Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

No spark wont start!!!

29K views 25 replies 9 participants last post by  spike52 
#1 ·
Hello everyone, I have a 2000 Suzuki GSXR 600 that I recently got. It doesn't have spark! I have not changed the spark plugs yet however the previous owner changed the coils and the cdi box. I have checked all the fuses and have found out they are all good. I hear the fuel pump running when I turn the key on and it cranks over. its just not getting any spark.

My question is, is there a stator on this bike if so could that be the problem?

#2 ·
There is a stator.....but saying yes to that is a blind guess......Get dmm....chase the power....Where does it stop?
CarlSalter.com for a free pdf manual

Your method of checking for spark is........????

#5 ·
Yup.^...You turn the lights down..when checking for spark?....helps.
Fuel pumps priming....so cdi should be good.
Chase them wires....from the coils back....Wheres the power stop /start
Old connections...Clean dielectric grease!

#6 ·
Okay but if there is no spark I'm sure there isn't any power going go the coils? I'll check all the wiring tomorrow and go from there. Another thing I read on this forum is there is a "tip over switch" that could be tripped? Would that cause it to not get spark if it needs reset. There is a picture of my bike too....

Attachments

#8 ·
For the most basic of tests......yes.......power /no power....But For around
$6-$10 dollar for a good enough Dmm... you can check a whole lot more.

You will need it........also good to know more.

#9 ·
Hi
As Mr Slow said check the wiring from the coil back using the wiring diagram. From recent experience check the ignition connector which is under the tank and air box.
I had a bad internal ignition switch connection, but this did not run the pump.
Also check the negative cables as these can also have bad dry connections even if they are tightly bolted to the frame.
So as you are testing the cables back un plug every connection you can find and give them a good clean with an old tooth brush and WD40.
Let us know how you get on.

#12 ·
If it does start once you have charged the battery ,you still have not found why it didn't start before so sods law it will pack up when your miles from home have no phone signal and start raining.
So if you have a spark now it is most likely a bad connection that you have just moved and it now works. I would go through the whole loom again cleaning all the connections and looking at all the pins ect.

#13 ·
I did disconnect every connector, cleaned and used connector protector on them. Also I located all the grounds and I cleaned the grounds very therouly. It still won't start. I have good spark good fuel I believe! I might have mixed up fuel lines not saying I did but I might have. I'll post pictures of what and how I have it hooked up when I get home from work tonight or tomorrow. I've read the repair manual and couldn't really find anything. When I tried to start it will a fully charged battery it back fired out of the carbs a couple times. Idk if that means anything good or bad ,not sure. I do have spark though and a really strong spark. I also have new plugs to put in when I get a chance.

#18 ·
backfire is either plug leeds on wrong cyls or motor is very lean at cranking

if any of the connectors near the top left of radiator has green or looks burnt a scrub or squirt from the outside may not be good enough
you can depin individual connectors in the plug and clean them better or replace

#19 ·
Well everyone I'm giving up on getting it started. So I'm going to end up taking it to a shop and have everything gone threw! Because for one I don't want to wreck the starter and for two I can't get it to start. I've tried new plugs I got spark, disconnected every single connector and cleaned them. Then I even put fresh gas in the tank. So my last resort is to take it to a shop. My local shop is going to charge $70/ an hour and do what they think needs done. So I'm cool with that, I'm prepared to spend at least a couple hundred.

#20 ·
One thing to try before throwing in the towel and taking it to your local shop.
Test the fuel tap.
Prop up the tank disconnect the large fuel pipe from the tap (might have a clamp on it) then pull the smaller vacuum pipe from the boot of carb number 3. Put a can under the fuel tap to collect any petrol then suck the vacuum pipe or use a vacuum tool or large syringe ,petrol should flow from the tap all the time you have a vacuum. If it does that's good if not you have a faulty tap.
Also are any of the plugs wet after trying to start the bike? And do the choke plungers all pull out when you turn the choke leaver?

#22 ·
not sure what trouble shooting you have done to each component in the ignition system. have you confirmed that you have voltage into and out of the kill switch. Also have you checked the green plug for the ignition barrel and do you have less then 12v on the anti theft wire to cdi? both these can give no spark.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.