Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

Recommend a good street/trackday camshaft set

2K views 25 replies 9 participants last post by  BLITZ2R 
#1 ·
I have a rebuilt, but stock 86 1100 motor, with BST 38 mm carbs on it. I am looking for bolt in camshafts that will give a good boost, but still be relatively streetable. I live rural, so I dont' putter round in traffic. I have a car for that. It's strickly a scratcher/trackday bike. Welcome suggestions.

T.

#5 ·
not in all country (but even 11 87-88 got for few make that combo)
lift is not about duration
also timing (diff dialed) is bit different
gsxr-750 88

Intake....355 lift 248 degrees duration 104 lobe center 20 / 48
Exhaust....334 lift 242 degrees duration 104 lobe center 45 / 17
( measurements taken at .040 with zero lash at valve )

Attachments

#7 ·
not in all country (but even 11 87-88 got for few make that combo)
lift is not about duration
also timing (diff dialed) is bit different
gsxr-750 88
:dunno :banghead
As for the swap i know many Bandit owners fit GSXR cams to gain some peaked HP so i assume doing the opposite (and leaving stock 86 CDI) the result will be a boost in low-mid without affecting the red line limiter at 10.500rpm. Sounds good?
After all, B12 configuration is the perfect streetable engine..

#9 ·
Rather than change the cams, if the head is standard, get a street flow, it'll make loads more. Cams move the torque around and altering the phasing can give boosts - a bit of head work will give gains all over the rev range and work with those carbs. The early 1100 heads have more gains to make than many. Sink a bit of cash in that, else you'll have the deficiencies of the standard head with hairier cams and wouldn't get the best out of them anyway - that's my thinking anyway. The Bandit 1200 has very conservative cams, the head flows fairly well, so dropping gsxr cams in them wakes them up - your cams aren't too bad, but the head casting etc wasn't too good. - but that means flowing the head will yield more power - way to go I reckon.

#13 ·
So then, as far as stock, 88 750's look to be the same as what I have now, so aftermarket is the way? Mebbe some mild Yosh cams? I don't want to pull the head again, as I just put it together last spring! Want to bolt on some to make it a little healthier! What about flat slides as opposed to the CV 38"s? A better plan than cams?

#23 ·
the 1st stage 750 yosh cams are about the same as 1100 cams
I've played on the computer program port head flows, ex pipe dia and lengths intake runner lengths, lobe centres, higher comp, carb sizes, valve sizes/head flows , came up with only 10 more hp after going to Yoshi cam specs

did you know the port size of a 750 is big enough for 1200cc
that's the 750's biggest downfall, I did a thread many years ago
after I put up a Australian 750/995 build I think mag article that put out 160hp, people razzed it so I ran it through the computer program and came up with the same hp figures

#14 ·
In my experience, which is contrary to what everyone here says, flatslides do not increase horsepower. On my sponsor's dyno, I got the same peak HP number with stock 38 carbs and 38 flatslide Kehins. (105hp, stock long stroke 750 engine with a Yosh pipe.) The difference was driveability, which improved dramatically. Once I learned how to roll the carbs on just right, (easy, takes 1 session to learn) it came off corners much stronger. The peaks and valleys in the midrange were all filled in nice and smooth, so I could just rip away from each apex. Totally worth it as the bike becomes a lot faster everywhere and lap times drop. On the street, that would translate into much crisper throttle response.

Hey, if you want cheap thrills, just go -1 on the front sprocket and +2 on the rear. You could spend thousands inside the motor and not duplicate that simple mod for pure acceleration giggles.

#19 ·
I mentioned that my experience is with a 750 engine. It seems to me that if 38mm works well on a 750, that 36mm would choke an 1100. Maybe it would be really snappy at lower rpm but I'd think it might fade at higher revs. I don't know that for sure, but it seems logical. Maybe some more research in the archives or a call to Sudco will tell you what works best for an 1100.

While I understand that you don't want to pull the head, that's where the big gains are with these motors. I found one of the GSXR tuning gurus from back in the day and he is building me an obscenely expensive head. To begin with, I'm going to use 88 750 cams in it, both because I have them already and because they are good enough that Megacycle will still duplicate them for you; in fact they tout the 88 750 cams as an ideal roadracing grind. I may experiment with larger aftermarket cams later, (read next year) because that's a whole 'nother grand that I just don't have right now.

#21 ·
Sweet!! So... I'm guessing you'er the guitar player, but either way, solid band! Everyone's got chops... Great slide work on "I hear you knockin'" I hear keys on a couple tracks, but no KB player in the line-up.. somebody's got a good taste for reverb too... nicely done!!

Here's me (sound guy)... you cant see me of course, I'm out at FOH, local small blues fest, recorded on an ipad by somebody's girlfriend standing right smack in thunder alley so it's a little distorted but shows more of my rig...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnqUSghIjaU

Attachments

#24 ·
Let The Good Times Roll, good to hear some brass and you guys
got some class :cheers

Reactions: BLITZ2R
#22 ·
Yeah, that's me on guitar. Those tracks are 8 years old, but new recording is about to drop. Just finished mastering last night. I will post up some new tunes later if anyone's interested. Thanks for the kudos,,,we try. Bin at it since I was a kid, and I'm 61 now, so I reckon I remembered some stuff! Nice rig,,,, sounds like you know your way round mixing a big band too!

T.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.