front Fork too stiff need advice - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 01:43 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Winner

front Fork too stiff need advice

Hello guys , I had problem of leaking oil from front Left Fork of susspesion. I Have L2 GSXR 1000. I Removed both forks of course and Change the Oil and Seals on both of them, I used 43x54x11 seal + Agip 5w with 22 viscosity at 40C. Seal was not OEM but Size was same , My Forks OEM oil is Showa SS-05 with 15,7 viscos at 40c but now I am using Agip 5w 22visco. and now about problem

I installed Forks on motorcycle and started to adjust the forks like it was said on manual, I did everything correctly adjustment but forks was very very Stiff , then I setup everyiting ( spring pre load , damping force and compression damping ) to the softest possicion, I mean all parametres was setup to the softest, forks looks better now but its a bit more stiff then it was 1 month ago with Manual Setup .

could you guys tell me whats the reason of that ? is it possible that guys in shop who did the changing of oil and seal did something wrong on install of forks ? or is it possible that I installd fors on motorcycle wrongly ? or what is your advice what I have to check ?

thanks for reading my problem and wasting time on it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 02:37 PM
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to me.

Motorcycle: Blue 2006 GSX-R1000
Re: front Fork too stiff need advice

Hopefully others here know for sure but I think that your oil is too thick and you should have used Showa SS-25, which is 2.5W. In general, the Showa oils seem to have a low VI, so the viscosity change with temperature is relatively high.
Geesxara likes this.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 02:49 PM
Likes Diiiiiiiiiiiiiiicks

Motorcycle: 2006 GSXR "250"
Garage

Why in the world did they think it was necessary to use oil with 150% of the OEM viscosity? Take it back and have them put in OEM-equivalent 15.5 viscosity fluid.

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 04:01 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Winner

so this is 100 % oil fault and there is not chance of another problem ? SS-05 (oem oil) is 15.7 , and maxima Oil is 15.8 can I use Maxima 5w with 15.8 visco and everything will be ok ?
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 04:14 PM

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzi1000 View Post
so this is 100 % oil fault and there is not chance of another problem ? SS-05 (oem oil) is 15.7 , and maxima Oil is 15.8 can I use Maxima 5w with 15.8 visco and everything will be ok ?
I'm not going to say that is the only thing, because who knows what else that shop could have screwed up, but I know that a very good starting place is to use a fork oil with a similar viscosity, rather than assume 5W is 5W. And make sure they fully remove the old oil and use the correct volume of new oil.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 04:31 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Winner

thanks I will start with oil
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 04:49 PM
Amateur

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Nick View Post
And make sure they fully remove the old oil and use the correct volume of new oil.
This too.
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 04:55 PM
Not really old,just Vintage

Motorcycle: Dromaius Novaehollandiae

Quote:
thanks I will start with oil
Also like Just Nick said, make sure the quantity of the oil is proper. Overfilling the oil also will make it very stiff once you start to compress the forks, even if the proper oil is used. It will also make your seals blow out quickly.
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 05:33 PM
Drill baby, DRILL!!!

Motorcycle: '05 GSX-R1000
Garage

I think it was 101 mm of air space on my K5 forks?
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 05:39 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Winner

I am also thinking about to much oil in it becouse proper oil is 15.7 and i used 22 viscosity . Even when softest possitions of everything it looks quiet stiffy i think there is not only wrong oil problem . How do you think guys ? I dont have experiance 22 viscosity is too much from oem 15.7 ?

And could anyone teach me how to check oil lvl if its properly ?
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 05:53 PM
Drill baby, DRILL!!!

Motorcycle: '05 GSX-R1000
Garage

Quote:
I am also thinking about to much oil in it becouse proper oil is 15.7 and i used 22 viscosity . Even when softest possitions of everything it looks quiet stiffy i think there is not only wrong oil problem . How do you think guys ? I dont have experiance 22 viscosity is too much from oem 15.7 ?

And could anyone teach me how to check oil lvl if its properly ?
Properly- there's a special tool to measure/set the the oil level properly during the rebuild, after flushing and purging the air from the dampner. I'd ask them if they did this. It's in the service manual.

Hopefully it's just an oil and level thing- easy to fix relatively speaking
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 07:03 PM
Provisional Novice

Motorcycle: k3 GSX-R1000

Does the stiffness change after a hot ride?
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 09:07 PM
Not really old,just Vintage

Motorcycle: Dromaius Novaehollandiae

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliev68 View Post
Does the stiffness change after a hot ride?
I know my stiffness always goes away after a hot ride. Sometimes even before the ride is supposed to be over!
Todd_Sails likes this.
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 09:16 PM
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to me.

Motorcycle: Blue 2006 GSX-R1000

There's a big listing of fork oils and their viscosities here. But it's an image that is hard to use. I translated it into a downloadable spreadsheet here. Furthermore, believing that viscosity index was also important, I arranged them into four broad groupings based on the VI. So they're arranged by VI group and, within the group, by viscosity. I'd think that a group 3 or 4 oil would be preferred. The total number of oils is large enough that restricting your search to a group still allows a fairly wide range of choices.

Caveat: I don't claim to have any in-depth knowledge of the topic, I'm just providing reorganized data from others.
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 09:34 AM Thread Starter
Track Day Winner

I found new symptom forks goes down but it does not comes up fully . With hands of i will push up then its comes up any idea ? Or again oil ?
post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 09:49 AM

Garage

Quote:
I found new symptom forks goes down but it does not comes up fully . With hands of i will push up then its comes up any idea ? Or again oil ?
Well, compression and rebound are going to be significantly slower, and there bay be trapped air bubbles from them not bleeding the shock fluid. Basically, the whole thing should be taken apart and inspected.
post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 02:49 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Winner

So it must come up himself fully ? Becouse when i push down it comes up and after that with my hands i can push it up about 10 mm and it must not be like this and if i will push up side myself it must not go up 10mm ?
post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 01:55 AM
Track Day Winner

I strongly suggest you take the bike to a good shop and let them sort it out. Get them to set your sags as well.

You seem a bit confuselled and have created a bike that is dangerous.
post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 03:15 AM Thread Starter
Track Day Winner

New sympton i drived motorcycle and when i am breaking front wheel fast . There is sound like click. ( its voice like when you are torquing some bolt hard and in last secounds it have voice of click) after unbreak there is not voice . But when i will give motorcycle trottle . There is click voice again . So with my oppinion when i am braking forks goes down and there is click. When i am un breaking motorcycle mabe does not comes up fully and when i trottle gas motorcycle jumps up and it have click

The problem is that in my country there is only 2 shop and i think non of them are qualificed . They have done forks for old motorcycles but i think thay have never opend showa like i have

Thats why i am trying to gain some information with this simpyhoms to try fix it
post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 01:10 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Winner

Damn i have new problem left fork which was oil leakig from oil seal. Now its not leaking from oil seal but oil comes up and leaking from down side of fork here is picture from where oil is comming.

What i have to do to fix it ? Or what is the reason of leaking from there ? There is some seal or somthing ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170216_230813_1487272199164.jpg (19.7 KB, 32 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode