Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

This is what happens when I get bored....

26K views 128 replies 39 participants last post by  64george 
#1 ·
Well it didn't take long. Bought this about a month ago with 65,000k's on the clock but looking at it I would say more like 15,000k's. Rode surprisingly very well and looks like it hadn't spend much of it's life outdoors. The muffler is spotless! Not bad for 24 years

The plan is to restore it back to as close to original as possible and to fight every urge to do any kind of modification

So far frame cleaned up incredibly well with minimal effort

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
That's exactly the kid I was and still haven't grown up! :)

With the frame I started off with degreaser,then yuk off, then a very light polishing compound. I'm happy with the result. There is some minor corrosion of the anodise finish on the sub-frame but it won't be seen.

Most parts will come up really good with a clean and some will need painting. I'll need to do some plating also which is a pain.Most of the bolts I may end up renewing and some parts I'll replace with nos such as switch blocks and other bits.

Hardest part is going to be the engine,whether to freshen it,modify it or toss in an 1100 or toss in a modified 1100....Common sense is saying to keep it stock

#4 ·
Yeah, it's such an original bike I reckon you should keep everything stock and original. I'll bet the engine doesn't need much of a freshen up they are bullet proof. Check out the gearbox, particularly shift forks & second gear. Keep an eye on eBay for NOS bits particularly England as the shipping is much cheaper than the US. Ntinos620 in Greece has good stuff regularly. Have fun!

#21 ·
Started off ok so far but momentum will taper off now while I wait for the motor. Might get a start on the plastics while I'm trying to source bits at reasonable prices. Anyone ever attempted to restore switchblocks? I've have no problem making the plastic look new but not sure how I'm going to go with the lettering. I'm actually thinking about lightly using a letter punch then paint. Anyone attempted this?

Need to find a capable paint shop also in Sydney. Any ideas?

#22 ·
Crows Custom Paints.
Ph: 9502 4353. He's located at Beverly Hills, directly behind the IGA supermarket. His name is Steve.

And then there's Hand Craft fibre glass, for all your replacement fairing and panels but they only do the solo seat mould, they also make the single seat cowl. Ph: 9674 3586

Hope that helps

#25 ·
I believe Colidescope are also insurance preferred assessors too. I took my Gixxer there to be assessed after being T-boned by a car, from them I learnt that they can't put write-off stickers on our bike because our bike were in production before that law was introduced. The insurance Co. paid me the market value, and I got to keep the bike :wacko

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.