Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

Yosh stainless duplex question.

2K views 40 replies 12 participants last post by  old gsxr 
#1 ·
How much would you guys pay for a brand new 91 1100 full Yosh stainless duplex? Might have a chance to get one and I'm looking for a fair price to offer...it's a friend of a friend thing...

Thanks for your help!

#2 ·
As much as you're willing to pay. Best bet would be to go with your heart.... followed by the weight of your wallet. ;)

On a real note ... I picked one up from a really nice fella here, in minty condition. The price was not outrageous but then again the seller wasn't looking to pin his retirement on the sale of the component.

Good luck mate!

jb_xx

#7 ·
I'll buy it for $250 in a heartbeat! ;)

Anything between $500-$1000 isn't unusual, but again, you may find a great deal at under $500... in which case I would definitely encourage you to consider it seriously. You will always get your money out of it at that range imho. :)

-crisp

#8 ·
NOTE: In comparison, to get the highly thought of "remake" systems from Yoshimura for the earlier oilers sets you back about $1,200 give or take, and people are very happy with those. Many "retro" systems, especially a "NEW!?" Yoshi Duplex, are well in that market "niche".

As a point of reference, this is a stainless Yoshimura Racing Duplex system that is also complete and unused... I would NOT sell it for a thousand bucks. :D

Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Car

-crisp

#11 ·
NOTE: In comparison, to get the highly thought of "remake" systems from Yoshimura for the earlier oilers sets you back about $1,200 give or take, and people are very happy with those. Many "retro" systems, especially a "NEW!?" Yoshi Duplex, are well in that market "niche".

As a point of reference, this is a stainless Yoshimura Racing Duplex system that is also complete and unused... I would NOT sell it for a thousand bucks. :D

View attachment 484425

-crisp

Yep... that is the same system currently on my 1991 GSX-R750 there Crisp. The fella who sold it to me (great lad) had it stored under his bed in a box. Never really understood how it didn't get used ... but it was a real pleasure putting her onto my 91 750 road bike. Fit like a glove, with a exhaust note that is quite appealing (to me).

It'll stay on this bike.

As far as finding one for $250? ... or being no longer sought after? ... meh, that's just poppycock. Post a new-in-box one ... or equally good shape, onto the classifieds, and you'll see just how "unpopular" it will be. :monkeyface

Cheers.
jb_xx

#16 ·
No,but all of these would be appropriate: :flipoff :rolleyes :piss :thumbdown :dissapointed :wtf :blink :gtfo :smackbottom ,etc,etc :lol

Reactions: BLITZ2R
#12 ·
Beautiful pipe there and I really like that workspace, lol. I have a buddy who would gladly pay you more than a thousand for that.

I hope the pipe comes through, but time will tell, just gathering for my 7/11, been wanting one of those for ages. And I need to put my stock 91 back together first before I make another mess; had to get 2nd gear replaced.

flintcg1, I'm down for a ride once I get her back together, it's been a while since I've been out too. Kinda surprised that we haven't run in to each other yet, but it's a big city.

Thanks for all the responses.

#15 ·
If the general consensus is that the Duplex is the primo system for the GSXR, why did Yoshimura reproduce the Cyclone instead? Is it their concern with the canisters falling off, they found no performance benefit, or that the Cyclone was simpler and would have more demand due to a lower price point?

#17 ·
I had a legit full titanium Yosh Duplex on my '89 7/11(1371cc) that I gave to a friend when I put that bike back to stock-ish condition before I sold it. WTF was I thinking...oh how I'd love to have that hanging on the wall as a trophy piece in my mancave:banghead

Attachments

#20 ·
Has anyone run a Cyclone/Duplex back to back on the dyno? Where in the power curve does the Duplex gain/lose over the Cyclone, for a motor of any given level of tune?

I guess that sort of information would assist in pricing for a brand new version of one over the other, excluding any nostalgia inflation.

#21 ·
Boy, to be honest... I'm going to say such incremental variances are limited to specific setups, gearing, tuning and track conditions at the height of competitive edge too small for 99% of applications to really make any dramatic difference as an absolute statement...

I should think preference, style, and even image and desire to be truly "new" -vs- accurately "retro" or "period correct" weigh far more heavily in that contest. ;)

Edit: And EITHER are an excellent choice! :D

-crisp

#22 ·
And I'm going to agree with you :)

Were that given to be the case, when installed on the bike and shrouded in fairings, what are the visual clues to a Duplex system instead of a Cyclone? The visible pipework looks the same to my untrained eye, even the cans look the same - although the badges are different.

My point being that a new complete Duplex system would at the very least be of equal cost to a new Cyclone. Probably of more value to those really concerned about such things. If period correctness is an issue - when was the Cyclone first released for the GSXR?

#23 ·
And I'm going to agree with you :)

Were that given to be the case, when installed on the bike and shrouded in fairings, what are the visual clues to a Duplex system instead of a Cyclone? The visible pipework looks the same to my untrained eye, even the cans look the same - although the badges are different.

My point being that a new complete Duplex system would at the very least be of equal cost to a new Cyclone. Probably of more value to those really concerned about such things. If period correctness is an issue - when was the Cyclone first released for the GSXR?

http://www.yoshimura-rd.com/product/vintage-suzuki-gsx-r1100-r750-exhaust-system-180-511-5280.asp

I don't see that part of the history here, but pretty sure someone in here has first-hand recollection and/or catalogs with it listed from that era. I am thinking already in the latter '80s...

As far as appearance, I am pretty sure there were overlap in system dimensions with common exhaust can I.D. mount slip to midpipe, and unique header configurations that were specific between the two. The balancing tubes/cans are clear cues, but not so obvious under full bodywork and indistinguishable to those who know no better without being pointed out. I think your second paragraph is spot-on. ;)

Win-win.

-crisp

#28 ·
:hammer :cursing :banghead

#32 ·
In the season of LOVE and GRATITUDE.... I am not a Syrian, Kurdish, Ukrainian, etc. refugee...

Still - I am pissed I missed out on this....

(Blitz2R Lays hands on Oldgixxer)...

LORD! This man, "oldgixxer" - has a special sense of being!!
He, who had the bounty of your blessing, And chose to pass it on!!
He - being blessed with the "Pipe of Titanium"!
And LORD!!! Not just the "Pipe of Titanium"
But "The Pipe Of Titanium - Duplex"!!!!
In the spirit of "I am - TOO BLESSED" passed the Grail, nay,... the Ark!!...
To "another"....

No one died... no one's face melted... no one suffered...

But "oldgixxer"

A moment of silent reflection please....
Bless Him.

I - On the other hand - am a selfish son-of-a-bitch.....

Attachments

#33 ·
Lol ok now you guy's are making me wanna find that old friend whom I haven't talked to in 10yrs and see what happened to that damn ti duplex pipe I gave him:crying

#35 ·
What,you mean we're not close enough for you to give it to me for free? :lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.