Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

I am putting my 85 gsxr750 back on the road

3K views 32 replies 10 participants last post by  12345hendrix 
#1 ·
I just got the bug to put my 85 back on the road. I need a rear shock spring and maybe a brake rebuild kit. Do you folks have any good sources for 85 compatible parts?
:smile:

#5 ·
It's almost oiler rules that you post pics of your bike -we want to see

Reactions: mg4201
#11 ·
That is the first time I seen an actual Wolf pipe on a GSXR - they were made in the Kitchener area. That bike may have originally belonged to Mr. Wolf himself.... Talked to him once, and he had quite a story about how he uncrated an 85 which was fresh off the truck, and went on tour with it down to Florida the next day. He stopped at a few Suzuki dealerships to show it off, and one told him "get the hell out of here, if people see that thing, nobody is going to buy these damn GS750's"

#12 ·
I met Gary Wolf at the aviation expo in Hamilton a few years ago, Great guy. He told me that the first exhaust he ever made was for an 85 gsxr 750. I have no Idea if Gary owned this bike previous to me. The pipe sounds great. I don't know if it can be repacked when it wears out though.

#16 ·
I was more asking how much needs to be taken off the 1100 shock. I have a line on an 1100 shock. Everything else I would have to buy sight un seen. On the upside I found some mirrors that will let me see more than my arms when I ride. Thanks Down South.

#19 ·
This is what you're looking for: 07 08 Yamaha YZF R1 Rear Back Shock Absorber Suspension | eBay

Note that the reservoir is at 90 degrees from the shock. There is some adjustment to the battery box too but I believe some guys just insert foam in the box with a cutout for the top of the shock to clear the bottom of the battery. Lots of how-to's if you search R1 Shock in this part of the site.

#21 ·
Here's the first thread I read about R1 shocks: http://www.gixxer.com/forums/15-oil-cooled-gixxers/189585-r1-shock-slabby.html

Here's a good writeup of R6/R1 compatibility: http://www.gixxer.com/forums/15-oil-cooled-gixxers/196435-r1-r6-shock-fits-slabby.html

This is one on modding the battery box however, it might be more extreme than is necessary. The first discussion link I posted here talks about using washers to space the battery box enough for clearance: http://www.gixxer.com/forums/15-oil-cooled-gixxers/346752-first-gen-battery-box-mod.html

#22 ·
I'm going to buy for mine and i read a lot of threads about this swap but i couldn't find any pic of final result..
Anyone has side pics of bikes with R1 shock installed??
Even better R6 too, being bit shorter.
Ok for adding ride height but i don't like 1st gen tails going too high..works for slingshots not for slabsides

#23 ·
I wouldn't be worried about 1st gen bikes tails being too high. They are physically limited by the constraints of the pivot at about the length of the OEM shock. At least that's the way the 750's are. Even with a longer shock, they will only sit so high and the trouble is that you have to compress the shock a few mm's to get them to fit.

Regarding photos of them in bikes, I found lots while I was looking for those links I posted earlier. This first link has all you need to know about machining clearances and battery box clearance. Plus, there's photos of the top and bottom mounts.

#25 ·
Awesome! These bikes are pretty easy to work on and it's a pretty cool feeling when you take an older bike and get it road worthy again. From the photos you posted, it looks like it's pretty complete.

I'd recommend doing the steering head bearings and wheel bearings while you're at it. You can get the bearings from Suzuki or aftermarket (AllBalls, etc...). Get a chain and sprocket kit too... It will feel like a brand new bike :biggrin

I'd also rebuild the brakes (master, callipers, etc.) I just did the brakes on one of mine and am glad I did. There must have been 30 years of brake fluid breaking down into sludge sitting in the callipers and the master cylinder was clogged too.

Looking forward to seeing some progress with that rear shock. I'll bet it'll be a huge improvement over the factory one.

#28 ·
Damn :suicide

Yeah, Yamaha has two versions of their shock, one vertical and the other horizontal. It's the horizontal one you want.

Regarding the swing arm bearings, I would say yes, do service the bearings. I was under the impression that they weren't available from Suzuki anymore but according to one of the places I order OEM parts from they are still available. They are part number: 09263-22025.

Most parts I'll get from the dealer but if for one reason or another the dealer can't get a part in or it's ridiculously expensive I'll check some of the online places. I've Found Alpha Sports to be really good: Alpha Sports - Suzuki Motorcycle Parts Catalog

Note: Nobody I've been to online or in person realizes there was a GSXR 750 in 1985 so I often order from the 1986 model year.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.