Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

CDI question

3K views 27 replies 16 participants last post by  twinhead 
#1 ·
Ok so this has been on my mind for a while now and I figured I'd ask the question..

Does anyone know if an 1100 will benefit in performance from using a 750 CDI?
From what I can recall being said here before, they have different curves and the 750 is slightly more aggressive..? :scratch

I know the rev limiter is higher in the 750 CDI but I'm not looking to try this CDI switch to rev the 1100 higher.
The reason I ask is I have a yoshi 750 race CDI sat doing nothing since I removed it from my 750 I'm selling, and was wondering if it'll be an improvement if I put it on my 1100.

Anyone able to shed any light on this subject?
Thanks people :cheers

#2 ·
Well...Since you already know the power characteristics of your 1100, plug in the 750 box and see how she flies?
Ease into it and see if there are any discernable difference worth the switching.
It may not be worth the switching or even work at all.
From what i recall, the redlines are different and everything else is the same.

#3 ·
I'm obviously no expert, having only seen what I've read here. But remember distinctly that some of the folks said just what SRAD did, only the redline is different for the 750 (much higher) and if reached while installed in an 1100 it may throw a rod or impact a piston. What's the 1100's redline, something like 12-ish, compared to 13500 for the 750?

#5 ·
I suppose I'll just try it as suggested. Like I said I'm not looking to rev the 1100 higher, I'd restrict with a dyna limiter if I was to find gains and keep this mod. I'm well aware the 1100 motor will grenade when revved too high and do not wish this to happen :lol

I haven't got access to a dyno to test for any gains that can be measured and displayed hence why I'm asking opinions..
I know when I put the cdi on my 750 though it definitely perked the motor power up so I'm thinking it's not got a stock curve.
I did manage to find one post so far from someone who said basically the redlines go up with the smaller motor, but you lose in midrange by going for a smaller engine's CDI (750 on 1100, 600 on 750..).

Saying that, IIRC I remember someone here switching their 1100 CDI to a 750 works unit or similar and gaining a couple of horses..

Just seems like there's a big jumble of hazy info on this that could do with clarifying if possible.

:cheers

#8 ·
Yeah, but mine isn't the Yosh box, its the Suzuki WSB one which does give more bhp and torque simply by adding it. I'd hang onto the 750cdi if for no other reason than having an ignition spare!

PS: mine has a dyna rev limiter on it :):cheers

#9 ·
I'm in the process of selling off my spare 750 stuff that I won't keep for the 1100 to get some cash back..
To be honest if I get no gain from it (not to mention the hassle of rewiring the bike just to get it to work), then it's not worth keeping IMO. I could sell it for about $150 and buy a stock 1100 spare for $50.

#14 ·
I would Dan, but it'd be a hell of a pay it forward for me when cash is tight at the mo :(
Preferably I want get back the cash I put into it (without checking I believe it was $140-150 :eek) and since I can't advertise/sell here I guess it'll be going on ebay along with a literal shed load of other parts I need to offload.. that is, assuming I can't gain from putting it on my 11 :D

#17 ·
Nah, a combination of shit weather and lack of time is holding me back. Plus any 'bike time' I do get is allotted to rebuilding/reconditioning my brakes at the mo - I still have the fronts to do.
I'll definitely post up any results when I get around to trying it out though :)

#19 ·
Not entirely sure, but I think it depends which models you're wanting to cross-match CDI's from.
This yoshimura CDI was plug & play for the 92 & 93 750's. Suzuki changed the wiring for the 94 & 95 so it had to be rewired slightly for my 95. Looking at the wiring diagram for my 96 (and up) 1100 it's pretty much the same as my 95 750 so I would imagine a 94 & 95 750 CDI would just plug & play. If I get the chance (read time) to, I'll have a play and see if my 750's stock CDI will P&P.

#21 ·
Yoshimura race CDI box #R-330W (fits: gsxr600/750 92-95) does NOT Plug & Play on 94 1100W. I've tried! Researching the wiring diff. w/ Yoshimura Tech as I type this. Currently have V&H powerpak set to custom config. w/ advancer - IS A MONSTER!! I will compare the 2 before I leave one of them for sure - Dyno #'s to be sure!

#22 · (Edited)
FWIW that yoshi part does not fit 94/5 750 without rewiring. I'm surprised it doesn't plug & play on the 94 1100 as I thought the CDI wiring setup would've been the same as 93 750.. Nevermind though - the wiring difference is pretty easy to overcome as I did so with my 750 and some trial & error. Took about 3 hours of to-ing and fro-ing from bike to PC lol. Ended up rearranging a couple of pins and using about 100cm's of additional wire, no biggie really.
I'd be surprised if a yoshi tech knows anything about it or can offer any help that you can't just figure for yourself just by comparing wiring diagrams in the manuals :)

Oh and if its relavent to anyone, as an additional update to this thread kinda, I haven't got around to trying this on my 1100.. Just not had the time yet.

#24 ·
My .02...My bike runs best with a stock ecu and Yoshi advancer then it ever did with the Duncan hines Powerpak.

#26 ·
Thats some fat torque

#27 ·
I was thinking the same thing. HDs don't boast that kind of torque w/out having a major massage on the mill or using a 100"+ motor.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.