Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

"How to" on degreeing cams, should I?

6K views 49 replies 20 participants last post by  ccmhunt 
#1 ·
I am going to degree to cams on my old motor that is going to Williamhbonney.
The camera sprockets are APE adjustable gears and the carriers are already pressed on to the cams. They are ones I sold to Sleeper750 and were sent back to me for the install.
The reason I am asking about the write-up, is because I have sold several sets to forum members, and to my knowledge none have been installed.
I attribute this to several factors; one being the general mystery that surrounds the mechanics of it, another being the cost and fact that most people don't have the tools (TDC stop, degree wheel, dial indicator with magnetic base, pointers, etc), also there is a general sense that "numbers" are guarded by tuners.... And they are.... A great deal of time and money goes into coming up with numbers that work, and are often secretive(although as bikes get older like ours its not such a secret). Also, if you jack this up, even a little, say goodbye to your top end.
This is one of those things that I would typically keep to myself, as no one taught me, there was no Internet, I had to teach myself............. But since T WISTEDMISTER thinks I am such a Dick for not revealing everything I know when asked...... and WILLIAMHBONNEY asked me to document it, if you are still reading,
Are you interested? Should I do a write up?

See less See more
#2 ·
Im all in for a write up. Im more used to pushrod engines since i worked on camaros, but id like to compare that to a DOHC setup. Hope you go for it.

#7 ·
Would be an interesting read, although i'd NEVER try to do this myself....anything that risk's blowing up the engine, is not for me....I haven't even installed my ignition advancer yet!

#8 ·
#9 ·
You should
for those that have sprockets unfitted its actually pretty simple, just follow a procedure ,
Factory pro used to have timing recommendations for the srad that were pretty safe for good allrounders
and once your familiar with the numbers and how it all works there is a shortcut to get you from from x degrees to y degrees pretty quick

#12 ·
I'm interested, goes without saying since it's my motor. Do it up!

#14 ·
I would like the numbers only! I have all the tools and know how but having numbers to tune into would make things that much easier.

#20 ·
Write it UP!! I've got my decoder ring ready ~!

I really was planning on using the adjustable sprockets (heck the previous own had some in my 750 and took them out of my motor -because I damaged them- during my "setting the timing" debockle) - Then kx250f decided to be an attention whore (a sexy one at that!)

#23 ·
^good things for me! I'm psyched for this motor and air tray!

#28 ·
I don't seem to get a response from him on the phone these days :dissapointed

#30 ·
I know what you mean by "response". Long distance can be hard mate, and can leave you feeling undervalued and sexually frustrated...especially when there is just no more spice in the phone sex...

#31 · (Edited)
Unless you can build and engine from scratch as in from bare casings and are a competent engine builder ,then dialing in cams should be left to the people who know wot they are doing...as it will 100% damage your engine if you get it wrong,and looking at some of the post on here as in can you help me with this and that,and can you enplane this and that...dialing in cams as in the cam chine spoket ,you need the tools and the know how,iv shown people and they still look at you say,not for me.....
Its one of them things,unless you are 100% sure you can do it after some one has shown you a few times and you realy do understand ,i was shown by my old man from a very early age about engine building,on cars i might add,but at 14 i was building my first scooter and bike engines and have been doing it ever since,its nice to show people a full on engine build,but most just carnt be bothered to get all the kit to do it,as all the measuring kit i have a few ££ in just this let alone the tools,so unless you have a good deal of knowledge about...

1,cam timings!!,as in wot is going on??
2,valve lift
3, piston clearance

and all the precise mesurmants that are taken ,then leave it alone,most carnt even put a new cam chain on let alone dial in a cam....

little insite here in to cam MOP,i know its off a lotus but the info is relivent.

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rc...8oGoAw&usg=AFQjCNG8eN9CnzycRw14bF682mhYqHXouA

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.