Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

New frame options? Get in here and help me save an 06 1k

2K views 27 replies 12 participants last post by  Badrice 
#1 ·
Well lads it's happened, lowsided in the canyons this weekend and my frame sliders did their job incredibly well

Except for the part where the left one caught a crack in the pavement and flung my k6 1k 10 feet into the air while I was sliding on my back away from it helplessly watching it disintegrate

Worst sound in the world rankings has "bone breaking" demoted to 2nd, with "k6 frame snapping" taking number one

Bonus photos of the scenery included

I'm dead set on rebuilding, don't want to hear shit about buying another bike, I have the cash for the s1000rr but I'm set on rebuilding this girl thats been so good to me

Need your guys advice with frames/sourcing/what's legit whats not and my options from here

If anyone wants to see photos of how a shoei rf1200, alpine stars smx 6 boots, scorpion covert pro jeans, gp air gloves and gp tech jacket hold up I'll post photos, 10/10 would buy skinned kangaroo jacket again

https://imgur.com/a/UZ33Q

See less See more
#2 ·
Woah that's bananas. Glad you're okay. I respect your loyalty to the bike but holy smokes where to begin... even if the motor is salvageable it looks like new frame, forks, wheels.. maybe just the pics but they all look bent. I'd start with a full inventory.

If you're replacing half the bike, might as well buy the same bike again and swap it over if this one has sentimental value.

Yes please share photos of the gear and tell us more about the crash.

#3 ·
https://imgur.com/a/z1HoN Sorry for the iPhone photos, let me know if there's anything else you want to see (bonus photos of PR4 chicken strips)

I think the forks look pretty straight, I tried to get them from a couple different angles to tell, the front rim is bent inward though it'll need replacing

Crash story is pretty lame lol..out in the twisty bits riding solo, was leaned over halfway through a tight turn when another rider comes up the other side and waved..so I waved back :suicide

Without even thinking I took my left hand off the bar and waved back..and didn't recover in time lol :wacko first crash ever riding, first crash in 3 years pretty lame as far as crashes go, lowsided and slid on my back, frame slider turned bae into a catapult and here I am :drool

#4 ·
Well that really sucks man,but more importantly you are ok.
I have seen several K5/6 frames for sale on the regular. Mostly on the drag race-specific groups on FB.

You're in luck,because the K5/6 is one of the most popular drag race 1000's so there are shitloads of OEM parts for sale 24/7 on the drag forums,just as Im sure there are on the WERA/roadrace forums.

There is also the option of buying your Red R and sourcing good,used bits from our members here.

#9 ·
I haven't claimed anything on insurance, titles still technically clean

If I can get a clean title frame, with the title, just swap everything over then notify the dmv?

I'm looking on the 13x forums and theres a few frames for sale, one with a "clean vin but no title", there's a few with this story apparently?

#6 ·
Frame sliders can help if the ground is perfectly smooth, but I've seen them cause ridiculous amounts of damage when they catch on anything and fling the bikes. It's a double-edged sword, with one blunt side and one razor-sharp side.
Glad to see you made it out okay.

#14 ·
Glad you're alive and well, but you should really come up with a better crash story ;)

Gear ftw, definitely saved a lot of your skin for sure.

Those pictures are gnarly...and the few scenery ones mixed in make it extra sad.

Good luck on the rebuild, you may want to get that s1000rr while you wait for parts :twitch

:cheers mate

#15 ·
I couldn't tell. Did the bike have the frame brace?

This will give you an idea of what used frames go for. Even cracked ones go for a fair amount, though the buyer might have been thinking in terms of getting it replaced under warranty - iffy on a ten year old part.

Perhaps sliders with rounded ends like these or these would be less prone to snag on things.

At least you're OK.

#17 ·
Asshole :facepalm :lol

#25 ·
I feel your pain - I felt exactly the same about my K7.
I still miss her every single day, and with insurance BS I'm still stuck without a bike since September last year.

Just out of curiosity - is the insurance not taking over the title if they write off the bike as part of your claim?
That is what the normal process here is, so once they decided mine was a write off, I gave registration papers over to them and they paid out for it. I never saw her again after the accident.

#28 ·
Usually if you work with insurance you can get a check for what they think they should pay you and sometimes you have an opportunity to buy the vehicle back from the insurance company before it ends up in an auction. I am not 100% clear on what happens to the title, usually if they take ownership it becomes salvaged at that point. It may stay clean if you buy it from them before auction.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.