Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

97 GSXR carb leak - bowl feed?

6K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  hext 
#1 ·
This bike is driving me nuts.

Long story short, I had a fueling issue that I thought was a float problem, turned out to be a fuel pump/petcock issue. While troubleshooting I cleaned my carbs. After reassembly, and after fixing the fuel pump, these things are spraying gas like a Super Soaker from the rack/hard-line that runs between each carb.

Anyone familiar with how this seals, and how far down I need to tear these apart to fix this? I adjusted the float height and made sure that the needle was moving up and down in the seat.

See less See more
#2 ·
Have to tear them all the way down. Separate all four carb bodies.
There are 6 o-rings on the three tubes you are looking at.
You can buy them off any oem parts fiche...only as an assembly with the tubes. I used some from an auto parts bin for a while. Made me nervous though...so ended up getting some from Ccmhunt

#5 ·
What kind of fueling issues did you have? My -98 600 is flooding like crazy. Found out the o-rings around the needle valve seats were a bit rubbish and thought that was the problem at first. I bought rebuilt kits for my carbs with new ones. Tested the needle valves after rebuild without a single drip. Engine keeps flooding though.

Could it be possible some kind of fuel pump pressure restrictor is bad? Any similar experiences?

Many thanks!

#6 ·
Roads around here are shit. I hit a real rough patch and about 45 seconds later the bike died. Hauled it home thinking the needle was stuck or the floats were knocked out of wack and the carbs starved. Turned out to be the fuel pump had fallen off the rubber strainer stand in the tank.

I think I pushed back the oring on the hardline that's leaking when I got a little too overzealous with a can of carb cleaner.

I had a similar issue to yours and I replaced the needle/seat and reset the float height in the carbs AND replaced the petcock on my gas tank and it's been fine since.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.