Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1996 GSX-R1100 Battery / Running Voltage / Charging Issues

4K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  MedicAndy 
#1 · (Edited)
I purchased this 7k miles 1996 GSX-R1100W two weeks ago. I took her for our first ride yesterday, and everything seemed to work and function as it should. I made it onto the interstate and rode at a speed of approximately 75-85 mph for 20 minutes until without any warning the engine started to sputter and right after cut off on me. Make a long story short, after I came to a complete stop, I hit the engine start button, nothing, and the headlights, and all other lights were burning very dim. So, I purchased and installed a new battery, and she started right up. However, I noticed that all of the bike's lights were still very dim, compared to the brightness that they should be.

So, it seems to me that my bike has an issue with not producing the voltage to charge the battery, and also does not supply the bike with any running voltage to operate the electric system.

I made sure that the battery was installed correctly,nothing was loose, connections were cleaned, and I even used the electric connection grease, so where or what should I look at next to trace the charging, or lack of charging issues?

Any help is very much appreciated!

Andy

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Start it up and measure the voltage at the battery at 3000 rpm. It should be around 14.6 volts. If lower than 12 volts the alternator is not working. The most likely cause of the alternator not working is the drive rubber to the alternator has failed. You can check it by unbolting the alternator and removing it from the starter clutch housing. You will see the rubber surrounding the inner splined section.

#3 ·
Thanks for your reply!

If it turns out that the drive rubber is at fault, would I need to purchase a new alternator, or is the drive rubber a item that can be purchased separately and then be replaced on the alternator? And if it can be replaced, can you please tell me where I could order the correct replacement part from?

Thanks again,

Andy

#6 · (Edited)
I'm going to say alternator bushing as well. It's a very common problem on these bikes. The rubber degrades over time and just disintegrates. You will probably find small balls of rubber in the oil. Suzuki made a superseded part for replacements. I believe this is the part number 22740-46E02 called generator coupling. Just search the part number on google and you can find a place to order it, or visit a dealer.

It's fairly easy to replace. You have to strip the bike down and remove the carbs and alternator, then remove the gear cover below the carbs. The whole gear assembly comes out, but the bushing is pressed in so it will need removal with a puller, or cutting it out.

I have the same bike (even same color) and did this about 2 years ago. I just took the gears to my dealer and they removed the old coupling and installed the new one.

You can probably pull the alternator and have a look at the coupling with a good light to determine if it's damaged before taking everything apart.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.