Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

Downsizing carbs from 40's to 36's

861 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  CHEMOTO 
#1 ·
Good day

I was thinking of going down from my 40 mms to 36 and was wondering what to expect, will there be loss in power in some range of the rpm ? Will there be gain ? Is the throttle more responsive ? I know these things mostly depend on the tuning of the carb but i mean in general.

Plus between the old flatslides 36 and the slingshot 36 whats best ?

If you were to chose from a fully jetted and tuned set of 40's and another size carbs for you 92 1100 what would be your choice. And please dont say fcrs lol

Cheers

#2 ·
its for an 1127? Id just keep the 40's on, especially if they're in good shape and tuned for the bike and it runs great. why switch?

youll be good with 36mm flatslides, they flow as much air as 40mm CV's. throttle response would be instant, youd probably get a little more bottom end grunt and keep the same top end power

36mm CV's would suffice too, but youd probably lose top end power at the expense of more torque and driveability

#3 ·
ok, i did the conversion from the 40s to the 36s, heres my feedback:

The reason i had to "downgrade" the carbs was a matter of having the 40s in terrible shape. Those carbs came with the engine i bought, which is a 1992 1100, and well, if the engine was and is in great shape, the carbs are and were not. The PO did new metrics in all the threads, increasing them from M5 to M6. Not only that but the floats were impossible to adjust, no matter how i bent the tab. The most suitable way to save time and headaches was to simply throw the 36s i had around in.

The only visual difference, appart from the size (40s are quite huge and look kickass in the bike), is the main jet size. 40s have 125 and 36s have 112.5 (I THINK¡¡¡ DONT KNOW THE FIGURES BY HEART). I assume the other jets are different, but dont know by how much

since i didnt ride the bike yet (never ending restoration and stuff), all i can say is that they are "quite" easy to throw in (smaller in size, easier to install....) and that the bike fires and holds the idle with ease.

I had my doubts with the conversion at first, but im really happy with it. Street testing are about to come though

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.