Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

Front Wheel Bearing removal -help

6K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  Biggles56 
#1 ·
Trying to replace the bearings at the moment on the front wheel, yet to get to rear and swingarm.

I have the front wheel removed, have remove the dust seals from the bearing on both sides . From haynes manual says to use a drift to knock/tap on the inner race on opposite of wheel to tap out

What I'm unsure about is in the photos shown does the item in red just knock out with the bearing?

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
OK got a couple more photos including the seals.
I can't work out if the outer race of the bearing is sitting under the lip of what is described in one of the photos as '???Hub, spacer or what??' which appears to be all one piece, and if so is it stopping the bearing from coming out?

Attempted to initially to tap bearing out with a drift, but seemed to be scoring the inner spacer when moving it out of the way, so purchased a set of Bearing Gear Puller Blind Hole Kit Auto Slide Hammer Bushing Remover. Fitted the correct size collar and given a few solid wacks with slide hammer and so far I can't see any movement.

Attachments

#6 ·
Ok, guess I was just woosing out, thinking I was doing something wrong. It was not enough persistence with the slide hammer. I had another look at a parts diagram, and had reasoned with myself there was nothing else there more than the bearing so went to town with the slide hammer and got one out. Did the same on reverse but it came out a fair bit easier than the initial side I started with.

Thanks for the help guys. ��

#7 ·
I have replaced the bearings on my K4, but I have never replaced bearings on a 97 GSXR 600. I thought they would be similar in design. Might be best to wait for some SRAD owners to chime in, but that metallic (steel) ring in the centre doesn't look standard to me.
That is steel right? Then the hub (which is aluminium) and that ring can't be one piece.

Here's a photo of a wheel without discs.
http://www.sportbikes.net/forums/at...50-wheels-rims-tires-00-01-02-03-dscn1880.jpg
It's one piece cast aluminium/alloy? There are no spacers. You can also see the type of dust seals which yours should have had aswell.

Spray some penetrating fluid around that steel ring. Maybe corrosion is holding it back, or maybe it was installed with retaining compound. Use the 3 point technique (eg. Mercedes symbol) and work your way around when hitting bearings.
Most importantly, don't put any force at all on the brake discs, because they bend easily.
And if you have the tyre off, be careful not to damage the rim. You don't want to be pounding away at the bearings to realise later that you damaged the rim. It really shouldn't require that much force.

Anyway, like I said, that steel ring doesn't look standard and that is what's holding you up. You can always take it to a rep mechanic and now with the wheel off it shouldn't take them long to slap in some bearings. Just my thoughts. Will let others chime in.

#8 ·
I got them out before I saw your post. What I thought was the same part wasn't. I couldn't distinguish that the hub and what I thought was a inner lip to the hub was actually the outer bearing race. What I initially thought was the outer bearing race was the outer bearing 'cage' inside the outer race.

So all in all pretty sure that would be quite similar to your K4 by the looks of your photo. :cheers

#9 ·
I've got the bearing in. Putting them in sequence as specified, ie left side first follower by insert spacer and install right side. My question now is am I suppose to use the dust seals that the All Balls kit come with or not? The reason I ask this is as when I removed the old ones there were no dust seal just the seal in between the inner and outer bearing races.

#12 ·
Were your old bearings 'bad'?

I've had a '97 R750 now for about 3 months, and never even thought about
replacing the wheel bearings.

Were you just doing it so you would have new ones? Which is OK by me btw, just wondering?

#13 ·
Hi Mate,

I wasn't sure whether they were bad or not, I've owned the bike for 10 years purchased second hand and about 4 years of that it has been parked up, so in the process of a bit of maintenance to get in back in shape for riding. In the time I was riding it, I don't recall ever getting a mechanic to replace wheel bearings, unsure if they ever were done with previous owners or not. I do have receipts for mechanical work prior to purchasing however I haven't checked.

After removing at least one them was bad, had a gritty feeling to it. Considering that these things are somewhat exposed to the elements of the road grime etc and the functionality of them is critical to bike stability I thought it was wise to do them.

I haven't done the rear one yet, but going to do so when I get some time and can get rear brake caliper off.
Going to redo the brake caliper piston seals to both front and back, front became sticky just before I stopped riding it and the rear doesn't appear to be functioning at all.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.