didn't scare the shit out of me like the first time. I unloaded it & found you can duplicate it by moving the safety to part off, pull the trigger, it thunks, take safety fully off, it fires! Not good.

Love the gun, but that's really fucked up. I've never heard or seen anything like this before.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 006.jpg (65.3 KB, 4 views)

President & founding Member of IACOGDC, Insensitive Asshole Club Of GDC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Proudly Banned 1,000,001 times!! GDC world record holder for bannings! Oldfart is mildly retarded, be kind
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
_
Rest in peace Mom, you were the best, 3/16/30 - 10/16/15
RIP Brother Bill, 5/28/54-11/25/15

Last edited by oldfart01; 04-22-2017 at 09:29 PM.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-23-2017, 01:35 AM
Squid

Motorcycle: 2005 GSX-R 600
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BmineR View Post
AR from 80 feet, no scopes.
Not to sound like an asshole but is it sighted in properly, are you new to firing and are you using the same technique with every shot taken? I only say this because from 80 feet you should have a lot tighter of a grouping even with iron sights.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-23-2017, 07:10 AM
Track Day Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeroTheHero View Post
Not to sound like an asshole but is it sighted in properly, are you new to firing and are you using the same technique with every shot taken? I only say this because from 80 feet you should have a lot tighter of a grouping even with iron sights.

All of the above. Brand new out of the box. First day. May not have been 80 feet, may have been yards. First time at this range too so it was tough to judge the poorly painted lines and how they numbered didn't make sense. The first line was 5, then jumped to 21 and there was no way it jumped from 16 yards in that little space.
Not sure how to sight it since it's just the rear sight that moves left or right. More practice perhaps.
I'm a tall guy, 6'2" and i was really uncomfortable with it. Almost like the stock needs to be 4 inches longer and I'll be good. I feel like I'm all balled up around it and laying my head on the stock like a pillow. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-23-2017, 09:22 AM
Squid

Motorcycle: 2005 GSX-R 600
Garage
Picked up a new Ruger

Quote:
All of the above. Brand new out of the box. First day. May not have been 80 feet, may have been yards. First time at this range too so it was tough to judge the poorly painted lines and how they numbered didn't make sense. The first line was 5, then jumped to 21 and there was no way it jumped from 16 yards in that little space.
Not sure how to sight it since it's just the rear sight that moves left or right. More practice perhaps.
I'm a tall guy, 6'2" and i was really uncomfortable with it. Almost like the stock needs to be 4 inches longer and I'll be good. I feel like I'm all balled up around it and laying my head on the stock like a pillow. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

The front sight post should be able to move up and down as well. Use the tip of a 5.56 round to push the pin down and it'll move up and down by turning it left or right. They take some getting adjusting to get use to. Just remember once you get the technique down to do the same thing every single time. That should make your groupings much smaller. There is quite a few informative videos on YouTube. I'm in the military and an expert marksman, the more you shoot, the better you get.

I personally use the chin to cheek method, there should be a few videos on that somewhere online. Also remember your breathing and trigger finger position. You never want to prepare for the recoil either, so don't tense up prior to the shot going off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BmineR likes this.

Ambition is the first step to success

Last edited by NeroTheHero; 04-23-2017 at 09:24 AM.
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-23-2017, 09:33 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
There's tons of small things that all add up. Try to find a good local gun club to get some shooting tips/classes. Like Nero said, there's days of good info on youtube. To give you an idea, I shot the target below at 75 feet & I'm definitely still not used to the pistol. Those are 1" squares on the target. The pistol is still better than I am & I'm not quite done sighting it in yet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 187.jpg (29.1 KB, 4 views)
BmineR and NeroTheHero like this.

Last edited by oldfart01; 04-23-2017 at 09:37 AM.
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-23-2017, 10:06 AM
Track Day Winner

Thanks for tips guys. Didn't mean to hijack the thread. I still love the look of that pistol you have.
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-23-2017, 09:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Thanks for tips guys. Didn't mean to hijack the thread. I still love the look of that pistol you have.
No big deal, thanks for the complements on my new gun. We have quite a few strong shooters in here, mostly on during the week. Getting good at shooting is a long process, just like learning how to ride at a high level. You had mentioned the AR feels short to you, I have the same problem, I'm 6'3". Many rifles don't fit me well without some work. On an AR platform there are all kinds of aftermarket stocks you can put on that help. I have a Luth-AR target stock on mine. It's VERY comfortable. You can also add something like this Magpul extended recoil pad on the rear of your stock to give you extra length. https://gnarlygorilla.com/magpul-prs...pSMaArLx8P8HAQ

M-15 Instant dick enlarger!

Proudly Banned 1,000,001 times!! GDC world record holder for bannings! Oldfart is mildly retarded, be kind
_

Last edited by oldfart01; 04-23-2017 at 11:25 PM.
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-23-2017, 10:24 PM Thread Starter

BmineR, if you want something good to learn on, look for something like the second rifle from the top, Ruger Model 77 .22 Magnum. You can also get it in .22. A Ruger 10/22 semi-auto is another classic good shooting rifle, available most everywhere used if you want to keep costs down. Cheap to shoot & easy to maintain. They are very accurate when set up right. A .22 rifle will teach you really solid shooting skills. Mine will shoot sub 1" shot groups at 100 yards all day as long as it's not windy/breezy. If the winds blowing, forget tight groups.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1 copy.jpg (107.1 KB, 3 views)

_

Last edited by oldfart01; 04-23-2017 at 10:42 PM.
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-24-2017, 06:51 AM
Track Day Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldfart01 View Post
BmineR, if you want something good to learn on, look for something like the second rifle from the top, Ruger Model 77 .22 Magnum. You can also get it in .22. A Ruger 10/22 semi-auto is another classic good shooting rifle, available most everywhere used if you want to keep costs down. Cheap to shoot & easy to maintain. They are very accurate when set up right. A .22 rifle will teach you really solid shooting skills. Mine will shoot sub 1" shot groups at 100 yards all day as long as it's not windy/breezy. If the winds blowing, forget tight groups.

I'll definitely look into those and my dad owns the AR15 I shot. I will definitely recommend the stock options. Cheap too!

I live in NJ and it extremely difficult to get permits for hand guns and the fire arms purchasing card. When I shoot, it's typically with my dads or brothers guns that live in PA. We go to the range around 3 times in 1.5 months so it starts to get expensive. We fined some cheap shooting ranges in Phila but the shops are really shady.
I need to get the paper work done but I'm think of waiting till I move out of my wife's parents at the end the summer (Saving to buy a house). It will avoid more paper work. Each person in the home would have to sign a waiver allowing me to purchase and keep the gun in the house. There is no 2nd amendment here in NJ. They drown you in paperwork so you give up. I've had friends not get there permits or purchasers card for 6+ months. Running average is 3 months.
I can only buy 1 hand gun a month and I have to go through the whole process over again to get more hand gun permits. Permits last 90 days. Unless you are in law enforcement, you can't get a permit to carry either.
I can buy rifles and shotguns all day once I get the purchasers card. Hand guns are completely different.

So all that to say that I'm a bitch and want the guns but not the headache to get them.
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-24-2017, 06:52 AM
Stupid. Who's with me?

Garage

The good news is that Ruger will take care of it one way or another, and probably quickly. Their customer service is pretty good.
post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-24-2017, 09:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
The good news is that Ruger will take care of it one way or another, and probably quickly. Their customer service is pretty good.
That's what I expected too! Got a shock when I spoke to them this morning. First I had a girl in customer service. I told her what happened & she went & spoke to a tech. She returned to the phone & informed me, "They ALL do that! All the Mark IV's do that. It says right in the manual to not pull the trigger unless the safety is all the way off. You should read the manual". I then asked to speak to the tech & he told me, "They ALL do that, some worse than others, it depends on how much friction there is. He owns one himself & his did it too."

I made sure he understood the gun fires by itself when you move the safety & he understood & explained that once I pull the trigger the gun is ready to fire & it will fire when you move the safety. That's why they have a warning in the manual to never have the safety in the wrong spot.

I'm right handed & I found with the ambi safety that the right side safety would hit against my hand & was preventing the safety from moving normally. The tech said I should remove the right side, "That's what he did".

I did find in messing with the pistol & recreating the unintentional discharge that it got a little better after I did it about 10 times (empty of course). At first it would misfire if the safety was less than 95% or so towards off. Now, if you move the safety about 30% or more towards off, when you pull the trigger the safety jumps the rest of the way to off & it fires. My mind is blown that anyone would sell something with a known defective safety, let alone Ruger. Why the fuck should a safety take any thought? I smell a class action suit when someone gets shot like this.

_

Last edited by oldfart01; 04-24-2017 at 10:21 PM.
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-24-2017, 11:57 PM
Expert

Motorcycle: SRAD

There was\is a Remington rifle (Google it..I can't remember the model #) that killed a few people, before barely admitting this was a major issue.
Be careful!
post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-25-2017, 06:57 AM
Stupid. Who's with me?

Garage

Yeah, that's not typical of Ruger. I've not heard anything about this and I'm pretty close to the gun culture. The Mark I, II, and III never did it, so this is not something I would expect out of the IV.
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-25-2017, 08:42 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Yeah, that's not typical of Ruger. I've not heard anything about this and I'm pretty close to the gun culture. The Mark I, II, and III never did it, so this is not something I would expect out of the IV.
I agree, I have a II & a III, I never needed to wonder how the damn safety worked. I wrote a letter to the Ruger CEO last night, I'm curious if I hear back. I love the pistol, but that's crazy to have a "maybe" safety.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode