• 2 Post By suzukipojken86
  • 1 Post By OZ750L
  • 2 Post By javadog
  • 1 Post By javadog

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 01:29 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Limited or Special Editions.

GSX-R750LE question. In the Jan 2017 issue of Practical Sportbikes there is an article about a restored LE. It is written that there was 1000 Special Editions made and 300 Limited Editions made. With 150 of the Limited Editions coming in red/charcoal. I have a couple questions about this to clarify a few things.

1. Is there a difference between the two models except the 150 red/charcoal versus the white/blue models?

2. I have heard in the states we only got 300 of the white/blue ones. They were referred to as Limited Editions. Were they Limited Editions or Special Editions?

3. If I am understanding this correctly there was 1300 total bikes made and only 150 were red/charcoal. Is that correct?

4. Is there a book or anything that has production numbers with vin numbers so we can tell if the bike is a Special or Limited that can be trusted to be the truth?

I ask because I have a red/charcoal one and I'd like to know what model it is for future reference.
wicked86gsxr likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 10:11 AM
Lifetime Premium

Motorcycle: I don't ride anything. Who has the time? Plus, everything I own is in pieces.
Re: Limited or Special Editions.

Suzuki called them all Limited Editions. The magazine article is wrong.

Nobody has ever presented credible documentation regarding how many were made. There have been many claims but the only documentation I'd trust would be from Suzuki and that's never been presented.

Nobody has seen any list of the serial numbers used for these bikes. As the numbers were not unique to the model, but were interspersed among the rest of the models produced that year, it's possible that even Suzuki would have no list of them.

The bikes produced for different markets had differences in some of the parts that were shared with all versions made for those markets.

If you know enough about them, you can probably spot a fake. There are people, myself included, that could probably build one that would pass an inspection but nobody is likely to do that.

JR
wicked86gsxr likes this.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 11:52 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by javadog View Post
Suzuki called them all Limited Editions. The magazine article is wrong.

Nobody has ever presented credible documentation regarding how many were made. There have been many claims but the only documentation I'd trust would be from Suzuki and that's never been presented.

Nobody has seen any list of the serial numbers used for these bikes. As the numbers were not unique to the model, but were interspersed among the rest of the models produced that year, it's possible that even Suzuki would have no list of them.

The bikes produced for different markets had differences in some of the parts that were shared with all versions made for those markets.

If you know enough about them, you can probably spot a fake. There are people, myself included, that could probably build one that would pass an inspection but nobody is likely to do that.

JR

A person that does not represent Practical Sport bikes Mag but replied to my question on their FB page. Said this

"The red / charcoal ones were Jap market only . The 1000 special editions were black with gold paint versions of the standard bike ( no single seat / dry clutch etc) and came in 400, 750 and 1100cc versions"

Any idea of the Black with gold bikes exist? I have never heard of one. Please let me be clear. I am just asking, I am not arguing.
wicked86gsxr likes this.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 12:05 PM
Lifetime Premium

Motorcycle: I don't ride anything. Who has the time? Plus, everything I own is in pieces.

I think the red/black version was also sold in other markets. Australia comes to mind.

I recall seeing pictures of a black and gold GSX-R, maybe in Australia, but I couldn't say what displacement it was. Australia didn't get a huge amount of bikes in total, and I don't recall seeing any of that color elsewhere, so I don't know about the claimed 1000 units.

I think the black/gold model has been discussed here. I have no idea what it was called but I don't think it had anything to do with the Limited Edition bikes. My guess is that the total number of Limited made far exceeded 300 units.

JR
wicked86gsxr likes this.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 12:09 PM
Superstock

Black & Gold bikes (from magazine articles, and the cc versions you've mentioned) are reminiscent to 1988... and anyone - please correct me if I stray off path. The Black & Gold combination fairings were the Jubilee model. I believe the colors were the only thing special about these bikes. The 1986 Ltd. models, whether blue/red/white OR red/charcoal, went beyond a paint choice. There were specialty components, not just engine but other areas of the model - e.g.: alum chainguard, heelguards, billet upper triple, dry-clutch, etc.

jb_xx
wicked86gsxr likes this.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 12:13 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by javadog View Post
I think the red/black version was also sold in other markets. Australia comes to mind.

I recall seeing pictures of a black and gold GSX-R, maybe in Australia, but I couldn't say what displacement it was. Australia didn't get a huge amount of bikes in total, and I don't recall seeing any of that color elsewhere, so I don't know about the claimed 1000 units.

I think the black/gold model has been discussed here. I have no idea what it was called but I don't think it had anything to do with the Limited Edition bikes. My guess is that the total number of Limited made far exceeded 300 units.

JR

JR
Sounds like the Black and gold ones didn't have a dry clutch plus all other stuff. They were standard models with different paint. Well, that's what one dude said anyway. Who knows for sure.

I have personally seen about 20 of the red/charcoal ones in Japan so I'd be surprised if there were only 300 as well. I thought maybe the reality is 500 white/blue ones and 500 red/charcoal ones but that's based on a theory and I have no way of proving it.
SlingshotAndy likes this.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 01:41 PM
Track Day Winner

I recall seeing the black and gold ones in the UK, as far as I know they were standard models with fancy paint, a bit like the SZ models of the SV1000 and Bandits 12's.

The black and red special what-ever's, are pretty rare in my experience, I doubt there were many in the UK.
Seattle Slabside likes this.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 03:00 PM
Track Day Winner

We had the black and gold gsx-r1100-88 here in sweden also, there are people here that clames that it`s a jubilee modell, but they don`t know what they were celebrating. And it`s odd that the gsx-r750-87 had that paint and then one year later the 1100 had it.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-09-2017, 08:58 AM
FBH Operator

Motorcycle: 2005 GSXR750XK5 20th Anniv., 1990 GSXR750L Blue/White, 2005 GSXR750K5 Black/Blue, 1990 GSXR750AL Silver/Black Limited Edition 10th Aniversary of Suzuki Aust, 1989 GSXR750RK Race Bike, 1991 GSXR750M project, 1992 GSXR400N
Garage

We definitely had the black/gold here in Australia as a mate of mine had the 1100 version.
He also had a Top Fuel bike but that is another and sadder story.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 10:14 AM
Amateur

Motorcycle: 1986 GSXR Limited, 1986 GSXR 7/11, 1986 GSXR 7/12, 1987 AHRMA 750, 1994 CBR 900RR, 1976 XT 500, 1998 WR 400, 2002, 2002 XR 100,1989 GSXR1100

I'd also read that article in Practical Sportbike and shame on anyone who isn't getting this magazine. The way I interpreted the article is that the red/black limited editions were the 87 model and that's why the limited production run. Of course I'm often wrong as I tend to read without my glasses. LOL
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 10:53 AM
Lifetime Premium

In Japan, the red/black Limiteds were 1986 models. No idea what the others in the few other countries that saw these were, but I would bet that they were 1986 models as well.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 11:16 AM
Lifetime Premium

One thing I'll add is that the regular Japanese 1987 models got the same frame, front end (forks, brakes, triples, steering damper) and a few other parts from the Limited. I don't know if this confuses some of the pundits.

JR
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 12:28 PM
Track Day Winner

The front end on the limited is the same as the 1100 (NEAS) along whit the brakedisc and calipers.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 01:19 PM
Lifetime Premium

Actually, there are differences in the Limited forks and the 1100 forks, though they look mostly the same. They have different lengths and some of the internal parts are different.

JR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode