Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

"How to" on motor rebuild , should I?

4K views 59 replies 24 participants last post by  speedy sie 
#1 ·
So I have this ex-AMA motor and need to rebuild it this winter /spring, and while it is a pain in the ass, am considering doing a write up for you guys.
BUT, I asked this question prior to doing the cam degree write up, and while the question of should I do a write up generated considerable commentary, the actual "how-to" thread seemed to go largely without commentary..... Which is a little surprising and to be honest, less than rewarding considering the considerable time involved writing up a how to degree cams.
So...... Is this worthwhile, or is it going to be the same. I don't do write ups for myself, I know this shit.

#44 ·
#46 ·
So............I took the valve cover off this motor for the first time. Remember, I don't know too much about it, except for what the parts boxes tell me, like Carrillo rods, etc.
The intake cam is NOT a stock suzuki cam. I didn't pull the towers and remove it, but I could see enough. The finish on the cams between the lobes is not the rough black typical suzuki finish...it's smooth. There are oil passages drilled into the lobes themselves. I could see a marking that said R1.
Also the cams have adjustable sprockets pressed on, so during the teardown I will check timing to see what lobe centers are.....

#48 ·
I'd definitely be interested in a rebuild thread. Having taken the head and cylinder barrels of my 99 750, I'd love to see what I did right and what I did wrong and what I could have done better.

#49 ·
Can you start in a new thread, as this one is misleading, as you're asking.

Though why you ever asked in the first place, is beyond me :twitch

#51 ·
I would enjoy a write up. I have been into a few bike engines and they all have their little quirks on how to do it right. I am finishing up a motor for my 01 Gix 1000 now and learn a few things on it. There were a couple items that caught me off guard that I had not seen before.

I would be watching the build thread. It's always nice to see hwo things SHOULD be done!

I think he probably got limited responses on degreeing cams since not many people truly understand the purpose or plan on doing it.

#55 ·
ok, now this isnt the rebuild thread, but ok.
The R1 marking is common to all the intake cams I have laying around, but the finish isnt.
The oil passages on the lobes isnt common.
And of course the sprockets are slotted and the cams are degreed.

#59 ·
Ok, will tear down, id and measure parts, both stock and aftermarket from superbike build. Determine rebuild direction, likely to include some xro parts, and will document process for you guys. While all parts won't apply to everyone, some will, and the basics of performance building apply.

Sent from my DROID3 using Motorcycle.com App

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.