1999 750 cam chain tensioner... Looks different - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 11:35 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Garage
1999 750 cam chain tensioner... Looks different

Hi all, Ive been lurking in the shadows on you site for a while now so guess it was time to join.

I have a 1999 750,
the cam chain has had the occasional rattle and after a little searching it appears its not uncommon. so I ordered another from ebay ....
new listed as part number SUZUKI PART NO 12830-33E01
having removed the original Im a little concerned that the two parts are similar but not the same. The end of the plunger is different. Now I know they replaced the original cct with a new part and in some cases under warranty so this could be the new revised part but I have searched the internet and cant seem to find the above part number matching this image. they all have the large buffer on the end. mounting points seem the same in fact everything else looks the same just the end is different.
sooo.....
anyone else had one like this ???

Thanks in advance
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FullSizeRender.jpg (126.9 KB, 6 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 05:47 AM
Lifetime Premium

Motorcycle: GSX-R 750 (96)
Re: 1999 750 cam chain tensioner... Looks different

There were three versions of cam chain tensioners for the srad.

The upper one is the 3rd version and the other one below is the 2nd version.

I know that you need a different guide when you replace the first version (not shown) with the second version.
The newer guide is much bigger.

I just checked the workshop manual in its last version from 1999. There is the upper one listed and shown.
But they dont say anything about a new guide. So i think it should work with the fat guide which is also used with the second version of the cam chain tensioner.

Of course on your image the rod is in its shortest position. You will have to release it after you inserted the cct to the engine.
But always check your cam timings after inserting the cct. Just for the case the chain jumped for one teeth or so on.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 12:48 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Garage

Thanks Wurzel, ive been digging around today and you have confirmed what ive been told. Ive just ground down the two bolts that hold it in place so no turning back now.

I followed the advice on one of these threads about zip tie ing the chain to the top sprockets to stop it jumping out of time but as I removed the chain cover to do this it felt like the chain moved a little. im not sure but if im correct I can check this by aligning the arrow marked 1 on the exhaust sprocket level with the top of the head casting this should leave arrow two at 12oclock. I then count 15 pins to the inlet sprocket that should have arrow marked 3.

I have rotated the engine on the crank and checked the clearances while the rocker cover was off all clearances were within tolerance (amazing really) and there were no clashings of piston and valve. does this suggest the timing is ok

Its really hard to check the marks on the side of the cam sprockets as the frame is in the way. I can use a mirror but it feels a little vague.

Anyhow thanks for your response im really grateful. Ive been fretting about this and at least I now know I have the correct part.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 04:14 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Garage

Ok so by peering through the removed plug hole in the side of the frame it is possible to see the markings on the left and I can see the markings on the exhaust sprocket by peering under the frame.

I have the engine at tdc
#1 arrow on exhaust sprocket is level with the top of the head casting / #2 arrow is straight up
#3 arrow on the intake sprocket is straight up
I have 15 pins between arrow#2 and arrow#3

But the pins that line up with arrows 2&3 are the leading pins not the same as the manual. Not sure if this makes sense but I found another post on here named "cam chain timing, silly question" who posted this picture that shows exactly my situation. its the red pins that line up with the arrows not the black ones.

my question is can i move the chain round by simply removing the tensioner and slipping it round one tooth on both cams and if so, how and which way im assuming I dont want to gain any slack at the exhaust end ..... Thing is if the engine is at TDC and everything lines up arrows numbers 15 pins etc could it be that its right and I may be sending it out

I used to enjoy a little light mechanics but sometimes it melts my head.

Think im just going to stick it all back together tomorrow and see what it runs like!!

Thanks all
Attached Images
File Type: jpg camchainposition.jpg (37.9 KB, 3 views)
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-23-2017, 07:33 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Garage

All seems good had a quick blast to work and back yesterday. Thanks for your help Wurzel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode