Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

Not a gixxer, but fun project.

923 views 14 replies 4 participants last post by  azi 
#1 ·
New project in the garage!

1998 BMW R1200C with 10K miles.

The wiring harness had a short and a fire so the owner just parked it and bought another bike.

It sat for a long time when my mechanic got it for free from the guy with a title.

He sold the bags and rear tail light, then decided to make a cafe out of it.

He changed out the original ape hanger bars to shorter bars.

He found the wiring problem and fixed it, but it burned up the ECU.

No way to tell if other things were wrong until ECU was purchased and installed.

He got busy, project stalled and he made me a great deal for the bike.

I bought an ECU off ebay, a gamble I know, Plugged it in and she powered up.

Even fire to the plugs.

No starting fluid, so a shot of parts cleaner and it fired right up.

So far I have cleaned and coated the tank with Por-15.

I have a long way to go.

Here is how it looks now and the second pic is one from Belgium that I'm going to copy, sort of. (I'm not very creative)

I'm going to keep the original big, comfy leather seat for my old A$# and just redo the tail.

Probably shouldn't post here but this is my forum!

I would post up on what I'm doing to Orange but riding to piss out of it isn't very interesting! I love that bike!!

Attachments

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Nice, I remember riding a demo of that bike for an hour when they first came out. It was a nice bike, the only odd thing was it jacked itself up & down in the rear a lot when you went on & off the throttle.

The one in the second picture is pretty cool, I like different.

#7 ·
i have been off for the holidays and made some good progress.

Our Texas weather has been great for painting, so I'm all done with that.

Getting Close to my first ride.

Attachments

#9 ·
Nice project. I used to own one of these last century.

May I suggest checking (and preferably replacing) the Hall Effect timing sensor. This generation of oilhead boxer had a reputation for burning off the insulation and leaving you stranded at random times. Happened to me a few times.

The chrome on this model was also a bit weak and tended to flake off.

Stock R1200C puts out around 60HP. I read somewhere that R1100GS heads and cams bolt straight on and give you an instant horsepower boost. Definitely worth checking out.

#11 ·
It's a unique bike that isn't directly comparable to anything else. Probably the closest in riding position and power would be a Harley Sportster, but the R1200C has much better handling. Fuel range is also much better.

It didn't have the Paralever rear swingarm (unlike the R and GS models) which is why it has a strong torque reaction with engine revs.

The Hall Effect sensor detects the crank position and tells the ignition system when to send a spark. Broken sensor = confused ECU = no spark = stranded. Check out the following links:

Diagnosing and replacing Hall Effect Sensors

Hall Effect Sensors

Good luck with your project, and have fun discovering the weirdness that is BMW! Personally I find Gixxers more reliable than BMWs and much easier to work on.

#14 ·
Cool! :cheers

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.