• 1 Post By roadster1
  • 1 Post By crispone
  • 1 Post By oldgixxer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-02-2003, 11:43 AM Thread Starter
Amateur

Motorcycle: rimmer
Shouldn\'t we get

Shouldn't we get a sticky on what to do when your transmission goes.. it seems like alot of people here latley are asking the same think about the transmission when they lose second gear .. really it is a wasted topic of people repeating themselves.. I think that we should have a transmission how to as a sticky so people can reference it.

What do you guys think??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-02-2003, 12:41 PM
Expert

Motorcycle: 1100K
Re: Shouldn\'t we get

It sounds like a good idea to me. Trouble is, there seems to be a few different approaches as to how to resolve 2nd-gear problems. I've talked to Billy Rohm, and he makes a good case for his "cryo-treated" gearset... I know that APE makes a "heavy duty" gearset with re-designed engagement dogs, and then I also spoke to Patrick over at Fast by Gast and he told me that their undercutting service will ("9 times out of 10" in his words) repair the damaged area of the gears - FbG also said that for $20 extra or so they can weld up the dogs prior to cutting them in those cases of extreme damage... Patrick also said that they would be happy to inspect my shift drum and shift forks if I want to send them along with the transmission. APE offers undercutting services too, and Billy Rohm said that his cryo'd gearset is undercut as well. If you're made-of-money, APE offers replacement "severe duty" input and output shafts too. Then, of course, there's always the "replace it with OEM stuff" option. ...and THAT list doesn't begin to touch on the "put a 6-speed from a 750 in it" option.

No matter how ya fix the tranny itself, there's a whole collection of dowel-pins, gaskets, and o-rings for splitting the cases... and that can be done without opening the top-end, *or* you can take the opportunity to go ahead and do that big-bore kit/valve-job, etc. (and spend another $100 or so on additional gaskets/o-rings/seals) while you've got the engine out of the frame.

It would be *very* nice if there was a "how-to" sticky... but there's a lot of different approaches to "how-to". What works for a street motor that's stock is NOT gonna work for the turbo'd/blown/sprayed 1300cc+ monsters that some of you guys have built... and I don't need a million-dollar transmission in my streetbike.

One thing that *is* nice about all the dwarf-car guys "stealing" our motors is that at least that means that there are a *lot* of different options (and suppliers/shops) for fixing these problems... I've got a friend with a `80's 650 Seca that's got a blown tranny and I'm not sure that there are any replacement parts available for that.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 10:28 AM
Lifetime Premium

Motorcycle: 1991 GSXR 1100, 2004 H/D Roadking, 2011 BMW GS 1200, 1975HondaCL360 Cafe, 1975 Honda VFR 750
Re: Shouldn't we get

There are always 20+ ways to do similar projects
potshot likes this.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 04:33 PM
IMMITIGABLY VERBOSE DUDE

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastCat View Post
It sounds like a good idea to me. Trouble is, there seems to be a few different approaches as to how to resolve 2nd-gear problems. I've talked to Billy Rohm, and he makes a good case for his "cryo-treated" gearset... I know that APE makes a "heavy duty" gearset with re-designed engagement dogs, and then I also spoke to Patrick over at Fast by Gast and he told me that their undercutting service will ("9 times out of 10" in his words) repair the damaged area of the gears - FbG also said that for $20 extra or so they can weld up the dogs prior to cutting them in those cases of extreme damage... Patrick also said that they would be happy to inspect my shift drum and shift forks if I want to send them along with the transmission. APE offers undercutting services too, and Billy Rohm said that his cryo'd gearset is undercut as well. If you're made-of-money, APE offers replacement "severe duty" input and output shafts too. Then, of course, there's always the "replace it with OEM stuff" option. ...and THAT list doesn't begin to touch on the "put a 6-speed from a 750 in it" option.

No matter how ya fix the tranny itself, there's a whole collection of dowel-pins, gaskets, and o-rings for splitting the cases... and that can be done without opening the top-end, *or* you can take the opportunity to go ahead and do that big-bore kit/valve-job, etc. (and spend another $100 or so on additional gaskets/o-rings/seals) while you've got the engine out of the frame.

It would be *very* nice if there was a "how-to" sticky... but there's a lot of different approaches to "how-to". What works for a street motor that's stock is NOT gonna work for the turbo'd/blown/sprayed 1300cc+ monsters that some of you guys have built... and I don't need a million-dollar transmission in my streetbike.

One thing that *is* nice about all the dwarf-car guys "stealing" our motors is that at least that means that there are a *lot* of different options (and suppliers/shops) for fixing these problems... I've got a friend with a `80's 650 Seca that's got a blown tranny and I'm not sure that there are any replacement parts available for that.

Yeah, stick THIS! ^^^ LOL!

Pretty good preliminary rundown there... made me smile.

-crisp
rklontz likes this.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 09:26 PM
Lifetime Premium

Motorcycle: 91 GSX-R 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by crispone View Post
Yeah, stick THIS! ^^^ LOL!

Pretty good preliminary rundown there... made me smile.

-crisp
Yep she was super cool and a wealth of knowledge
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 01:42 AM
Squid

I believe 9 times out of 10 the solution is Ebay or Craigslist.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 06:16 AM
I CAN tell the difference between a squirrel and a monkey...

Location: In the garage, smoking one of Anthony D's cigars...
Motorcycle: None, gave them all to Anthony D...

Fast Cat,RIP my dear

Why was this 13yr old thread bumped,so y'all can remnd me Fast Cat is dead? C'mon people,just stop with this crap already.
Todd_Sails likes this.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 09:16 PM
IMMITIGABLY VERBOSE DUDE

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgixxer View Post
Fast Cat,RIP my dear

Why was this 13yr old thread bumped,so y'all can remnd me Fast Cat is dead? C'mon people,just stop with this crap already.

Wow, missed the OP dates... sorry Rob, did not know about Fast Cat.

-crisp
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-14-2017, 05:39 AM
I CAN tell the difference between a squirrel and a monkey...

Location: In the garage, smoking one of Anthony D's cigars...
Motorcycle: None, gave them all to Anthony D...

Quote:
Originally Posted by crispone View Post
Wow, missed the OP dates... sorry Rob, did not know about Fast Cat.

-crisp
Crisp,ya did nothing wrong...enjoy your weekend
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode