GSXR 1100 Ratbike Project - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-28-2017, 12:24 PM Thread Starter
Amateur

Motorcycle: 1986 GSXR 815, 2002 Bandit 1200N
Lightbulb GSXR 1100 Ratbike Project

PURISTS BEWARE! I have so many spare parts in my storage shed that I could create an entire bike, so instead of piecing it out and have a lot of leftover stuff nobody wants Ill do something with it all and at the same time clear up space. This is going to be a complete rat bike and the goal here is to spend as little as possible to recreate a running and riding bike. If there's corners that can be cut and making things work when they're not supposed to, it'll happen here. oh and this will all take place in the span of 1 week if possible

here's what I've got and what I might have to modify:

- 1990 gsxr 1100 frame and plastics with 'busa tail all in decently bad shape and ugly paint, extended swing arm might be cut and returned to normal length

- 1st gen 1052 motor with rusty cylinders, the plan here is to install 1127 pistons (overbore) utilize a dot head Ive got lying around and hopefully it'll be a done deal. If the motor is indeed completely screwed from rust and other problems then this project might just not happen

- '86 gsxr 750 complete ignition, with pickups, coils, and CDI. I will need to make this work

- '86 gsxr 750 wheels, entire assemblies with rotors and all and entire front brake setup

- '86 gsxr entire front end and rear shock. on the '90 frame the shock has a fork on the lower instead of an eye, Ill need to do some research here to see what compatible

- '86 750 oil cooler with lines

- the wiring harness is questionable. it seems to be all intact, I will need a better look at it. if all comes to worst Ill just have a running bike without lights

What ill need for sure:

* the keys were not with the bike when i got it. ill need to smash the tumblers somehow on the tank so i can replace it and replace the ignition... unless i can break the tumblers in a way where i could use any key for access on both
* carburetors. and filters
* rear brake entire assembly and torque arm, I might just make my own torque arm from material i already have
* a rear shock if i don't modify my '86 one or mod the swing arm to take it and if they're the same length
* battery
* 1127 pistons and bore the 1052 block. I'm sure its doable... is it?
* an exhaust that will fit. I've seen people use k1 to k4 or even 'busa headers by some simple bends
* tank petcock

I believe thats it, for now. Its definitely a project but I think it'll work, I have a good vision for it

G86
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-28-2017, 12:25 PM Thread Starter
Amateur

Re: GSXR 1100 Ratbike Project

post #3 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-28-2017, 01:29 PM
On The Outside Looking In

Motorcycle: THE SRADIATOR

1052 is a fine piece of history!
Lose the spiked hand grips, lose the rear shock, get on with the project!

post #4 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-28-2017, 02:15 PM
Amateur

Motorcycle: 06 GSXR1000

post #5 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-29-2017, 07:45 PM Thread Starter
Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE SRADIATOR View Post
1052 is a fine piece of history!
Lose the spiked hand grips, lose the rear shock, get on with the project!
exactly, Ill need grips too, lol, ill begin on the 9th. until then I'm gathering info that ill eventually need
post #6 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-29-2017, 07:47 PM Thread Starter
Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geesxara View Post
lol ok 1 week is a tad optimistic, it all depends on the turnaround time for the machine shop and waiting on parts to arrive.
I need to tear the motor down and see if the bottom end is good and check the wiring harness before anything
Geesxara likes this.
post #7 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-29-2017, 08:15 PM Thread Starter
Amateur

so here's my first set of questions:

- can anyone guide me on installing a '86 750 ignition on an '86 1052 motor? wire harness is for a '90 1127. I'm sure its been done before but I can't find it. the pickups and CDI and coils are just a matter of bolting on, but how will I wire it into the '90 harness? Im no electrician by any means

- I found out 1052 sleeves CAN be bore an extra 2mm to take 78mm 1127 pistons, great! now I just need to see if that bottom end is good...

- has anyone had to break the tumblers in the gas tank and ignition because there wasn't a key? lol, I need to do that with this bike

G86
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-30-2017, 01:15 PM
Ghostrider

Motorcycle: few gsx-r
Garage

difference between 1052 and 1127 displacement:
76mm and 78 mm
1 mm hub difference aswel 58mm for 1052 , 59mm for 1127
rods on 1052 are 0.4 mm longer too
post #9 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 01:14 AM Thread Starter
Amateur

so a little update on the ratbike.....

finally brought it home today and looked at it a little closer. like I said, the cylinders are all rusted and id imagine the valves and seats are too, and pitted. I plan on boring the sleeves to 78mm and slapping a dot head on using the 1052 cams, should work nicely. this is if the bottom end is still in good shape, ill find out tomorrow

the chain is currently soaking in cider vinegar to rid it of rust. while I had it off I checked the counter sprocket for movement since I couldn't shift. just like I was afraid of, the transmission is locked, no movement at all. whether this is from rust or something mechanical jamming it is what Ill find out. if it is only transmission related, Ive got an entire tranny for an '89 750 I can slap in. This will give it 6 gears instead of 5. I believe the oil pump is also swappable, if need be

before I do that Ill need to get it on wheels and on the ground so I can at least roll it around even if the motor is no good at all. no rear shock, so Ill just fab up a rear strut that will also lower it. this was meant as a drag bike anyway, the swing arm was extended a good 8 inches or so. should hook up nicely with a solid rear strut in place. my '86 750 front end and wheels will be going on, the anodizing on those forks are kinda ugly so ill pretty them up with some black spray paint, lol. probably do a poor-mans lowering job on the front with a tie-down, we will see.

still haven't looked at the wiring harness. again if all comes to worst here I could just do without lights, ill need to worry about the kill switch and ignition unless I can get around it (no key) I have a CDI, coils and pickup for an '86 750 that will go on, CDI I know will need re-wiring

here it is, unloading from a truck and how it currently sits

G86
post #10 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 05:25 AM
Married his Fleshlight...

Cool man! Love to see how it comes together

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
post #11 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 06:08 PM Thread Starter
Amateur

I finished up a custom adjustable rear strut to alter ride height, with that done I was able to install the swing arm and the '86 750 wheels, but not before I had to fabricate some spacers for the rear wheel since the '90 rolling chassis didn't have any to begin with. beautified the 750 forks and brake calipers with some spray paint, lol. the 750 triple tree bolted up perfect and the bars clear the frame in full lock left to right

Ive noticed that the 1052 motor has the oil fittings to the cooler located right in front of the block facing the front tire, this might be a problem since my 750 cooler was meant for fittings underneath on the oil pan. also with a little rocking back and forth with the chain on the sprockets I got the bike out of transmission lock and freely rotating in neutral. went to see if it would actually shift, couldn't shift up at all but i got it into 1st gear and now it won't come out.

I drained whatever was in the crankcase and I found a nice mix of oil and water, idk how long it was in there for but it mustve been a while. with the condition of the top end and seeing how the tranny won't upshift I suspected rust, but I didn't know how bad considering the only thing left open was the oil cooler lines and breather on the valve cover. clutch basket has a good amount of rust, but to be honest I think this motor is salvageable. any part I see rust on will get a cider vinegar bath. if the transmission is screwed ill drop the 6 speed in there. I found several sets of 1127 pistons each for under $50.

Ill be back when I tear into the motor further...

Heres what was on the drain bolt.... goop

G86
post #12 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-13-2017, 03:49 AM Thread Starter
Amateur

got a lil bit done today.

before I called it quits last night I filled the crankcase with some old 2-stroke fuel to help clean things up in there once I drain it. while it was full I went back and managed to shift the transmission back into neutral without much of a fuss. I don't think the tranny is mechanically screwed, but rather full of trash, I guess theres only one way to find out

I wanted to get basic stuff outside of the motor taken care of before digging into it so there won't be tools and parts everywhere, so with that in mind I tackled the foot pegs since I didn't have any. to start things here, the right rear set was off a completely different bike and needless to say didn't work. I wasn't about to spend money on rear sets and foot pegs, so I made work with what I had. came across bicycle pegs that were sitting in a cabinet for years that I always wanted to do something with, so they became my foot pegs. but not before a lot of modification to the rear sets. the brake lever was bent pretty good, the handle broke off when I tried bending it back in place. drilled a hole through the arm and fitted a pipe with a bolt as a replacement

I didn't have an exhaust either, but I do have some aftermarket 750 headers. did a mock fitment and they actually came pretty close to fitting, touched the oil pan towards the front just a little. one of the tubes on the headers was already slightly bent upwards/backwards, so I bent the rest of the pipes to match it. with that done the headers barely clear the oil pan

next was to address the dot head that will eventually go on this bike. I had a machine shop clean it up about a year ago but stopped when we discovered that the valve seats were pitted from rust. so I lapped the valves myself using grinding compound, a rubber hose, and cordless drill and then reassembled the springs and retainers. came out pretty good! at least i think, ill have the machine shop pressure test it. some of the rockers are in bad shape and some of the screw adjusters are stuck, those will be replaced with parts off my original '86 750 head that needs repair

G86
post #13 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-14-2017, 03:26 PM Thread Starter
Amateur

collectively I've got about $45 into this project by now. I haven't figured out the key situation for the tank and the ignition, the wiring seems mostly intact. I still need a battery, rear brake line (unless the MC and caliper are beyond repair), carburetors, grips. Im sure I have a spare petcock somewhere or can fix one. the clutch diaphragm will also need attention
post #14 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 05:24 PM Thread Starter
Amateur

Lightbulb Re: GSXR 1100 Ratbike Project

sooo...... after cleaning I found that my clutch basket/assembly is completely screwed from rust. the clutch basket assembly on these 1052 motors are only compatible with each other and share the fiber plates only with the GSX1100G.

with no used units on ebay and too short on $$ to buy new (and lack of will for this build) Ive looked into secondary options...my '89 750 bottom end

for those who don't already know, an '89 clutch basket assembly WILL NOT work on a 1052, the basket gear is one tooth too large. what will need to happen here is remove the old basket gear from the 1052 clutch and install it on the 750, Ill make this happen with bolts and nuts since I don't have rivets and a riveter. another thing to take note of is the shorter stack height compared to the 1100 clutch assembly. the clutch actuating rods will need to be shortened to accommodate for this

the 750 clutch plates are a good bit larger in diameter than the 1100, but the stack height is shorter. could this still be considered an upgrade?

G86
post #15 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 07:17 PM Thread Starter
Amateur

the 750 clutch assembly is exactly 1.25" shorter in height than the 1052 one, so ill need to make the actuating rods 1.25" shorter

I'm starting to think maybe this clutch will slip with this much power behind it, what do y'all think?

Im estimating around 140 whp from this motor setup and somewhere around 80 ft-lbs torque
post #16 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 09:57 PM Thread Starter
Amateur

a bit of a late post, but Ive been working on and off for the bike, most of it is planning stuff out so things fall into place. I pulled the top end off and it was nasty. I needed the aid of a ratcheting tie down to take the block off. the cylinder head is pretty nasty too, but I discovered that the previous guy had installed '89 gsxr cams in it (the aggressive ones)! the lobes had a little rust on them so I cleaned and polished them up.

as previously mentioned, the guy who had this bike put 78mm sleeves in the block, so I got some b12 pistons and going to have the machine shop bore the block to 79mm. these b12 pistons are a flat top and not domed like the gsxr ones, so I will not run a base gasket to bump up compression some. I haven't done the math yet, I don't know what my deck height will be with no base gasket and after the machine shop resurfaces the block, but the motor will be an 1137cc with a dot head and '89 750 cams, should be a beast

Ive got some 36mm slingshot carbs that will need to be cleaned up and rejetted, Id rather have some 38's so this beast will breathe but we will see how it runs. as previously mentioned, a 750 ignition will be installed. Im guestimating that this motor will make around 140 wheel horsepower and around 80 ft-lbs of torque

Rychen likes this.

G86
post #17 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 10:30 PM Thread Starter
Amateur

I wanted to make this info regarding clutch basket interchangeability a separate post because this seems to be a grey area on the forum. but its actually pretty easy to do. so as y'all might know, I have a 1052 basket (pitted from heavy rust, no good) and an '89 750 basket (slightly larger diameter clutch discs, shorter stack, in nice shape). the 750 basket gear is one tooth larger than the 1052 one. the 750 clutch is cable operated, but it is disengaged by pulling the pressure plate out from the inside.... the same way the hydro setups push it out to disengage. the rivets holding the gear to the basket on both setups are the same distance apart, so we have a contender! the 750 stack height is 1.25" shorter than the 1052 stack height, so the clutch actuating rod will need to be shortened

id imagine trying to keep the cable setup with this on the 1052 would not be possible without some modification since the stack height is shorter. the piece that the clutch actuating arm pulls on would need to be extended, and the seal on the other end near the countershaft will need to be plugged

concerning the basket gear swap, all you really gotta do is drill out the rivets (very easy, the metal is soft) and swap over the hardware, its all a direct bolt-on (well in my case, unless you re-rivet the gear) I countersunk the holes from inside the basket so the bolts I had would sit more flush and clear the inner hub. on the back side, I tightened the nuts as far as I could then ground them down, welded them to the bolt and tacked them to the basket gear, then ground the welds down to clear the alternator drive gear

Rychen likes this.

G86
post #18 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-23-2017, 06:51 PM Thread Starter
Amateur

has anyone tried using a 750 cam chain tensioner (slider) in a 1100? id imagine it would be shorter, but idk by how much. would this still work?
post #19 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-23-2017, 07:03 PM
Amateur

Garage

Man this thing is gunna be one serious basket case! I can't wait to see it run..

**cough cough** were gunna need some video.
post #20 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-23-2017, 07:39 PM Thread Starter
Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by maniac1886 View Post
Man this thing is gunna be one serious basket case! I can't wait to see it run..

**cough cough** were gunna need some video.
yeah I should've named this thread basket case project instead of rat bike, because its actually gonna be decent, and the motor is going to be awesome. Im almost tempted to just keep the motor if its a good runner and someday put it in my 750
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode