Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

Finally got myself a slabby!

4K views 36 replies 13 participants last post by  64george 
#1 ·
After a very long search I finally found a slabby at a decent price, decent for Aus anyway.

It's a roughy and it's going to require a lot of tlc. Has a leaking usd front end with later model rims,virtually no brakes, shabby fairings, no airbox and almost 90.000 km's! Best thing about it is the frame is in excellent condition with no pitting, scuffing or corrosion

I'll slowly strip it, see what it needs and.......

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Cheers, I'm going to put extra effort into this one. Motor apparently has been done and has cams in it,so I've been led to believe. Tried kicking it over but it would't fire. Hopefully it's good so I can channel the dollars elsewhere on the build :cheers

#7 ·
So far...

The good-
Clean frame
Clean straight tank
Unmolested wiring loom
Gauges very good condition considering
Has the genuine headers in very good condition

The bad-
Every fairing either cracked, cut or drilled
Suspension totally clapped out
Front brakes for display only
Seat has been recovered by somebody's grandmother
There are no 2 matching bolts
Air-box missing

The engine- Jury still out

I reckon this old beast has been has been through many owners who used it as a hack just to get them around and band aid fixed everything. The guy I bought it off actually used it as a daily ride in this state :/

#8 ·
Hey, well done. I also finally got mine around 6 months back and have been slowly getting it up and going. Found new carbs on e-bay, front shocks redone, shims and brakes sorted. Mine has 178 000 km on the clock and now runs just fine. A little rough on idle but pulls well and I have seen 240kph on the speedo :punk
I had to have a bracket made to fit newer callipers on the front end. I think they came off a slingshot. pic below.
I have done all the mechanicals now and saving up for the cosmetics which will happen later this year. For now I ride her every weekend and it's a great bike.:cheers

Attachments

#11 ·
Personally I wouldn't commute daily on a collectable classic but that may be a discussion for another thread

I managed to get it started with a little help of some fuel. Sounded a bit ratty down low, idled like a dog and wouldn't rev, brakes are crap and clutch feels like it's had it. Box felt smooth

Had this swinger lying around so mocked it up just for fun. Kinda suits I reckon. Wheelbase measures 1450mm

Attachments

#19 ·
Stripped the whole bike and gave the frame a good clean. Really happy with the way it came up. Not bad for a 30yo bike with 90,000 k's. The main part of the frame is excellent while the sub-frame has some minor pitting but overall, very good.

The engine had never been out of the frame but the top end has been off. I haven't opened it up yet to see what's there but I'm expecting to find some wear.

Attachments

#20 ·
Nice Job! Look at those nice welds. Gotta hand it to the Japanese MC makers.... they do some quality work, and we're looking at 30-year-old technology. I like it!

Enjoy the build. You're gonna have a nice little slabbie , and a lot of envious forum members, including me, when your done! :biggrin

:cheers

#27 ·
G'day 64George - are you referring to the indicator light lens below the dials? I was originally planning on getting mine reprinted or a decal made up. My '85 lens sounds similar to yours - ok but not perfect, so I'm leaving it at this stage.

I'll have a look through my parts, I may have a spare 1100 lens you are welcome to.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.