Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

spark plug inspection, '97 R 750...

2K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  bueshy 
#1 ·
4 months ago, I picked up this really decent shape '97 R750, the seller talked a good game,
and said things like the air cleaner and plugs were pretty new- the oil in the site window was clean, etc.

Long story short, I was going to make many of these things a winter project, but, to make sure
I didn't have a really dirty air cleaner (due to rich a/f on a dyno a few days ago),
I lifted the tank, took a good look around, and took out the air cleaner- nearly new;
removed and inspected the plugs- all looked good, about the same color, etc.
I actually expected them to be blackened, based on my recent dyno a/f?- Nope

*I first called AutoZone and they had the NGK CR9E's for $3.59 ea.- I had 4 of 'em on hold.
After I inspected mine- I called and told them I didn't need 'em.

I didn't take pics of the plugs, You've seen normal plugs.

Well now I don't have to do that this winter!

See less See more
#3 ·
I thought about it.
I eyeballed 'em, they all looked pretty much the same.

I put a dab of grease on the threads, and stuck 'em back in.

#5 ·
If you went through all that trouble to remove and eyeball the plugs,I don't understand why you didnt simply replace the plugs?

Reactions: HeJason
#7 ·
b/c the previous owner had said he replaced them, and gapped to .030.- He was a real gear head, in his same garage at home, was a 10second Honda civic that he had built- it was strip only pretty much, not his daily driver.

The electrode edges were all squared off, like a new plug. I worn plug has the tell tale signs of rounded off electrode edges, etc. You've seen that before.
I didn't see the point in replacing nearly new plugs- no bang for the buck.

#6 ·
I have seen a set of perfectly good looking plugs and one was bad (many times). For instance, had a guy come in for a dyno run just last week, gsxr 600. Bike was running on 3 cylinders. The guy thought it was a tune issue. I told him tuning wont fix a mechanical issue (I get this all the time). Changed out 4 good looking ngk iridium plugs with a set of new cr9e plugs, and the bike ran perfectly. Guy canceled his dyno run and drove away. People neglect the maintenance on their machines and always assume it just needs a tune, I see it all the time with bad plugs, tight valves, and especially with older Yamahas, burnt coils. :cheers

#10 · (Edited)
I have seen MANY good looking plugs over the years that were fucked up. In cars, bikes, & power equipment. My last girlfriend had a big 2 stage snow blower that was a bitch to start, but would run OK once it was going. Plug looked like brand new. I thought about pulling apart the carb because often that's the culprit. Put a new plug in & it started easily & ran great. Job done in 3 minutes & I look like a hero! :lol For the small investment it's a good habit to get into.

#11 ·
Yes, and duely noted.

The bike starts ans runs fine.

In the ~4 months I've had it, I had never 'inspected' the plugs.
Runs fine.

#12 ·
Yes, and duely noted.

The bike starts ans runs fine.

In the ~4 months I've had it, I had never 'inspected' the plugs.
Runs fine.
Then the next logical step would be turbocharging. Turbo that bitch!!!:woot

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.