Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

98 gsxr 600 srad ground problems

2K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  grom_e30 
#1 ·
sooooo i have a 98 gsxr 600 and i was hit about 2 months ago by a old drunk dood and laid my bike down and about 2 1/2 weeks ago my negative post of my battery was melted (luckily i was down the street from my house when it happened) but can anyone give me a hint to what i would be ik its a power issue too much power running thru my neghbor who has been a bike mechanic since 89 said if i can pinpoint the issue hell fix it for free need help asap

#4 ·
Did the metal of the post actually melt? That does indicate a short, but I'd expect more extensive damage to the wiring harness. Is the rest of the wiring/connectors ok, especially near the battery? If some plastic near the post melted, it might be that the negative battery lead attached to the post loosened, introducing resistance, heating up the post and melting the surrounding plastic. Replace the battery in any case and try a current leakage test, as per manual, to see if everything is alright.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.