Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

Help and mercy sought!

938 views 14 replies 4 participants last post by  Peenie 
#1 ·
Hi folks, I bought a '97 SRAD 750 two months ago for a reasonable price, due to a long standing running issue. I've had bikes since I was 16 (43 now) and have always sorted them myself and quite a few for others, this is the first SRAD I've worked on and am getting very frustrated....the bike will start and idle fine, but try and pull away and it dies, in a starved fashion, not sudden electrical. So far I have changed spark plugs/oil change/air filter change. I have removed and cleaned the carbs thoroughly, set mixture screws and float heights. No joy so purchased second set of carbs, same deal. If I run the bike with no airbox it will rev up and down all day for you, if I put the airbox back on, it will rev 3/4 times and then die, if I take the airbox off again, it takes a few swings of the starter before it fires up again. I've tried with the fuel tank on and off, using a dummy tank, no change. My hunch is its something to do with the airbox to float bowl tubing, or the solenoid valve to carb top tubing.... just don't know whats wrong!, I have visually checked all these hoses and they seem ok, I haven't yet checked valve timing or clearances but wouldn't expect that to make such a drastic difference..........what am I missing?????, many thanks in advance for any advice/abuse offered

#2 ·
Hi
Welcome to the SRAD world, when you put the air box back on do you fit the filter ? Blocked filter? Couldn't be that simple could it?
Have you checked all the pipes on the carbs are connected correctly? Down load a manual if you haven't already. Some one hasn't stuffed rags up the air ducts or covered the inlets ?
Also if you put your location in your profile ,someone might live around the corner and come and give you a hand.

#3 ·
Hi Al, thanks, no, new air filter, manual downloaded, tubes checked. Will admit it has all the symptoms of two potatoes shoved in the inlets!. I presume it doesn't make a big difference at this basic level of crap running that the foam seals between the airbox and the frame inner rails are long gone awol...

#9 ·
Yup, running on all 4,leads correct, haven't checked fuel filter, but I have found the cam timing to be out by three teeth!, have it mostly back together now, haven't tried a start yet, had to chaperone kids at a school night, hitting the bed now, thanks for the replies, fingers crossed for tomorrow ?

#10 ·
That would cause a fuel starvation problem. If the previous owner tinkered with the cams ,then the bike didn't run ,then why didn't they realise that that was the problem? Anyway your gain.
Let us know how you get on . Might as well check the valve clearances while your there.

#11 ·
Just an observation after reading throught the thread.

The plugs are "Soot Black" when you pull them after it has cut out but all the discussions seems to be around fuel starvation ??.

If the plugs are "Soot Black" then it's either getting too much fuel, not enough air, or not burning the fuel going in because of some kind of fuel/air or ignition or timing issue.

Be interesting to see how it goes after sorting the cam timing but if the carbs are good, the airbox/plumbing is good then I'd be looking at the ignition side of things after that.

Good luck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.