Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

i need some advice on the carbs for my 85 750

2K views 21 replies 9 participants last post by  Down South 
#1 ·
I am trying to decide what to do with the stock carbs on my 85. Will dumping the stock airbox for pod filters be an improvement? the bike is currenty running a wolf pipe. My choices are #1 replace the carbs with BST36ss (providing I can find some) with pods or to just replace my airbox with pod filters. The bike will be a daily driver once the warmer weather hits so I need reliabilty more than rocket ship like top end. Thanks in advance for your help.

#2 ·
Do you know if the carbs were re-jetted after the header was installed?
Does it run ok now? Are you having issues with the stock carbs?

If you are looking for reliability and not more power, then leave the air box on and enjoy it as is.
There is the potential for increasing hp with pod filters and a whole lot of tuning...but for a stock street bike, it will run great with the original air box.

Not many of these bikes have survived with their air boxes intact!
The Wolf pipe is a nice period piece as well.

#12 ·
The wolf pipe was on the bike when I got it, I can't speak to the jetting. I fell in love with the bike when i saw it the first time and i didn't ask the questions that I should have. i have only owned one bike before this one. i have no regrets, This bike is my screensaver at work, it just makes me happy to see it and I love it.

#3 ·
Absolutely agree with @Beairsto Racing

If you change anything on these bikes, you have to jet them. When I first had mine these was a fallacy that you could drop a new pipe on the bike and it would be heaps better without the need for jetting. Lots of shops in my area perpetuated that bit of BS and lots of bikes got pipe, made more noise but had worse performance.

My recipe for a reasonable 1st generation GSXR is:

• K&N in airbox filtercharger
  • Dyna mini-coils, good wires and NGK boots
  • +5 degree ignition advancer
  • have the bike jetted for that pipe

Do that and it'll be a good performer and it'll never let you down.

#4 ·
awasson nailed it. I'd follow his advice to get going. Only thing I could add is possibly replacing your carb bank entirely. But it's likely that it's not needed. Either way, make sure everything is synced up and jetted before you hit the road.

Reactions: mg4201
#16 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.