Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

They call these oil boilers for a reason I guess

2K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  Sacs 
#1 ·
recently been riding my '02 b12 everywhere, long hill country rides, twisties, wide open roads going full throttle, standstill traffic inner city exploring, etc. within the span of about 3 weeks I found that I was 1.5 quarts low on oil! it started running rough, firing on 3 cylinders, thinking it was a fuel issue since it started happening when I was low on gas but it didnt go away when I filled the tank up. filled the crankcase back to normal level and all is good now, starts easy, idles smooth, still has lots of power, no weird noises. I was afraid I mightve fried something since I ran it hard without knowing the oil level. has this happened to any of you? Im not burning the oil

#2 · (Edited)
My slingy 1100 loses some oil, i realize after 3000 km or so it drops about a quart or so.
Well it all depends on some factors, first of all the overall health of your engine (piston rings, sleeve clearance.etc) if these components are off spec oil will pass through them and get burnt by the combustion cycle, then you take into consideration its an oiler with no effective all-time cooling mechanism other than air so temperature inside the motor will virtually make oil evaporate, you can see that if you have an offset cankcase breather hose when the bike gets hot, usually happens when riding in traffic or if its summer and youve been riding for a long time, also redlining the motor from shift to shift will cause oil to get burned/or dropped in the air filter. You take all these factors into account and at the end of the day your case is a quart lighter.

At least thats my experience with this subject but im sure others with impeccable shiny new lovely picky motors might disagree

#10 ·
checking oil level is easy! get off the bike on the right side and pull it up off the kickstand from the handlebar and balance it vertically/perpendicular to the ground. having it on the kickstand or any other stand will yield incorrect readings

ill be carrying oil with me just in case for longer rides, and checking oil level before and after every ride

#11 ·
I find that kneeling down, grabbing the handlebar And brake lever with thw right hand, and grabbing the rearset, or any piece of subframe you can get your left hand on, is the most stable way to pull the bike off the kick stand. Just be mindful putting it back down. Im always afraid its going to roll off, so Im rather cautious when returning it to a resting position.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.