Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

Cooling problems

635 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  pimpilie 
#1 ·
Hello! Please help.
My problem is this: the water from the engine coolant reservoir tank boils. I took the thermostat away and checked it in a pot with boiling wather, it opens, the waterpump works, the cooling fan comes on at 105 celsius, the hoses or radiator are not stuck with dirt, the wather temperature senzor works ok. I changed the antifreeze before that like this: i drained the old antifreeze, put the new one in the radiator, turned the bike on, left it for a couple of minutes to run with the radiator cap off so the air could bleed away, stopped it, putted the rest of the antifreeze in. I putted 2500 ml wather+antifreeze (as the book says). When I run the bike i can hear, after the water is at 100-105 degrees that it boils in the coolant reservoir. I was thinking that maybe the spring from the radiator cap is broken and the pressure from the radiator pops it open and the water can go throuht that small hose on the top of the radiator in the coolant reservoir. I tried to find a radiator tester to test if the cap is faulty but I couldn't find someone who has one. What else could be the problem? Did someone had the same problem?

#2 ·
The cap is a very likely suspect, as is any sort of leak causing loss of pressurization. Make sure that your radiator (not just the overflow tank) is full of coolant and check the condition of the surface of the filler neck of the radiator, where the cap flanges seal is good.

#3 ·
boils or is it steam and air coming out the resivoir? i had a r6 that the head gasket was gone. it was fine untill the engine hit 80c plus on the gauge then it would blow steam and air from compression into the resivoir. also srads run hot and need the extra pressure in the cooling system to raise the boiling point of the coolant. if the cap is bad you could have issues with that like mentioned already

#4 ·
It boils. I'm thinking if the gasket would be faulty that there would be oil in the antifreeze and water in the oil right? My antifreeze is clear from oil so I don't know what to think. I bought yesterday an used radiator cap (a new one in my country is about 40 euros ) and hope that this is the problem, if not the second culprit as you said could be the gasket (hope not because it would be an expensive fix)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.