Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

And thus it begins...

6K views 30 replies 12 participants last post by  Polka_Dick 
#1 ·
It all started around last fall, as though this was the start of some kind of crazy Stephen King novel, last fall. I had been looking all over craigslist and eBay for a project vehicle. After looking through countless older Z's, MrkIII Supras, S13s, Z32s, and bikes of all brands and years, I finally narrow my search down to a 1993 GSX-R750 that I've come across multiple times and have noticed has been dropping in price :grin2: So I go out and have a look at the bike and realize that of course its not in as good of shape as the pictures made it out to be...turns out the bike is at the guy's brother-in-law's house and the wife wants the bike gone...imagine that right?? After having another look over the bike (mind you I've worked on automobiles for about 8 years now but I've never worked on a motorcycle so the extent of this is really more like yeah...all of the major components seem to be on the bike) and having the guy get the bike to turn over for me, I offer him $650. Long and short of it, I end up buying the bike and after a long process which included buying a bitchin' set of carbs from BadT on this forum(thanks again man, I can't wait to see them in action) and having to track down a previous owner of the bike in order to get it in my name I then found out that it was known the whole time that cylinder #3 wasn't making compression :shifty
Moral of the story is that craigslist is usually a cesspool ohttp://www.gixxer.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=440809f people who are just trying to get rid of shit that no one wants to deal with and if you are looking for your next big purchase on there you should really be leery of what you are doing...
That being said I was looking for a "project" in the first place which means that I just ended up with a LOT more than I bargained for :twitch
So I decided to do the JE piston big bore upgrade since I was already looking at replacing the piston rings and placed the order.
After of disassembling, I am now just waiting on the pistons to arrive so that I can have everything machined and put it all back together :cheers

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Damn...now I want a Corona! Gotta have a moto mechanic with you for those Craigslist bikes. You won't do that again. Good luck getting the bike back together. There are plenty of guys here to help you out if you run into additional trouble, which with any rebuild you likely will. Again good luck...we all would love to see the end result.

#7 ·
Thanks for all of the positive support guys! Also, in response to ruenin I have never worked on a bike engine before, but it seems pretty much just like a small in-line four on a car. The Clymer manual that came with the bike has been a tremendous help and gives you just enough info to figure it out. That being said this bike is being built on a VERY tight budget and I'm building it under a house in an area about the size of your average bathroom haha! Anything is possible, you just have to be willing and able I suppose...

#9 ·
So it's been a while. I've since gotten everything machined and put back on the bike all the way up to the cylinder head (check the pictures below if you're into that sort of thing). Since I'm now running 907cc of of volumetric goodness, I decided that it would probably be a little thirstier than the stock set up so I bought the Factory Pro Stage 3 needle jets (P/N: CRB-S57-3.0). It says on the package to use with the K&N pod filters (which they have in stock and I plan on buying) and an aftermarket exhaust system. I've been looking everywhere I can think of and the only one I've been able to find is this one on eBay that is some Kerker brand that I've never heard of and they want like $700:gaah! Anyone know were to find a decent aftermarket exhaust for one of these?? I would prefer Yoshimura but I don't even see a part number listed on their website.

Attachments

#10 ·
Kerker has been around since the early 70's,their 4-1 pipes make power,and at one point Kawasaki was installing them on their Eddie Lawson Factory Replica sold on the dealer floors.

Attachments

Reactions: m0bnd
#11 ·
Thanks for the insight oldgixxer, I am still new to the motorcycle scene so I have not yet familiarized myself with all of the various aftermarket manufacturers. Are there any other options out there?

#12 ·
Very slim pickin's the last several years. It's come down to finding a used pipe in condition and pay top dollar for it(i've seen them come up every now&then in our Classified forum,but they don't last long at all,or luck out after much searching and find a new,unused pipe someone hoarded. But be prepared to pay a rdiculous price.

From what I recall,with some tweaking of the spigot centerlines,an oil-cooled 1100 pipe will fit with a bit of effort;but it's be over 20yrs since I was messing with oil cooled and WC 1100's so I could have easily forgotten.

You could ask in the oil-cooled forum,they won't bite your head off,too much :lol

#14 ·
#20 ·
Damn! That's a long time! Do you have the title?? If you don't you might just want to see what you can do about filing for a lost/stolen title depending on the bike, state, ect.

Also UPDATE! I finally got the bike back together and filled with fluids! Went to start it and it sounded like it wanted to start for a second and then just endlessly turned over :banghead

Soo, my first question is which spark plug wire on the rear coil goes to which spark plug? Currently I have the top wire going to cylinder #1 and the bottom one going to cylinder #4 simply because that is the only configuration that the wire lengths will allow for. If anyone could give me some guidance it would be much appreciated!

#22 ·
Thanks for the advice twinhead! So I checked the coils as per the manual's specifications and they are both within spec. I also checked the compression in all of the cylinders (despite the fact that I literally have brand new pistons and rings) and cylinders 1-3 check out at 150psi, however, cylinder 4 only had 130psi. I'm fairly certain this means one of the valves in that cylinder has a slight leak, but looking at the manual it doesn't say that should be a problem (see picture). So at this point I honestly can't think of what the problem would be. She definitely sounds like she wants to start, but the only thing I ever get is a reassuring fireball out of the tailpipe every once in a while. If anyone has any advice it would be really appreciated, for now I'm just :banghead

Attachments

#23 ·
**UPDATE**

So I realize that this project is taking even longer than I anticipated and I'm not really sure if anyone is still following this build anymore, but I've finally made some progress. I sprayed a little ether into each of the carbs and it fired right up! (video: https://www.instagram.com/p/BTIe-EHgRsi/?taken-by=polka_dick) As you can tell from the video it's not getting enough fuel noted by the fact that as soon as it burns all the ether it dies. Unfortunately when I finally got it to start I discovered another problem, the oil pressure was so high that it blow the seal off of four different oil filters. :gaah After talking to a few people I found out that there is an oil pressure sensor and an oil pressure valve in these bikes that regulates the oil pressure. I bough one of each of them thinking it was a worthy investment on a bike that's 24 years old with 24,000 miles on the engine before it lost cylinder #3. When I went to replace them I quickly realized that the wire that goes to the oil pressure sensor was conveniently missing. :facepalm (picture below) Not only that but four of the oil pan bolts didn't match and the main bolt in the middle was missing. :grrr So my question is whether anyone out there knows were that wire is supposed to be routed because I can't fine a wiring diagram for this bike the my owners manual. Thanks! :cheers

Attachments

#24 ·
F.Y.I...that missing wire should be to trigger a light on the dash.
You can keep the bike running with No carbs at all via a spray bottle and some gasoline.
Consider it a crude form of fuel ingestion (see what I did there!) but it works.
I have run many a Gsxr with no carbs at all via this method.
Once the bike fires, simply spray each cylinder in succession and it will stay running as long as you are pumping fuel.
A tad bit dangerous but no more so than the super low flash point of oh-so volatile starting fluid and a lot better for the motor.

#25 ·
Ok, so I have a manual for the '92 model that has a wiring diagram and it was telling me to wire it to that light, but I wasn't really sure if that made sense or not so thank you for clearing that up SRADIATOR! So I'm guessing the oil pressure valve is what regulates the oil pressure by opening when the operating pressure is reached right? I'm hoping that replacing it will fix the problem of the oil filter seal exploding every time the bike starts.

#26 ·
PS...While it has been e-ons since I've had to drop an oil pan, that kind of dirt accumulation can't be healthy for a motor!
With that much dirt in the pan some had to find it's way to bearing and journal surfaces as well as cylinder bores so I'm wondering about the state of said motor!

#27 ·
**UPDATE**
It's been a very long time since I have posted on this thread, but I have finally got the bike to start up and run! The only problem is that it only wants to idle at about 7K rpms. :wtf I was wondering if anyone has run into this issue before, or has any advice. I suspect that it involves something with the idle jets, but it's definitely a head scratcher. Check the video below to hear it run!

:cheers

#28 ·
Based on the pics of the engine in its initial condition, dirty valves in a cleaned up head, and no mention of checking the bottom end and the pics of the oil pan it would be safe to say that if the inside of your motor looked like that, the carbs probably look worse. IIWM a full teardown of the carb bank would be in progress. There is a sticky on here that shows it start to finish in pictures.

#29 ·
Thanks thanks for the advice Bufftester! Unfortunately the these carbs are the same ones that Bad_T cleaned in that sticky, and they have been torn down and cleaned multiple times just to get it to it's current state. I suspect that it's an adjustment issue of some sort, but I'm not sure what adjustment needs to be made...

:cheers

#30 ·
Your idling issue has been talked about before in a couple of threads but can be attributed to the oval-ing of the needle jets by the jet needles over time. This causes excess fuel to enter the cct and will provide an over rich fuel/air mixture which floods the engine. Once the mains come into effect, the mixture has a lot more air and will work properly.

Solution, replace both the needle jet and jet needle on all four carbies. these should still be available from you local Suzuki dealer. Replacing these will also give you the opportunity to give those peskie little carbies a bit of a clean too.

Best of luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.