Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

bike won't turn over

2K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  vanman 
#1 ·
Hey guys I'm hoping someone here can help me. My bike (86 frame and body with a 92 oil cooled engine) will not start. No crank at all. I have replaced the kill/starter switch assembly and checked with an ohm meter which shows the resistance to be correct when the kills witch is on and off as well as correct when the starter button is pushed. Also checked the clutch switch which shows correct also. The kickstand switch read closed when it was supposed to be open and open when it was supposed to be closed so I bypassed that to see if that was the culprit to no success..still no crank. I replaced the starter solenoid also with no results. However if I jump the poles on the solenoid the engine will crank but no spark is put out. I am at a loss as to where to look to correct my problem. Could my cdi be to blame? Any suggestions and help would be greatly appreciated. I miss riding my girl.

#7 ·
Locate the orange/yellow cable/terminal out of the fuse box.
Then locate the orange/white cable out the right handle switches, kill switch, two ways:1) open it and locate the o/w cable 2)trace it in the connector, engine side.
Now bridge the terminals, orange/yellow from the fuse box+orange/white and try. It should crank..this way bypasses all switches (s.stand, clutch, relays etc) so it will exclude other issues (CDI,coils and so on)

#13 ·
All right guys I tried the wire bypass that sacs put up there for me and the old girl started up for me. Had to take the carbs and petcock off and give them a good cleaning, fresh fuel of course, and she seems to be running pretty good again. I still will have to eventually figure out what the cause of the problem is when its not being bypassed but at least I can start her up again. Now time to change the oil/filter since she has been sitting. Thank you so much to everyone who posted here trying to help me. Made my day to hear my girl start up again after so long.

#14 ·
I*still will have to eventually figure out what the cause of the problem is when its not being bypassed but at least I can start her up again.
Good! Now Cdi and coils are excluded so you have to check every segment of the harness concerning that orange/yellow that goes throughtout relays and security switches and check each by each for continuity, and the black/white earth wire too..you need the diagram ;)
Just a last reminder: until you solve it PAY ATTENTION AT THE SIDESTAND! AD CHECK NEUTRAL LIGHT BEFORE RUNNING THE ENGINE!! Remember all t the security switches are not working...

#15 ·
Yes I definitely will have to be careful. The clutch safety is still working tho. I have to pull in the lever to have it turn over and start. Will be rechecking the ohm meter on the switches and relays. Luckily I have repair manuals for the bike with wiring diagrams.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.