Rebuild #3: Cosmetics and some - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-15-2016, 03:09 PM Thread Starter
Amateur

Motorcycle: 1986 GSXR 815, 2002 Bandit 1200N
Rebuild #3: Cosmetics and some

Like the title reads, Im finally getting around to redoing the cosmetics on my bike. Going with air tech "shark gill" mid fairings and fresh paint as well as addressing some minor body imperfections. At the same time Im doing a 17" wheel conversion as well as front and rear suspension conversion. wheels and front end are off a '91 GSXR 1100, rear shock will be coming from an R6 or R1, swing arm is getting braced. Ill post pics as I progress.

Ive seen a thread on here somewhere regarding switching over to hayabusa or bandit switch blocks but can't seem to find it. I think members here use the 'busa ones for the push/pull throttle to run flat slides. are these a direct bolt-on? my OEM switch blocks are 30 years old and a little knackered

G86
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-15-2016, 05:01 PM
Likes to race old junk.

Motorcycle: Vintage and New
Re: Rebuild #3: Cosmetics and some

I've got early Busa controls on my '86 1100. I'm only running a single Mikuni 42HSR, but I made the cables work...still have plans to make the fast idle lever, run the choke.
It was too long ago, to remember how much of it was plug & play, but it was all straight forward. I also needed to run power to a fuel pump, the Yosh meter, boost guage light etc and chose to do all of the electrical work at once.
I think its a great way to update the switch gear, hydraulics etc.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg April 23 2016 008.jpg (80.2 KB, 19 views)
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-16-2016, 12:04 AM
Amateur

Motorcycle: Gsx-r AL 7/11 89, Gsx-r 7/11 91, Gsx-r 750W 95, Gsx-r 1100 86, CBR-1000rr 08

I'm using 08 blocks on mine with separate throttle housing but you can use the gsxr housing for push pull. Good thing is you get the hazard option and they look modern. The mode switch is obsolete but you could always rig it for something else. I might use it for a fan switch if I decide to put a fan on the cooler These blocks are not plug and play but are easy to mod
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160214_162028.jpg (57.8 KB, 23 views)

post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-16-2016, 09:57 AM Thread Starter
Amateur

Those early busa controls look identical to bandit ones, seems like either option isnt a direct plug-and-play, I wonder what is involved in making these work. I like the idea of having hazard lights, I think my headlight/taillight will always be on regardless
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-16-2016, 10:05 AM
Likes to race old junk.

Motorcycle: Vintage and New

...Just follow the wiring diagrams, it wasn't hard.
You're more than capable.
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-17-2016, 12:00 AM
Amateur

Motorcycle: Gsx-r AL 7/11 89, Gsx-r 7/11 91, Gsx-r 750W 95, Gsx-r 1100 86, CBR-1000rr 08

Yep, not hard at all. I set them up using the factory plugs
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-04-2016, 05:36 PM Thread Starter
Amateur

all my parts are starting to come in one by one, and I cannot wait to get started on this project! Ive got two gas tanks, the original one that came on the bike is still in my shed, untouched since it has a failed liner with rust behind it. the tank currently on my bike it dented up and needs paint. I might just clean up the original tank and use that one since its not dented, dent removal id imagine would be costly and might not get all of them out.

the liner in the old tank is unknown, but it looks pale yellow in color. Kreeme possibly? I know acetone works pretty good at taking that stuff off, wonder if it works just as good on any other liner. thinking ill fill the tank with that stuff and have it sit for several hours, with some shaking in between. pour it out, flush it out with water, then fill it with cider vinegar to eat the rust for another couple of hours. flush it, neutralize with baking soda, and recoat with red kote

either way, ill end up with two useable tanks at the end of the day, both will need new paint regardless

G86
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-28-2016, 03:25 AM Thread Starter
Amateur

Im nearly done with this whole conversion / restomod thing, Ive pretty much worked every day for the past week and I have to say everything was pretty smooth sailing

the first thing I did was test fit the GSXR 1100 rear wheel. I reused the OEM axle and spacers, must use the 1100 hanger as the disc is larger. Perfect fit! Using a 180/55-17 Michelin Pilot Power tire, it gives a little less than a half inch of chain clearance and brake torque arm clearance. No modifications necessary here

next thing was bracing the swingarm. a CBR 900 payed as tribute, the tricky part here was fabbing the other supports. took to a local machine shop to get welded up as I don't have a fig welder

Once this was done it was time to install the new shock, a unit from an '06 Yamaha R1. this is a little bit longer than the original, the easiest way to get this sucker in is installing the shock bottom first and using a small scissors jack upside down under the top rails of the subframe to get the top bolt through. also the lower bearing area needs to be machined flat along the shock body on both sides to be able to squeeze in. with this and the braced arm installed, the top (compression?) adjuster is easily accessible with the side fairing off, of course, but the lower (rebound?) adjuster is a little tricky but still accessible

suzukipojken86 likes this.

G86
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-28-2016, 03:45 AM Thread Starter
Amateur

as you can see from a previous photo, the top of the shock body towards the horizontal bladder sticks up and is almost even with the top of the shock itself, causing interference with the battery. I cut the bottom of the battery box and raised the battery using some plywood I had lying around, this is probably a temporary fix until I find a better / cleaner solution. I also had to raise the back of the gas tank up about an inch to allow the front of the seat to slip underneath and into the anchor. It doesn't even look modified when everything is together to be honest

then I decided to do my own fender eliminator. I really like the turnout! ignore all those drilled holes, they will soon be covered up

as previously mentioned, I will be getting this bike repainted. and Im settling on a Lamborghini yellow, very similar in color to this Mercedes I saw at a dealership the other day

G86
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-28-2016, 03:58 AM
I CAN tell the difference between a squirrel and a monkey...

Location: In the garage, smoking one of Anthony D's cigars...
Motorcycle: None, gave them all to Anthony D...

I can't see any pics
post #11 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-28-2016, 04:07 AM Thread Starter
Amateur

the next big thing was the front end. it was pretty straight-forward. triple tree bolted up perfectly, the forks (very similar in length to the originals) slid in with the wheel, I discovered that I could reuse the GSXR 1100 handlebars by simply drilling a hole all the way through one of the existing tapped holes and mounting them underneath the top triple as opposed to over it. perfect fit using the original hardware plus two extra bolts and washers/nuts. I did have to modify the top triple to fit the ignition. lots of filing down involved here. entire Hayabusa brake system fit perfectly. the clutch and brake switches are different than the originals, all I had to do was cut the wires and splice female connectors on. probably another temporary fix til I find gel covered connectors or just splice on the correct connectors. with everything installed, the forks/triple clamps/handlebars with master cylinders barely clear everything with zero modifications. this setup has much wider fork spacing and obviously much larger diameter 52mm fork tubes

Heres how it sits now. Im almost done, I need to test fit the air tech mid panels now. last time I tried they looked like they weren't gonna work. if they don't, Ill need to see if they will work with the curved oil cooler, and if the curved cooler will work with the updated front end. once I get all this figured out everything will get painted

suzukipojken86 likes this.

G86
post #12 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-28-2016, 09:14 AM
Squid

Motorcycle: GSXR1100L GSF1200 Kat1100 TT500 BMW R1100GS R100S

Unfortunately your photo links are not working
post #13 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-28-2016, 09:34 AM
Track Day Winner

Motorcycle: 91 gsxr 711

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icekat View Post
Unfortunately your photo links are not working
Pics will work if you right click the image and open image in new tab. Bit of a PITA though.
post #14 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-28-2016, 12:02 PM Thread Starter
Amateur

there, photo situation fixed. off-topic but what do y'all use for image uploading software thats free? Im trying Flickr right now and I'm not too satisfied, Id usually use photo bucket but nowadays its plagued with ads and uploads take forever
post #15 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-30-2016, 02:55 AM
Track Day Winner

Motorcycle: 1988 Slabside 1100

Nice thread, enjoying the read. Thanks.
post #16 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 08:40 PM Thread Starter
Amateur

forgot to update this thread. I got it all together and driving, its definitely a different feel than before and in a good way. The brakes are SOO much better and the suspension stiffer, the rear shock is still currently on the softest settings for rebound and compression but the spring was in the tightest position, I loosened it up several settings and it helped with sag but still way stiffer than the stock unit maxed out. the 1100 front end makes the ergonomics a lot better too. I did have to stiffen the front about 3 or 4 clicks on both and it helped on hard braking. The ride is a lot more twitchy at speed and Ill be adding a steering dampener in the near future

Heres with full fairings on

The air tech mid fairings will not work with the stock oil cooler without heavy modification, however they work perfectly with a curved oil cooler in place. so I fabled up some simple brackets on top and the rest is straight forward as you can see in these pics. The guy I bought the cooler from had AN fittings welded on and are nice and makes installation quick and easy, only I spotted a leak on top of the cooler, I'm currently in the process of getting that fixed. I didn't get any pics with the air tech mid fairings in place but I managed to line everything up pretty nicely, but keep in mind that those air tech pieces will need work and IMO aren't worth $80 each, although they sure do look nice bolted up. All plastics are currently being painted, the next few photos Ill be posting up will hopefully be of my completed bike

heres the curved cooler installed. does not contact the triples or forks, no modifications necessary to the steering stops

suzukipojken86 and Slabby1100 like this.

G86
post #17 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 11:03 PM
Lifetime Premium

Motorcycle: 1991 GSXR 1100, 2004 H/D Roadking, 2011 BMW GS 1200, 1975HondaCL360 Cafe, 1975 Honda VFR 750

Nice build
post #18 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-18-2017, 02:11 PM Thread Starter
Amateur

Added a steering damper today, a generic adjustable one from eBay. It does limit the steering but haven't taken it for a ride yet. So far it works and looks pretty good. Right now it's bolted to the headlight "cage", probably not the best mounting spot but considering I'll never have it on max damping I think it'll be fine for now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2344_1487448493486.jpg (16.7 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2347_1487448509437.jpg (25.8 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2348_1487448536132.jpg (36.9 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2349_1487448559741.jpg (35.7 KB, 11 views)
post #19 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-19-2017, 02:13 AM
Lifetime Premium

Motorcycle: first gen 750's & a '99 750

sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but here are my thoughts on running a set of 1100 USD forks on first gens:

the 89-98 1100 forks longer than the 750's because they are designed to have the bars mounted above the top triple, so by fitting the bars underneath, and more importantly, sliding the forks all the way flush to the top triple like you have, you are drastically increasing the front-end ride height, which is exactly why you are experiencing dangerous/twitchy handling...that along with lowering the rear by fitting 17" wheel/tire and using an unknown rear shock.

even if you lower the 1100 forks, at least to the stock/original 1100 setting, the forks will hit the top fairing brace.

good work on the swingarm bracing.
post #20 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-19-2017, 02:22 AM Thread Starter
Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86gixxxer View Post
sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but you are going about the front-end conversion completely wrong.

the 89-98 1100 forks longer than the 750's because they are designed to have the bars mounted above the top triple, so by fitting the bars underneath, and more importantly, sliding the forks all the way flush to the top triple like you have, you are drastically increasing the front-end ride height, which is exactly why you are experiencing dangerous/twitchy handling...that along with lowering the rear and using an unknown rear shock.

even if you lower the 1100 forks, at least to the stock/original 1100 setting, the forks will hit the top fairing brace.

good work on the swingarm bracing.
I thought I mentioned on here somewhere, I did measurements and the USD forks are almost exactly the same length as the original '86 forks. rear didn't get lowered at all, it got increased by using an '06 R1 shock
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode