Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

My 1100w help thread

9K views 58 replies 15 participants last post by  Bufftester 
#1 ·
I figured this was the best place to put this. If not, mods please move. I figured this was the best place t collect all my thoughts instead of starting a ton of threads. First off, some pictures as promised in my introduction thread:

After Paint:

I'm essentially making one bike out of three, and buying new stuff where needed. So far I have new stainless brake and clutch lines from Wezmoto, new fuel lines, pulled carbs and awaiting new viton kit, new intake gaskets, replaced shock from 2008 1000, new rubber everything, repaint, rewire and cleanup, LED cluster bulbs, seat is getting recovered, dropped oil pan to de-sludge and new gasket, new exhaust gaskets, coolant flush, integrated turn signals, and that's all I can think of right now.

Bike has something like 5,500 miles on it and had been sitting awhile. Here are my current issues:

- Headlights won't turn on.
- Yoshi Header pipe is banged up, can't find a replacement.
- Cooling fan has melted, can't find a replacement.
- Can't find suitable rubber pads to replace on the fairings or tank cushion

So far that's about it.

See less See more
#3 ·
I considered it upon sign up. However, the classifieds seem kind of dead as does this section. Why is there no love for these bikes? They are a good bike and seem to have been around long enough for there to be support, but I can't even buy an exhaust for it. I mean even my GS450, which is the red headed step child of the gs line and especially within sub 500cc bikes of that era, has an ok aftermarket.(Which I thought was pretty sparse until I got this) Like I can buy anything for any other GSXR ever, but the 93-98 range is a giant black hole.

#4 ·
- Headlights won't turn on.
- Yoshi Header pipe is banged up, can't find a replacement.
- Cooling fan has melted, can't find a replacement.
- Can't find suitable rubber pads to replace on the fairings or tank cushion
header can be repaired

fan: SUZUKI GSXR1100 RADIATOR FAN | eBay

rubbers can be order as oem spare parts

headlight , you have 12V on front connector?

#5 ·
- Trying to repair the header, just would be nice to have a new one.

- That fan is the OEM plastic one which will just melt like the other two I have, Im trying to come up with a more permanent solution.

- The rubber buffers are not broken out on the parts fiche for ordering. Also the OEM ones haven't seem to done a good job at keeping the bolt heads from wearing against the fairing.

- I have not put a multi-meter at the lights yet.

#7 ·

No, not those, the pads for the fairings, and like I said the OEM ones dont seem to help much anyway.

And yes I am aware of the muzzy, it doesn't exist anymore and is made of unobtainium. I have researched the hell out of this already and read every single thread on this forum regarding it. There is pretty much zero aftermarket support anymore, everyone has just stopped making stuff. You can still get a lot of OEM parts but theres even some of that you can't buy anymore.

#9 ·
Are you saying a Hayabusa fan might fit? Anyway to confirm this?

New problem, I can't seem to build any pressure at the rear brake. Fluid passes out both bleeders just fine but wont harden up. The fronts took some time but they are rock solid now. Also I can't seem to move fluid in either direction for the clutch. Tried both forward and back bleeding. System won't take any fluid, thoughts?

#10 ·
So I got everything figured out for the hydraulics. Slave was full of junk and plugged up. Pulled it apart, cleaned it up and she's like new. Rear brake had to bleed at the master before it built pressure. They all work fantastically now. Still looking for a solution for my fan.

#11 ·
Update on fan solution, I figured out that the RF900, ZX7-R, and the 95 750 all use the same HT-H3 part number so I started scouring everywhere for those model numbers. Eventually, I found a link to a German (but the guy was actually in New Jersey?) Ebay classified auction for an entire used RF900 radiator assembly. It just so happened to have a Muzzy fan installed in it. After paying way more then I care to admit, its on its way to me. Im hoping to maybe template this out and have my local machine shop make some. I just can't believe that with all the bikes it fits, and as much of a problem that it is, that nobody makes one anymore.

#12 · (Edited)
Keeping this updated even though there isn't much interest, hoping maybe it will help someone else with there problems down the road. Today was carb day. Litetek viton kit, 145 mains, clean and polish. :

Reactions: TJS
#13 ·
Pulled the trigger on random Ebay header. Its a 4-2-1 so I hope it will work with my system. Seller was not a bike person but a storage auction picker. Apparently its SUDCO brand? Only bought it because it was $20 and had no dents or dings in it. The guy wouldn't ship but I just so happen to have family that lives in the area that agreed to go grab it for me this week. Went to a local custom bike shop and they had zero interest in working on my header or making me one. My last option is ordering one from Black Widow in the UK and sucking up the shipping cost.

#15 ·
Yeah I saw it, its in worse shape then mine. I'm hoping this one I just bought will work. From what I understand the oiler pipes have clearance issues on the pan.

#16 ·
We can continue this in PM if you feel the need.

#18 ·
I have already said why. I do not want to clutter this thread with off-topic things.

#21 ·
The exhaust dilemma continues. I have two Yoshi headers that I am trying to get repaired, a rusty crusty Vance and Hines that wont fit my midpipe and a Hindle/Sudco that is a 4-2-1 which hits my oil pan and has an odd exit. Looks like I can still order a new Micron for about $500, but Id like to get the bike running on something first before I dedicate money to an exhaust. Thinking of just throwing the Vance on temporarily just to get the bike started.

#22 ·
Semi-success this weekend. She runs! Fought me every step of the way but I heave a sort of acceptable exhaust on it now. Fuel petcock leaks, new one on order from ronayers. I have headlights and console lights now. I re,insulated all the wiring and tucked it up better as well.

#23 ·
She lit right off today, once settled and choke was off all she needed was some minor idle adjustment. Never haveing a full on super sports before I was both a little shocked and intimidated at the same time. The clutch is firm and bites hard. The bike feels like it has tons of power and was ready to just take off, even at 4000rpm. I just putted it up and down my private road just to get everything up to temp. Never got out of 2nd. Its a very strange feeling bent so far over and having so much weight on the front end. The steering is definitely going to take some serious getting used to. when I got off I was just so happy I couldn't contain myself. That feeling never gets old, spending so much time putting something together and just having it work first go.

#25 ·
Well, its never easy is it? After spending a week fighting with plastics, brand new hardware that doesn't fit, and one to many "now how does that go back together?" I got her all buttoned up yesterday. Fired her up and took it for a spin around the block. Brakes good, clutch good, tires meh. I was surprised at how well she turned in. Backing the bike up and turning her around is just awful lol. Found a decent enough stretch of road and really gave her the beans. Pulled like a train up to 7K and bam! She hit an invisible wall and would not accelerate anymore. Acted just like it was hitting a rev-limiter:hammer

I have a few theories. Either it isn't drawing enough vacuum to keep up with the fuel demand, there is something wrong with the electrical system (coils, ignition, battery), or it just needs a full tank of good fuel (currently has a gallon of regular in it). Petcock is brand new Suzuki OEM, tank is clean, and carbs were rebuilt properly. Plugs are new and gapped.

#27 ·
No suggestions but just adding that I am indeed here and read your thread! I have a full Micron system and it is not excessively loud. Makes a pile of power. There is essentially no action with these bikes and basically zero on the for sale side so not worth the red R just for the WC section. I am looking for some 1100 carbs and have had no luck over the last 4-6 months. You wouldn't happen to have any spares would you?

Sounds like an electrical issue if its not dependent on throttle position?

#29 ·
Evan, I offered you a set of my carbs/boots/cables/rebuild kit and you didn't care for my asking price but its all good. Thanks for checking in and offering your opinion of the micron. I see I can still order one of those so I might go that direction.

Small update, not sure if success or not but I filled the tank up with 93 and she runs better. Not perfect but more power and revs harder. I think the fuel I put in was old and probably barley 87 anymore and she was pulling timing? Im hoping if a run a tank or so through i might solve my problem. That's what I am hoping is the case anyway. More pics in the meantime:

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.