Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

Doesn't suck

18K views 192 replies 29 participants last post by  long_av8r 
#1 ·
But these do.... well ok.. its actually the pistons that do the sucking... but in spite of the "carbon fiber incident" and a broken brake line all is well in my world today, .... now, cables and another round of tuning...

ANY ADVISE WOULD BE APPRECIATED

- oh and they came with velocity stacks and some sort of a heat shield I'm hoping is off of a factory Suzuki Schwantz only race bike (one can hope right??) that I've posted in another thread.. And there's probably one here somewhere but they came with a "Mikuni radial Flat Slide Carbeurators RS Series Owners Manual" which has a B/W photo of Kevin on a GSXR on the inside cover, so I figure it's late 80's early 90's anyway... if anyone wants a pdf of it send me an email, I can't scan small enough to get it posted here...

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Jackbird - Wanna know something funny... Actually it might piss you off...I was at a job last month and found this sign in a storeroom - they were going to throw it away!!!...

Then last Friday I FOUND those covers on my hero bike, I never had the plastic off until I was taking the only scratched panel off of it to drop it off for paint, freshening it up before I put it on my patio under the sign....

So anyway the RD?BK bike has a V&H powerpak and advancer on it so I swapped covers with the BL/WH hero bike... now here's where YOU come in... A couple of months ago we both were after a set of Yosh covers that I ended up getting but said if they didn't work out I'd offer to you... they didn't fit!! The ign cover won't allow the oil sensor(?) to clear and the clutch side cover boss for the stater gear axle (?) is in the wrong place by a few mm's - Don't know what they fit but they don't fit a 91 1100! So I still have the wrecked 750 I'm trying to put together parts for (got a racetail from Sully, needing a upper, mids and lowere - probabbly going to get an airtech set-up) but I haven't checked to see if the Yosh covers'll fit the 750 yet, so I haven't contacted you... bottom line - scrape up some yosh covers that'll fit a 91 1100 and I'll sell you both the V&H and Yosh sets I have... (did I just cross the red r line???)... So anyway....

Yes... pretty cool when you find those bouncing around the dryer on laundry day....

Attachments

#7 ·
OOPS!! Sorry Mike! I get you confused with 91gix, his names Mike too... how coincidental is that? Three of us named Mike... all into the 91... well that comment is waiting for him when he gets around to reading this thread...

#16 ·
Yep - I'm on it! I'm going to sleep tonight with that on my mind... planning to make little hose clamps to neatly tuck it away while keeping it as cool as possible, I still have to pull the carbs back off (I couldn't wait) and install the (Rodriguez) yosh-repro heatshield that is on its way (saving the OEM Yosh for the swap meet....), so when I have that on I can better guage where to route it... same with the front brake ("break" in my case) lines... I love this stuff - good thing I have pills for my OCD...:eek:hmy

#15 ·
It's not as funny when you explain the joke Jay.... some people just don't get Leon Redbone, or remember him for that matter... If you need a place to stay while you're down here I can hook you up... I've got a super crew F150 and the seats go ALL the way back....

And thanks Toot!- yeah - I agree - they are pretty sexy.... I smoked a half a pack before I realised I was obsessed about the contrast of the sandcasting and the black bolts....

#17 ·
OK so - Here's the header I plan on using, anyone know the difference in intent / performance between the duplexes that have fixed crossovers as opposed to springs and in the location of them higher or lower on the down-tubes?

Also, I was thinking of having these nickle plated.. anodizing? powdercating? painting seems too... easy... and if I'm gonna put the time into cleaning these up why not give 'em a little subtle cool factor??

Attachments

#193 ·
I admit, all I read was the title. That was all I needed to read. If she doesn't suck, divorce her and get a newer model.
OK so - Here's the header I plan on using, anyone know the difference in intent / performance between the duplexes that have fixed crossovers as opposed to springs and in the location of them higher or lower on the down-tubes?

Also, I was thinking of having these nickle plated.. anodizing? powdercating? painting seems too... easy... and if I'm gonna put the time into cleaning these up why not give 'em a little subtle cool factor??
I've seen the Duplex cans in various locations. Some are held in place with springs, and others are welded on. Do not powdercoat headers, not a good idea. If you want to go with something other than Jet Hot due to price, try Cerkote. It withstands heat, looks great, hold up against any chemical I've ever thrown at it, and I use it on my rifles so it holds up pretty good. I'd say it should work pretty good for headers, and its cheaper than Jet Hot because its applied thin and only to the outside.

There's a guy I've used to remove dents from rare 2 stroke motocross pipes and I had asked him about fixing headers before so I know he will do them, his pricing was very reasonable too. If the pipes aren't dented or anything, you can still send them to him to remove any buildup on the inside too. I want to say he did my 250 pipes for $75 and they looked like someone ran over them with a dump truck. Check out the links below. I have only used the top one before.

#25 ·
Jet Hot is the best stuff going for doing your exhaust. Been using them for about 20 years or so. They will blast the outer and inner, coat both inner and outer. Stuff is dynamite. Got some pipes which are 20 years old that still look good.

#31 ·
Have you checked fit of that header yet ? I'm not positive but that may be a first gen header. The second gen's usually had the "duplex" tubes mounted on the engine side of the head pipes. On one of my second gens with a header like that one the collecter would interfer with the oil sump. Just wanted to suggest you check before sending it out for coating.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.