Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

SRAD steering stabilizer

23K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  goon**** 
#1 ·
I am trying to figure out what the "correct" streering stabilizer looks like for my '96 SRAD 750.

The reason I ask is because I took my bike in to have some work done. While at the shop (a shop I have faith in), the mechanic mentioned that the steering stops had bolts screwed into them that limit the turning radius- the bolt heads protruded out a good 1/4 inch to limit steering.
I pulled the bolts out, but the mechanic expressed concern about the aluminum turn stops being weak without anything in there, so suggested putting smaller bolts in to make sure the stops didn't snap off.

He also noticed that the steering stabilizer was now limiting the turning radius and said it was the wrong one. I'm not sure how it's the wrong one. It fits into the hole on the frame and connects to the left fork arm- it looks almost like a hatchback strut, but smaller with a knob on the end to adjust dampening.

Soooo- would it be possible to direct me to the "correct" stabilizer, or, even better- post up a pic of what you all have?

Thanks a million.

#3 ·
The 96-97 750 did not have a stock one if I remember correct.

Many aftermarket unit will limit a small amount of movement, but it is very little.
If there is a change to the stops on the frame, my first guess would be it was put in place to stop any damage to the damper (stop the damper from slamming end to end), but it would only be a guess.

John

#4 ·
John, that makes complete sense. With the bolts in, the stabilizer did not hit.

I have read that the stabilizer does what it does-stabilizes-but i do not ride on the track. I ride mostly around town and enjoy close parking on campus where it's nice to have a little more turning radius.
I am guessing that I don't really need, nor will really feel the effects of, the stabilizer during my daily application. Is this correct?

#5 ·
If you have a lot of ruff roads, pot wholes, or tend to do a lot of wheelies, I would hang on to it.

Else, just take it off and see what you think. it can always go back on.
Remember, for daily riding, if the suspension is setup correct, you should not NEED it.

John

#6 ·
96-97 750 did not come with one just a FYI as John stated above. Scotts makes one that goes on top and doesn't limit the movement at all, only down fall is its a bit of money. I ride without one with no problems, but I keep both wheels on the ground and watch what I am doing pretty close.

#8 ·
ive seen a few guys use the newer steering stabilizer(pics only..dude with the corona 750 gixxer with 1000 motor in it) and they said mount them up side down on the triple and they work fine...dont know if its true..just passing the info on

#9 ·
There are better then OEM out there, but I have never really had a 'problem' with mine.
I wish I could soften the low speed damping on it, it would make it easier in parking lots and the quick side to side flicks in the tight areas of the track.

With that said, the OEM unit works well enough and way better then none at all when your really looking to push the bike. IMO.

The Scotts is nice. I hear that the GPR (Might be the wrong name here) is good, same layout as the scotts but not as many adjustments or as costly. Both do not limit the range of full lock on the bars.. So use what you will..

John

#12 · (Edited)
Ok, so I took my stabilizer off and it's a whole new feel- not only do I have a much wider turning radius, but the steering feels much quicker/livelier.

It's going to take a little getting used to, especially in tight turns- I am used to the resistance of the stabilizer- but it's already nicer trying to park in crowded spaces.

The only thing is that now I have that ugly looking point on the frame where the stabilizer bolts on. It looks like shit. Oh well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.